Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

May be joining the flock...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: May be joining the flock... Reply with quote

Hi to all! I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase of the 1997 SB6R. One owner, under 6k miles, new tires, carb service. Bike sat in a collection without much use, if any since 2000. The facilitating dealer replaced the oil and serviced the brakes - need to get more details on that last part. Bike starts good, warms up on a choke. Throttle response good, braking decent (I currently ride a BMW R1100S with ABS that's fantastic) What should I be on a look out for when looking at the bike and anticipating service/repair items? Thank you
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha Very Happy
Always nice to have another member on board.

Ok - you can assume the bikes been standing so additional to whats been done - I'd ask for the brake, and clutch lines to be replaced. The lines themselves are ok but the unions tend to brake, Bimota have them as a replacement after 6 years. HEL have the measurements over here so maybe they can do a set for you.
Check the clutch - ask for a ride if you can. If it starts to drag or slip in anyway then ask them to sort it out, changing a clutch pack is an engine drop (because the frame goes over the cover) if they won't then look to bargain with them.
The front sprocket is also an engine drop to change so check the chain and wear on the rear sprocket.
Check the bodywork is ok with no cracks - it's not cheap / easy to get replacements. Yours being in a collection should be A1.
You'll need new tyres - see if they'll change them for you
The standard Antera wheels are very heavy ... look to change them when you can.
The fuel pump is usually bypassed for a gravity feed tap, but that's a later job.

Check all the rubber that you can because its been standing, look at the fork seals etc
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC, thanks for the heads up.
- tires are new on the original Anteras.
- brakes have been serviced - but I need to see itemized list of work done
- oil/filter replaced
- clutch - I rode the beast and did not feel any slippage. Shifts great, first gear goes in like riffle bolt action.

You are echoing my concern regarding seals and lines. The bike is on consignment with a Ducatti dealer who originally sold it to its owner. I was told that everything has been done to bring it to a riding condition - whatever that means. I will request an itemized list of work performed but it does include redoing the carbs and synching them. I saw the motor and its bone dry on the outside.

The speedo needle was erratic, especially under 45 mph but with things happening so quickly I wasn't really keen on watching the speedometer.

How is the reliability of the SB6R? I get the Gixer motor/trans is Suzuki solid, but what about the rest of the bike?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally good.
You have to amend your head a little bit with Bimotas. Bikes are designed engine and frame they have things done to aid their practicality, generally at the cost of performance or weight. Bimotas design the frame, they go for performance and weight loss at the cost of practicality. Once you understand that you understand what these bikes are about. However the 6R has most of the glitches of the 6 ironed out (I have a 6)

The clocks can be unreliable, generally once they're gone theyre gone, owners replace them with modern aftermarket like Koso, which are used on modern Bimotas. However it could be the cable, replace it with a standard Yamaha one from an FZR.
The head light is from a Yamaha FZR too you might want to replace it for an H4 single bulb unit if you ride at night - try the standard one first.

Have a look inside the fuel tank, there have been some people who have problems with modern fuel - I haven't. Just make sure it's clean with no deposits (it's a black plastic tank). I doubt there's a problem though.

There are jobs and mods you can do to the bike but generally you get into that when you own it.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: SB6r Reply with quote

The 6r has the potential to be a truly great bike, but that largely reflects how rubbish it is out of the crate. The biggest minefield is fuelling, which is wrecked by a Mickey Mouse fuel pump. The pump has to go, giving way to gravity, which works perfectly well on this bike. The other thing that can interfere with the fuelling is ethanol in fuel dissolving the inside of the tank and depositing an unpleasant paste on the carb internals. After you've addressed these 2 issues, biking nirvana is only a set of carbon wheels, lightweight mufflers and new clocks away. Of course you could just take a short cut and direct this not inconsiderable expenditure towards a modern bike. But a gixxer 11 motor running nicely in a lightweight frame is a proper tool and no mistake!
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new developments - the bike was dropped while in dealer care due to a kickstand not properly extending. These bikes do have a crappy KS so I'm not completely surprised this happened. The fairing suffered damage and is now being repaired. I did not see the damage but I wonder how they will repair the carbon weave... However, I'm still in the running - this impacts the price and we are sorting that out.

To make the story short, I got the dealer (and consignor) to meet me at $5k. However, it is still subject to the complete list of recon work the dealer did up to date because at $5k they will be selling it to me as is, without any further work (need to be sure that they will at least go through with proper fairing repairs). That's why it's important to understand what exactly has been done. I saw the tires and know the carbs have been serviced and sync he'd, but no other real details.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike was dropped off the sidestand you might find it's just cracked the paint - carbon can flex to extent without breaking.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not seen the fairings. It's on the lower section. According to a salesman I'm dealing with the left decal is also being replaced with a reproduced decal - I guess originals are n/a, at least according to them. I think he mentioned that they found a used section but for the right side and it was just under $900. I will go to the dealer over the weekend to see the Bimota again.Anyway, I hope to see exactly what was done to the bike - If the clutch and brake lines and seals were not addressed, I may pay them extra to do that.

All in all, this is becoming more troublesome than necessary. I already have a 2004 BMW R as my primary ride. This was going to be a second bike. I'm ok with repaired fairings as that situation is helping me keep the price at a level where the wife is not complaining too much....
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: the dealer is fixing the fairing. work should be quality.

Still waiting on the list of work done to recondition the bike.

Why am I so excited about this bike?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're excited because it's a Bimota.
But you've got a BMW .... and a wife ... you're on very thin ice. These bikes will make you cry and you'll still feel the jump in your heart when you open your garage door.
Get out while you still can ... run Forest run
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Think about it logically... It's a Bimota, it's reasonably rare (only 600 EVER produced), it has very low milage, it has a bullet proof and proven Gixxer engine, most parts excluding frame and bodywork are easilly obtainable and with a little love it's a real weapon and joy to ride. Any Bimota is collectable and has character style like few other sports bikes of the era. 6R's are going for $15k in Australia. For $5 grand it's a good deal IMO.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
These bikes will make you cry and you'll still feel the jump in your heart when you open your garage door.
Get out while you still can ... run Forest run

It's very hard to stop at one Bimota... i still can't help myself, i'm looking at the Bims for sale all the time Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, thanks for another vote of encouragement. The reliability of the Gixer motor/trans coupled with italian styling holds the attraction for me. I liked the power delivery. Bimota ground their own cams or so I read giving this bike 156 hp?l I may take run back to the dealer tomorrow to see if the fairing is fixed. As far as addiction to italian vehicles goes, I know it first hand. My 4 wheeled poison is Alfa Romeo. I'm on my 8th one, but pared it down to one Alfa. That's how you decipher ALFA - Always Looking For Another...

Bimota has a limited following in the US. Doesn't mean that they are being given away for free but takes a long time to find a buyer. Those looking for cheap frills can get a late 90's Gixer for under $3k. Those with more money in their pocket will go for a more mainstream newer bike. Ducatti is the latest trend in the US - it's a trendy 2 wheeled version of the ubiquitous Porsche 911. Some people buy the and Leave them sitting looking pretty in their garage because they can't handle them. $15k in U.S. will buy you a 2007 TriColore. As for the price of the bike I'm looking at - it's reflective of the condition of the bike. The bike was dropped, fairing damaged - originality greatly impacted. It is no longer a prized collection piece but it is now a daily rider quality which is exactly what I want. Several years ago I bought a 10 y.o. BmW R1150R in as new condition and I used to worry about riding that bike because I didn't want to be the one put the first scratch on it. Ended up selling it, partly because of that.

Last edited by Tirefriar on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cams are standard Suzi but by that time they wee using the Yoshimura profile. 156 is quoted from the Suzi literature but the 6R do have good performance the ram air gives a bigger airbox.
One thing -you'll probably need a suspension setup, Bimota didn't really set it at the factory. I dropped the clip ons down the forks to get under the screen a bit more.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on taking another look at the bike as soon as the fairing is back on. I will take a few pics and try posting them. From my initial test ride, I remember the clip ons to be pretty low on the tree. Could be the effect of jumping back on the Beemer after the ride though. Can or should the ram it be modified for better breathing? Are mechanical a/m upgrades interchangeable with the Gixer? One other concern is lighting - I don't plan to be riding too much in the dark but because I crouch on the bike and thus not as visible as on a more upright bike. So the first mod I was thinking of doing was upgrade all lighting to HID for greater visibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: