Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: SB8R exhaust Reply with quote

Like a few others I'm thinking of tidying up the rear end of the bike by having new link pipes made and using smaller end cans. I've taken the seat unit off and the silencers and link pipes but now I want to take off the mid link pipes that come up through the hole in the swingarm as the welded on exhaust spring locator has broken off and I want to get a new one welded on.
Question: is there an 'easy' way to disassemble? I've taken off all the springs and unbolted where the pipes bolt to the frame but I can't seem to wiggle the pipes free by either pulling down from the rear cylinder or back from the front. Any advice would be appreciated.
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the exhaust from the front and rear cylinders seams to be the best way. It is a bit of a cluster F#%k though. Some crud might of built up in the slip joints, might need to heat the joints up to get them moving again.
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
Paul777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: SB8R exhaust Reply with quote

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid that after a nasty experience shearing off a stud on my Gilera Nordwest but it looks like I'll have to do it. And yes, one slip joint did fail to slip and required a large hammer, a drift and some swearing.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray plenty of CRC, WD40, Penetrene (or what ever is similar in your country) onto the exhaust studs and leave to soak. That should avoid breaking manifold studs
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851

Last edited by brian on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: SB8R exhaust Reply with quote

Had the new link pipes made and I think they look great with the smaller cans, tucked up and not sticking out, I'll try and post a pic when it's all back together
russtysplit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul - I would be interested to see the result , have you had the cans made aswell or modified the originals?
Cheers-Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: