Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10 Neutral light!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: DB10 Neutral light!! Reply with quote

Hi chaps, just another post requesting information...
I have blown the cobwebs of the Bim in order to get it ready for some playtime soon. I started the bike to ensure that all was OK after her winter hibernation and to hear what she sounds like after I have removed the baffles from the exhaust. When revving the engine over 4000 rpm the Neutral light flashes on and off! I have run a separate earth wire from the battery to the engine just in case it was an earth related issue. Any one out there had a similar experience ?

Regards Glen
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of that one before.........the neutral light switch is the one popping out of the back of the engine adjacent to the swingarm and exhaust...so maybe you have knocked it when playing with the exhausts??

Its a standard Ducati engine item....and the neutral switches are known to fail/give false readings...so its an easy replacement if you need to....check the connecters are clean and fully in place...and fiddle with the wires...corrosion can build up in the wires over winter....so it may sort itself with being run for a while.....Cant see there being any issues with it though flashing on and off....
glened

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, not had the exhaust of the bike but thanks for the info on the neutral light switch, I will investigate further and let you know if anything shows up. I have tried contacting Zard with regards to de catting the bike, heard nothing from them. With that in mind do you want the bike on the stand for the Manchester bike show? I can drop it off on the Friday and will come to the show on the Sunday and take it from there. If not I will just see you on the Sunday.

Regards Glen
CNC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the bike on side stand or on back stand when starting / reving? I would check switch on side stand...
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
Thanks for the reply, not had the exhaust of the bike but thanks for the info on the neutral light switch, I will investigate further and let you know if anything shows up. I have tried contacting Zard with regards to de catting the bike, heard nothing from them. With that in mind do you want the bike on the stand for the Manchester bike show? I can drop it off on the Friday and will come to the show on the Sunday and take it from there. If not I will just see you on the Sunday.

Regards Glen

Yeh if you'd like to bring the bike to the show that would be great glen....I'm only about 10mins away from the Venue...so even if I'm not there at the time you show up I could easily be there....
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the intermittent turn signal issue that I had. It has fixed itself. Now if the leaky fork legs would just fix THEMSELVES!
1965 Triumph T100SC
glened

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their replies. I followed Steve's advise and cleaned the contacts to the neutral light switch, pain in ar*e to get to it as it is tucked away at the rear of the engine. Spent some time with wire wool and wet and dry sandpaper, hey presto the problem is now fixed. I have applied a generous amount of "petroleum jelly" to the contacts and replaced the wire.

Now I wonder if wire wool would fix the engine management light fault !!!

Thanks again
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear...."ladies" nail sanding files....the stiff cardboard versions are quite good in those situations where access is an issue......Ducati electrics just dont like NOT having current run through them...real low grade copper methinks...a start up at least once a month over winter is essential to keep juice running through the wires and cuts down on corrosion.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: