Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Jollymoto exhausts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Jollymoto exhausts Reply with quote

Hi all
Has anyone ever tried fitting something inside the silencers of a set of jollymoto pipes to make them a bit quieter for the road

Joe
JRH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine don't seem that loud.
The bike passed a Donnington track day noise test.
Maybe yours need re packing?
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What did yours register on the db test for Donington ? my v due isn't that loud but you'd hear it coming the pipes are new so don't think its the packing.
SethG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are much louder when you're sitting on the bike. I swapped rides with a friend a couple of times and when he was on the v due I marveled that it seemed like a quiet bike.

In fact I almost wondered if it would pass Laguna's noise requirements
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Seth....at tickover when sat on the bike it does seem loud....but less so when actually riding and at hgher revs.....and if you let someone else ride it and follow them its not so bad as say a Vtwin 4 stroke........Even tootling around at 4-5thou revs they aint so bad....but really pop and bang when engine idling letting gases being built up then exiting as opposed to being flung out the back at higher revs.... Laughing

Get it out in the open , out of the garage/lounge....away from built up areas etc as it really cannons around in restricted spaces....

Never been "pulled" on mine....think most folk are just happy to see a 2 stroke and it being a Bimota...

New cans also sound louder when new with new wadding....tend to lessen off a bit after getting a good soaking in 2 stroke oil from running...
JRH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static I think I was 102, drive by was way under.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from recollection the VOSA Dept Of transport limit is 98dB at half power revs...i.e. 4,500rpm.....evidently...theres still no measured limit at MOT;s as yet....fortunately
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Johnston wrote:
Hi
my v due isn't that loud but you'd hear it coming the pipes are new so don't think its the packing.

First time I heard a JM vdue I thought it was loud, but when I got one and compared it to some of my other bikes ,( not very scientific just running next to each other) , decided it was not the volume but the tone/frequency of the noise .
Like the others I never been pulled for the exhaust , you just need to ride faster so they can't catch you Very Happy
SethG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's ask a better question, does anyone have any information to indicate that the Jolly Moto's even make more power than stock?
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Northern Ireland MOT'S are performed in government test station so if it sounds loud the tester might start looking for stamps on the pipes and the jm have no stamps When the v due's are put through the VOSA test do they not look for a stamp or do they do a sound test ?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair question Jo....reality is dependant on whether the bike is being put on an age related number plate....96/97....which comes from the frame serial number....V,w,X,y,Z....or whether the bike is being registered as a brand new registration for a 2015 bike.........Vosa test isnt required for any bikes that were first made over 10 years ago...only an MOT is required for these...for which there is no noise test........If less than ten years old then Yup...the 98 decibel level has to be passed and a VOSA MSVA test is required........If the exisiting original pipes are put on...with the twin sound deadening canisters under the seat and side swept double barrel additional cans...these will pass the noise test of an MSVA.....the BS standards or stamped cans makes no matter as they are still required to do a noise level check if an MSVA is carried out....Due to the twin cans under the seat they are quieter...and thus to me at least...power is more restricted as an effect of strangled breathing compared to the Jolly motos that have the expansion chambers and single rear cans without baffles.
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that 2bims you certainly cleared that up.I'm ok this year as it's mot'ed till October and plan to make 2 insert for end cans to lower noise for mot test's only. On a different subject I'm looking to change the gearing going either down 1 tooth on front or go up 2 on the back anybody know were I can get sprockets front or back
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What've got on it at the mo Jo? A lot of folk do go down one on the front...and smaller sprockets are available....and some bikes came with larger rears also....Wheels and cush drives etc are for Antera wheels and theres a few dealers out there that stock various sizes for these bikes/wheels....mostly in GErmany though...

Bike Torque racing do rears for the Later DB2's, Later Sb6's and YB11's that all had antera wheels...but best to contact and confirm rather than click and buy

http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/afam/standard-size-afam-front-rear-sprockets/10252036.bimota900-db2-sr-95

and these guys also do Bimotas...but again you have to know what wheels were fitted to what bikes.....evidently dont be looking at the front sprockets though as these are specific to the engine.......

http://www.wieres.de/Shop/bimota/1

Other than that contact Piero

Oh...if youre thinking that the changes will make it easier to pull away in first gear...yeh...but only slightly....taking the engine to 3-4thou revs and slipping the clutch is the prescribed pulling away practice...any less and the engine dies and stalls...any more is still possible but be prepared for the sky to come quickly into view... Laughing ...Takes some getting used to...but then life was always too simple before you owned a Vdue.... Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and if you do stall it....they wont start when in gear...even with sidestand up and clutch pulled...you have to reselect and get back to neutral...and then sometimes the starter button wont do anything...as the ecu still reckons youre in gear...so switch off and switch back on again at the key...and sometimes its in neutral but the light is off...and sometimes its in gear but the neutral light is on....either way it still wont start until light is on and it is actually in neutral....best to get that one clear and out of the way as it takes a bit to figure out....and if sometimes when you press the starter button and it does nothing...jut keep it held and it will come to life....thats about it.....It is Italian afterall
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Johnston wrote:
On a different subject I'm looking to change the gearing going either down 1 tooth on front or go up 2 on the back anybody know were I can get sprockets front or back

I went up 2 teeth on the back to 41 when I change to Dymag wheels. Does pull away slightly easier now , but still have to rev it and slip the clutch. I have a 16 front on mine.
From memory I think the standard setting is 16 front , 39 rear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: