Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 or YB11
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: YB10 or YB11 Reply with quote

About 5 months ago I thought I. Was going to buy an SB6R. The seller had other thoughts and sold the bike from under me but not before I got a chance to go for a test ride. That ride got me hooked and I've been looking for a Bimota ever since. Long story short - found a YB10. Same seller has a line on a YB11.

I haven't ridden either one. YB10 is down on power but lighter and more agile. YB11 is more powerful but a bit more porky. I'd like to get feedback on pro and cons of both. any inputs are greatly appreciated.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the YB10 a Biposto or single seater?

Both bikes sharing identical engines praticularly....and weights and power output (depending where you look) are only a few kilos different and power is the same....

YB10's have USD marzocchis....so fork seals should be easy to come by....YB11's all came with Paioli 51mm RWU forks.....which are know to fail and be near impossible to find seals for...and tolerances on the 51mm tube size are known to be out of spec...hence the failing...so if you are due to be riding either of them...it may simply come down to which is practical. I've owned and ridden a YB11, and whilst the riding position is strange at first....long distances can be covered on the bike in relative comfort...a low seat...wide and long...bars way in front...and pegs way back...but not too high..........

All down to personal preference really...the YB11's are a bit off in my view re styling...looking portly with a long rear end for the twin seat...which is helped if the owner has the removable single seat "pod" that attaches for single seaters

I prefer the swirly red and white paint scheme of the YB10 dieci to that of the YB11...each to their own

Clocks on the YB10 are refaced FZR units....thus spares available...YB11 clocks are Bimotas own....so check they work fully as harder to find replacements......The YB10's, single or biposto they made far fewer of compared to the YB11's run of 600...The blue and silver 25th anniversary YB11's were made in a batch of only 50...each with a numbered plaque on the top yoke.....YB11's normally have a Ohlins with remote on the rear...but sometimes its a paioli unit with a white spring as opposed to yellow for ohlins...

Yb11's arent as "rare" and usually command a lower price than the older less common YB10's...but its all down to condition mileage etc etc etc and what the owner wants to sell them for....
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB10 is a monoposto.
YB11 is a biposto with no second seat cowling.

The YB11 has about 6k miles, YB10 is just over 10k

Can't tell the cold of the spring on the YB11.

The price difference between the two bikes is about $1800. YB11 being cheaper of the two hence leaning towards that model.

I haven't ridden either one as they are both pretty far from me. I would be using the bike on the weekends but regularly. So rideability I.e. reliability is key. So the fork seals on the yb11 got me concerned. How often do they go out?

YB11 engine side case cover says YAMAHA. I know it's a Yamaha engine but I always thought three would be no mention of the engine source at least on the bike itself. Is that standard?

The seating position you describe is similar to what I experienced on SB6R.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota dont "hide" the manufacturer of the engines they use...evidently the YB10/11 gives you the clue...the Y being Yamaha, the B being Bimota....hence SB = Suzuki/Bimota......Bimota sometimes play with the fueling systems and fit different ECU's but generally the whole engine of the donor bike goes in...engine cases and all....and normally the switchgear on the bars, and the clocks...although they may change the faces to say Bimota...and all ellectrics normally comes from the donor bike also....I would imagine both of those bikes were "fine" with the mileages that are on them as the FZR 1000 engines are pretty reliable...it all comes down to whether they';ve been ridden, used and hence maintained....Check things like how old are the tyres...all tyres have a month and year stamp date on the left hand side sidewalls.....then check suspension for leaks, especially on the Yb11 forks...

Sounds a small price difference between the bikes....YB11's are usually a couple of 1,000 GBP below YB10's....the older stuff from Bimota generally fetches a higher price...and the YB11 was never so greatly favoured...
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: YB11/10 Reply with quote

The YB11 fork seal issue would be tedious if the seals were readily available. They're not, so I would budget for a change of front end, or save some money and get the, arguably more desirable, 10.

Having said that, the design of the fairing on the 11 allows the motor to breathe better and hence it is marginally more powerful, as you can put more juice through the carbs.

Aesthetics and collectability versus a motor that is being made the most of. Depends what your priorities are.

The important thing is to buy one or the other of them and enjoy it for what it is - something designed and built with passion Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were making the choice, I'd probably go with the yb10 depending on condition of course. Purely because of the rarity and the fact that the yb10 is single seat (my preference).
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:

YB11 engine side case cover says YAMAHA. I know it's a Yamaha engine but I always thought three would be no mention of the engine source at least on the bike itself. Is that standard?

The db4 actually has a decal on the tail section that says 'Powered by Ducati' Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the YB11's have "EXUP" on them also....proud of the heritage of the engine contained therein.....or just to dissuade the usual questions being asked by those unknown to the brand....
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB11 appears to be in a better shape. The cars were redone few years ago, but now it's neither here nor there if the bike wasn't run regularly. The fork seals are becoming a major concern for me now. Either way I'll go I'll have the bike inspected by a Yamaha pro.

My concern with YAMAHA on the casings was if the engine or parts werent swapped. Neither bikes are owned by original owners.

YB11 seller is a bit more flexible on the price while YB10 is sticking to his guns so the price divide may even be greater. I put an offer on the YB11 taking into account the seal issue.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All down to personal choice on the style of the 2 bikes, price and whether you need a twin seat bike or not....The YB11's are all twin seats..ask the seller if he has both the removable fibreglass painted single seat converter...and the pillion seat pad also......the bike originally came with both....but one or the other always seems to go astray....plenty of the pillion pads around (i know someone with a spare)...but the rear single seat converters with bump stop are a lot harder to come by...bike looks a lot neater with it on also...

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tirefriar, fork seals for the YB11 are readily available from the UK importers now. http://www.bimota.uk.com/ Wink
bimotabob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB10 shares frame, engine and swingarm to other YB series including my furano. The YB11 is a different bike it shares no parts at all.

Perhaps later development helped the YB11 but I dont know about that not having owned or ridden any.
The frame was supposed to be better after they modified it from the earlier bikes.
The Thunderace engine in the YB11 is more desirable and since it uses the electronics off the Thunderace it will go better.
I have done the swap myself in the Furano and can vouch for that.

The YB11 uses a some sort of plastic in the fairings where as the earlier bikes are fibreglass i believe.

Either bike should be good, not sure about weight wise. I have found Bimota lied about the weights so unless you weigh them yourself you just wouldnt know but should be similar.

I would guess no less than 190kg dry and probably no more than 200kg.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pud, thanks for the heads up on the seals.

I'll be getting a written inspection report along with detailed pics tomorrow.

Any thoughts on what a decent YB10 and YB11 with low miles should cost? These are not huge sellers in the US but they do have a following...
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original fork seals may have been an issue, but there are a few sources for them. however they are generally silly money a set. As a previous thread on here 51mm seals are replaceable with 2'' ones. I did this on my yb11, and no issues yet.

I have not ridden a SB6R but have a SB6. I can tell you the yb11 position is nothing like an SB6, YB takes some getting used to.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

I have not ridden a SB6R but have a SB6. I can tell you the yb11 position is nothing like an SB6, YB takes some getting used to.

I have 30" inseam nd was pretty splayed out on the SB6R. I was ok with the seating position. Foot controls felt positioned right. I didn't mind riding close to the tank. Is the YB11 better or worse? Tell me more please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: