Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 or YB11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the inspection results are in. Mechanically the bike did very well with exception of dirty oil, brake fluid, non-op brake light and dry rot on the tires. The seller did advise me (but not after posing direct questions about the bike ever being down) that it was tipped over in service causing scrape on the mirror and the broken tip off the clutch lever. However, the real shocker was the "professional repairs" of the lower fairings - mind you the seller claimed the bike to be "as new". There were six 1/2 inch bolts holding the sections of the lower sections. The seller's response - "they are very hard to see, no one will notice them". Wow, maybe he was hoping I wouldnt notice them either. One of the "tiny stress" cracks was a crack in the fairing about 3/4 " long. All I can say is that the Pre Purchase inspection paid for itself in spades.

I would lie to post some pics but not sure of the easy way to do it.

[/url]
Hursty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload the photos to photo bucket and then cut and paste the image code into your post.
Original Bimota's are the go any modifications or repairs will turn off any prospective buyers in the future Wink
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hursty thanks for the heads up.

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/georgeg20/library/1998%20Bimota%20YB11%20Florida?sort=3&page=1

And here's the original ad:

http://m.cycletrader.com/listing/1997-Bimota-Yb-11-114335321
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
vort28 wrote:

I have not ridden a SB6R but have a SB6. I can tell you the yb11 position is nothing like an SB6, YB takes some getting used to.

I have 30" inseam nd was pretty splayed out on the SB6R. I was ok with the seating position. Foot controls felt positioned right. I didn't mind riding close to the tank. Is the YB11 better or worse? Tell me more please.

I know YB11 is off the cards now but for future ref the seat is slighttly narrower than the SB6/R but the riding position means you have to get very up close and personal with the tank, almost like the tank has a cut out for your nads you are that close to it . It is a very strange position indeed. YB11 handles and goes ok , but for me a 6/6R would be a better buy.

Sounds like you have had a close escape. Don't give up just mark it down to experience and hopefully a better Bimota will be along soon.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yb11 certainly looks a bit rough in the pics. The plastic fairings on these bikes do seem rather brittle and prone to cracking. The fairing on my db4 has cracks around quite a few of the mounting screw holes as well and the belly pan was badly cracked. I replaced the belly pan with a carbon fibre unit.

The owner of the yb11 could have at least tried to do a neater repair 😳
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

And be upfront about it!

Yes, the education is fantastic - The more I learn about the Bimotas the more I realize I want to own one. Truly one of best engineered bikes. And thank you all for the incredible support. This forum is another fringe benefit of owning a Bimota. Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
brian wrote:

And be upfront about it!

Yes, the education is fantastic - The more I learn about the Bimotas the more I realize I want to own one. Truly one of best engineered bikes. And thank you all for the incredible support. This forum is another fringe benefit of owning a Bimota. Very Happy

Every time i take the bodywork off the sb6, I find myself just staring at the beautifully machined billet aluminium. I've been a motorcycle enthusiast for 30 years but never realised a motorcycle could be so awe inspiring until I owned a Bimota 👍
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now received Sarti's Bimota 25 years of excellence. Diving into the YB section tonight. Awe inspiring indeed.
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
Well, the inspection results are in.

-------------snipppppp__________]]

The seller did advise me (but not after posing direct questions about the bike ever being down) that it was tipped over in service causing scrape on the mirror and the broken tip off the clutch lever.

------------soppy-----------
[/url]

Tipped over, huh....notice how the scratches go every which way? That be from sliding along on the ground.........
1965 Triumph T100SC
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike C, I agree. This whole experience has been a roller coaster. The cosmetics killed the deal although the inspector gave it straight A's in the mechanical department. Had it been a car ride away, I would have had the opportunity to take a better look but as such I had to rely on the pics, which are not very pretty.... Shocked
JohnnyCecotto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Re Bimota YB11 Reply with quote

I bought a new YB11 in 2002 and have to say the bike is really enjoyable to ride and always puts a smile on my face!
The handling is great and the noise from the EXUP motor as it revs is addictive. The bike feels light, is really easy to ride and the handling very predictable.
For me, the red/white colour combination is the best looking!

I really recommend!!

Good luck to you!
brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
Spike C, I agree. This whole experience has been a roller coaster. The cosmetics killed the deal although the inspector gave it straight A's in the mechanical department. Had it been a car ride away, I would have had the opportunity to take a better look but as such I had to rely on the pics, which are not very pretty.... Shocked

I bought my sb6 sight unseen, 3000 klm's away and for quite a lot of money. Looking back, I probably wasn't very smart but was very lucky on this occasion. I relied on photos and the 'word' of the dealer who was selling it on consignment for a customer. Sometimes your lucky I guess
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm being too critical here, but if the ad said "excellent mechanical condition with cosmetic issues" rather than " in as new condition" I would have had different expectations for the bike. Besides the undisclosed fairing damageS the seller had to be prodded about the bike being down - and even there the explanation was not very forthcoming that it tipped over in service. I bought several vehicles, cars and bikes, sight unseen. And just like you Brian, I get lucky in getting away without a pre inspection. But I try to avoid pushing my luck as much as possible. I would be mighty disappointed with this purchase if I would have ended up spending the money on the bike, the maintenance and shipping it across US (literally - I'm in California and the bike was in Florida).

I have another bike that I'm trying to sell. Once that happens, I'll be back on the Bimota trail in full force. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything that pops up on the radar.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Bimota YB11 Reply with quote

JohnnyCecotto wrote:
I bought a new YB11 in 2002 and have to say the bike is really enjoyable to ride and always puts a smile on my face!
The handling is great and the noise from the EXUP motor as it revs is addictive. The bike feels light, is really easy to ride and the handling very predictable.
For me, the red/white colour combination is the best looking!

I really recommend!!

Good luck to you!

As of now there may still be the YB10 available that was originally offered to me prior to the YB11 I was discussing here. I decided to try and sell one of my bikes first prior to going back to the seller but just may change that strategy.

The U.S. market is rather very stingy on the Bimota offerings. It's a top dollar deal either way - whether you are looking a pristine bike or a non runner. I am looking to pay a fair price and by that I mean I will stretch for a clean bike rather than pay less for something that has issues. In the long run, a clean well maintained bike is a better deal.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: The verdict is in: YB10 Reply with quote

my quest to own a Bimota has finally reached fruition: the Dieci has finally arrived at my home today. Its not a cream puff but an excellent daily rider. Serviced prior to its arrival. It started right up and purred... Excellent for my short inseam - almost fits like a glove. Will be handling registration in the next few weeks. Can't wait to go to the canyons...

I want to thank those here that reached out and offered valuable guidance and mentoring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: