Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Oil temperature gauge DB5R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince186

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Oil temperature gauge DB5R Reply with quote

I found that I needed an oil temperature gauge on the DB5R. Only because I just want to know what the oil temp is.
At the pictures you can see how I did it.

I made a carbon bracket.

The location where I have placed the sensor.

Works perfectly..

JRH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat job, looks excellent!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it tell the time Vince also? As your clock says it was 12 mins past midnight?

Looks very neat though I have to say....is the chrome toggle switch below so that its not permanently "on" wired to a live somewhere?

Does the kit come with the thermistor brass resistor thats plugged into the gauze oil filter sump?

And lastly...like thats not enough questions already...does it do anything else??
Vince186

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Does it tell the time Vince also? As your clock says it was 12 mins past midnight?

Looks very neat though I have to say....is the chrome toggle switch below so that its not permanently "on" wired to a live somewhere?

Does the kit come with the thermistor brass resistor thats plugged into the gauze oil filter sump?

And lastly...like thats not enough questions already...does it do anything else??

Hi Steve, You have eye for details. Laughing

The time was a bit off, I had disconnected the battery for the winter.

The toggle switch is for the headlight. That way I can switch the light off when I start the bike. Normally when I push the starter button the headlight is immediately on, and because it isn’t a bike that will start easy so I think all the power from the battery should go to the starter.

Since I have the switch and a new lithium battery I don’t have any starting problems.

The kit is with the brass thermistor. Only the plug I adapted so that the thermistor is threaded into the plug.

Answer to Your last question, No …… But …. It’s possible to have a second thermistor so you can switch between them.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Vince.....are you getting to use the DB5R much then.....? Is there a favourite developing between the 2 Bims?

The later Db5 and Db6 models all use Koso clocks that has an Oil temperature gauge...albeit in bars rather than actual degrees.....Also when the key is switched on the small sidelight bulb on the front is the only one that comes on now initially prior to starting, causing less of a draw...only when the engine is running does the main headlight and rear tail light bulb come on...so evidently Bimota thought it was a problem and sorted it....nice of them.. Cool
CNC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Vince! Have you done some tests already? I'm interested about the top temperatures... Which oil do you use?
spidermaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vince, I can't from work see your picture, so I don't know if you did the same solution, but I bought this from luis.de
You can see the temperature during ride

Vince186

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spidermaan wrote:
Hi Vince, I can't from work see your picture, so I don't know if you did the same solution, but I bought this from luis.de
You can see the temperature during ride

Hi Spidermaan, It’s not the same solution but yours it’s definitely easier to install. Wink
Vince186

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNC wrote:
Great job Vince! Have you done some tests already? I'm interested about the top temperatures... Which oil do you use?

Thanks.

I have taken her for a few short rides. The temperature of the oil was at max 95 ͦC (city traffic), only the ambient temperature was not very high (max 17 ͦC from memory).
I'll keep you updated (If you remind me).

I use 10W40 semi synthetic .
Vince186

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Cheers Vince.....are you getting to use the DB5R much then.....? Is there a favourite developing between the 2 Bims?

The later Db5 and Db6 models all use Koso clocks that has an Oil temperature gauge...albeit in bars rather than actual degrees.....Also when the key is switched on the small sidelight bulb on the front is the only one that comes on now initially prior to starting, causing less of a draw...only when the engine is running does the main headlight and rear tail light bulb come on...so evidently Bimota thought it was a problem and sorted it....nice of them.. Cool

Not enough, but that is for all my motorbikes ….. not enough time. Sad

I do not really have a favourite. Depends on where I'm going to ride and with who.
If I’m going to ride more geographic flat roads an high speed I prefer the SB6.
If I’m going to ride in the Eifel (Germany) hills an cornering I definitely prefer the DB5R.

I am privileged that I can choose… Very Happy
CNC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince186 wrote:

I have taken her for a few short rides. The temperature of the oil was at max 95 ͦC (city traffic), only the ambient temperature was not very high (max 17 ͦC from memory).
I'll keep you updated (If you remind me).

I use 10W40 semi synthetic .

Vince thanks for info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: