Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

My DB1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: My DB1 Reply with quote

Since sitting on 2bims DB1 at the 2014 Manchester show I knew I had to have one and with some advice and pointers from 2bims I started the search. After a few disappointments and then e-mail exchanges over some months with a vendor in Canada, I flew over to Toronto in November last year to finalise a deal. It is not pristine with usual paint chips and patina etc. from a machine almost 30 years old, but it sounds great although in need of a thorough deep clean! The DB1 arrived in January.

brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Paul. I envy you (and every other db1 owner on the planet).
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it arrived it has been wedged in the garage till the weather improved. Unfortunately my garage is so full of stuff it has not been possible to work on it, although I have now started to clear some space for a hydraulic lift table (I also have a bevel NCR replica to build) so I can work comfortably on the bikes. The table is needed as I have been suffering from sciatica since the new year and an ageing back is severely restricting my flexibility.
Anyway some more photos:

PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some issues, which I knew about when I purchased it. The exhausts ends have been modified but the vendor claimed he didn't know why. I thought possible accident damage to the end as there is some scuffing on the end of the left footrest, but I cannot see any repairs to the fairings or any other evidence, maybe someone just wanted it louder than standard! Header pipes will need cleaning up and I will wrap them to protect the belly pan.
Some of the Bimota and Desmo decals are faded (new ones ordered).
The footrest hanger plates, particularly the left one has had a groove worn it it by the edge of the bodywork. Anyone else had this issue?
The indicators are non-standard, unfortunatly one has a cracked orange lens.
Will give it new cambelts and fluids before firing her up again.
No idea why the oil cooler hoses do not have proper swaged fittings.
Biggest area of concern at the moment is the rear wheel which will not hold pressure, the vendor said he would attempt to seal the split rim when he fitted the new tyres but I am not sure if he tried or not.
Also concerned about the amount of side slop in the front discs (fully floating), it does seem excessive. If the worst comes to the worst I hope the are a standard Brembo item.

PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brian
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo paul...good to eventually see your bike...rather than a small piccie on the back of your camera.........all looks well from what I first recall....even reckon that zorst should clean up with a light bead/powder blasting and then ceramic coating back in black.......

Discs at front are certainly Brembo....but not ones they make anymore...not to worry though...as they are standard fitment to most TT1/T2 race bikes...exact size, gold centre, llarge offset etc...and several companies now remanufacture them to the same size, spec and colour etc....Have contacts if you should need them...also previously posted up on here

The full floating cast iron discs should have play side to side across the spindle so to speak...but should be tight when jossled around the centre radially if you get my drift......yup they are noisey...= character...and rattle when just turning the bars, pushing the bike...they all do that...but they do work.......and should clean up after a bit of use.....
CNC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for purchase! Looks great... Jealous!!!
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims. I think it may be new discs, the sideways play I think is excessive, plus there is some movement fore and aft. Next time I see someones' bike with the same set-up (DTS who rebuilt my bevel engine has TT1/TT2/F1 bikes) I will compare. Probably a waste of time changing bobbins as I think the wear would be in alloy rotors, that being the softest metal.

Thanks CNC
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice project! Rideable while being brought up to snuf, can't ask for much more than that!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulDB2 wrote:
Thanks 2bims. I think it may be new discs, the sideways play I think is excessive, plus there is some movement fore and aft. Next time I see someones' bike with the same set-up (DTS who rebuilt my bevel engine has TT1/TT2/F1 bikes) I will compare. Probably a waste of time changing bobbins as I think the wear would be in alloy rotors, that being the softest metal.

I'd probably give them a try first to see if they have too much movement when riding......I agree though that changing bobbins....adding extra crimp washers etc is not the way to go....when they rattle too much one way its normally the carrier thats worn...

Theres this company for the discs with all the measurements you need....and lots of other pretty pictures....pretty sure the price is for a pair as they also generously include 12 disc bolts....there are other Italian and french companies also that I think this company buys them from....

http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catalogue/Discs.html
ducatidave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the DB1 club! My discs had what I considered excessive float when I acquired my DB1 back in 2005 with 15K on the clock. I've added another 15K and the rattle and float have not increased. The clatter from the discs sounds awful when wheeling the bike around, especially when going backwards but I have no issues with the braking performance.
DB1S, '74 Ducati 750S, '83 Pantah 600, '03 ST2, '84 R100RS, '83 R65LS, 1914 Triumph 500, '69 Trident, '49 Panther 600, '53 Panther 600, '58 Triumph racing s/car, Honda 600 F2 s/car, '57 Triumph 6T s/car, '12 Suzuki 1250 s/car, Yam SR250
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board. I had the same issue with the body work rubbing on the foot peg hanger, I decided to polish them both up and feathered the groove out of the damaged one the process. I started with a DB1 very much like yours - it needed a clean and a few years later it is finally coming back together.

What the other chaps say about the disc play is correct, side to side is OK, rotational play around the axle axis is not. I believe there are Brembo bobbins for BMW of the right type but oversize that can fix the problem if you can't source OEM disc carriers and don't want to go to aftermarket items.

Cheers
Nigel
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments. I shall most likely use it with the brakes as they are first, but I am pleased to know there are options. Nigel, I pray my 'deep' clean doesn't turn into a major rebuild but I know from previous experience how easily it can happen!
Slashaguc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Bimota DB2. Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
I know that bike and its history particularly well. It has been raced & track day'd for most of its life at Mosport International Raceway just outside Toronto along with Gratten Raceway, Ohio, and possibly Mont Tremblant in Quebec.
The motor has Montjuich cams if memory serves me right along with other performance mods, unless the previous owner (A.C.) removed them before sale. I believe that the carbs have also been swapped out for larger Dellorto's. The motor has been stripped down over the years too.
The original owner, an English gentleman, crashed it hard in turn 8 at Mosport many years ago. Most of the bodywork has been either replaced or repaired and the paintwork is not the original from the factory.
The bike goes pretty well, I rode with it on the road in the autumn of 2013. Again, if memory serves, the rear shock is near its sell by date too.
In closing, all the best with the bike. They are a joy to own but very limited in power in stock trim. I also had a DB1 which I was a little disappointed with on the road. I sold it some years ago and bought a DB2 which I have modified a little. The DB2 is (IMO) a far better road bike that a DB1 but of course that's down to individual taste. However, enjoy your DB1.
My best to you,
DOCC #77
Bimota SB2, SB3, SB4-S, SB8RS, DB2, BB1, YB7-400, YB7 Formula TT,YB8e, Moriwaki Moto Martin Kawasaki, Harris F1 Kawasaki, Yosh Seeley Honda 750, Kawasaki KZ1000 Superbike, Suzuki RGV250 VJ22, RGV500, Yosh GS750 Superbike, Aprilia RS640-R, RS125 Rossi
bimotanige

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more info here may help
www.nydesmo.com/Bimota_DB1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: