Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB4 & Oil Level Sensor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: YB4 & Oil Level Sensor Reply with quote

Does anybody know how these things actually work? The light for the sensor in my mates used to come on when the ignition switch was turned on & then go out as soon as the motor started. All this stopped a few days ago so we fitted a new sensor & now it is on all the time. It is a very simple electrical circuit but I'm stuffed if I know what is happening & yes it is full of oil
fish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I would think its a oil pressure sender.Take the sender out and put a test gauge in to see what pressure you have or it has a pressure test port on the motor cheers
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha use a level sensor not a pressure switch. It could be a duff sensor or a broken wire.
Weed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes fish, it is a oil level sensor. It has a float in it.
fish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks weed didn't know that cheers
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
bimotabob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the sensor sits on one side of the oil pan so when the oils low it starts flashing a bit - right hand corners i think!

I run the high oil level Yamaha later used for the road bikes after finding what worked best during their racing experience.
Means the light never comes on during the time in between oil changes like it used too.
who

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, the way you check oil level on these bikes is to have it sitting level, as you would sit on it, front and rear stands work okay as long as the stand height ( wheels off ground) is equal.

You need to warm the bike up to 70-80 degrees, then switch off and wait 5 minutes prior to observing the oil level.

Then I would set to upper level for normal use. This is a screen shot from the YEC OW01 kit manual. It applies to most of the 5 valve series.

Whatever the case it is the only way to check oil level. The OEM manuals don't even go into it.

In relation to the YEC manual instructions, remember the OW01 ran 2 ring pistons, so oil consumption was a given. However the way to check your oil levels is sound. Cheers, Ralph.

bimotabob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the info i recall reading once.

The Thunderace clutch cover has the oil sight glass in it unlike the earlier FZR1000 which had it in the crankcase.
Having both sight glasses installed on my bike i can vouch the later Thunderace level is higher up therefore an increased volume is stipulated in the later engines.
Would have to read the manuals but i know when i fill up the crankcase that as the oil goes over the upper level in the lower crankcase sight glass it then starts to show in the clutch cover sight glass so its a few hundred milliliters or so extra oil.
The Thunderace also has a larger oil cooler heat exchanger so that will account for some extra volume in the manual most likely.
Good to see racing experience relate to real road use!
who

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimotabob wrote:
Having both sight glasses installed on my bike i can vouch the later Thunderace level is higher up therefore an increased volume is stipulated in the later engines.

That's interesting Bob, and good science!

The OW01 only had the crankcase sight glass, the 89 exup was the same, like the earlier genesis engines (YB4 ). Later engines Thunderace and YZF750, had as you say had the sight glass in the clutch cover. I'll check the YZF750 Kit manual and see what it says about oil level in relation to the changed position of the sight glass. Cheers,
Ralph
who

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a different approach with the YZF750. So as you have observed Bob the sight glasses on the clutch cover read differently. YEC kit manual for the YZF750SP say this:

bimotabob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bugger is the Bimota fairing has a cutout for the old crankcase sight glass and now with the complete Thunderace motor installed and not just the clutch cover it is blanked off and I cant see the new one.

Thinking of putting one back in old position if possible so at least have some way of seeing level - good idea?
Never changed one but i think its a spare part usually.
who

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the part number of the OW01 sight glass. quite common to other models, boat.net is a geat cross refrence source. And the cheapest part supplier in the world. Cheers,

Sight glass part number:
2H7-15361-00

Boat net cross reference tool:

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-2H7-15361-00-00.html
bimotabob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for that info, appreciate it.

Holy whackamolies batman that parts covers Yamaha sold in every universe!
40 years of crankcase sight level solutions, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Just ordered, it was easy and freight charge is great too.
Brought a new exhaust gasket, the one between muffler and headers, they wanted $80NZD here in NZ and i got that plus the sight glass including frieght for $80NZD. Even though our exchange rate against the US is miserable the price is right as they say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: