Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 Need technical assitance help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcolion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: YB11 Need technical assitance help Reply with quote

I would appreciate if anyone can share the following info

1) Front Brake rotors - What other bikes have same rotors? I assume Ducati and Aprilia but wanted to know exactly

2) Front wheel bearings - does anyone know bearing size

3) Rear Wheel Bearing - see question 2

4) Rear Sprocket - What other bikes use same sprocket?

5) What brake pads do you use - Brands/Models?
Any help will be appreciated
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Questions one.....theres not that many Ducatis that have used the same rotors/discs...as they are full floaters with a high iron content...as opposed to stainless steel....you have to look for Ducatis up to around 2000 year...but the "specials" like Ducati 748SPS, 888SP4, 851SP3

Use this website to search for archive pictures...evidently youre looking for the Triangular and circular cut-outs on the brake rotor

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_yb_en.html

Bearings should have the number stamped on the outside faces...but cant help you more than that....

Brake pads....if it aint broke dont fix it...I always replace with Brembo branded pads.....the calipers and discs are brembo....so the pads should be....Some folk go for the red backing coloured brembo pads as an upgrade for more bite

If you are changing out the wheel bearings....then you may as well change out the 2 bearings in the rear sprocket cush drive at the same time...this manual for spare parts helps

http://www.bimota-parts.de/images/PDF/yb11.pdf
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: YB11 Need technical assitance help Reply with quote

Falcolion wrote:

1) Front Brake rotors - What other bikes have same rotors? I assume Ducati and Aprilia but wanted to know exactly

They are the 916/748 and onwards family of bikes , 10mm ofset if I remember right. As 2bim's says, just a matter of matching up the carrier design of the cast iron rotors.

Rear sprockets are one off's. Chain/sprocket places generally can get these made up.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprocket should have a number stamped on it go to someone like HPS and give them that, they should be able to find the sprocket.
If your doing chain and sprockets it might be worth while changing it to 520, the chains are lighter an just as strong. You'll need to know the length of the chain, count all the rivets (I put small ziptie on to start and then every 20-25)
Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not care for the original look of Brembo carriers. All I need to know, if anyone can share the info, is what other motorcycles had same exact front and rear disc brakes.

For example would discs from Ducati 748 fit? What other bikes had same offset and size as Bimota

I already know a full and I think pretty complete list of compatible brake pads. Once I get the info on rotors I would then post everything under one thread.
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little digging around and looking at my wheels (Antera) they look identical to the ones on Bimota SB6R.

Well Bimota SB6R uses Brembo (Gold Series) - 78B40870 - Floating rotos.

Specs on these rotors are as follows:
Diameter - 320
Diameter center - 64
Hole spacing - 80
Thickness - 5 mm
Holes - 6

I don't have my wheels next to me now but will definitely check it tomorrow. Once I confirm I will let everyone know.

In meantime this is what I got about fitment of Brembo 78B40870
Bimota
BIM BB 1 SUPERMONO , BJ 1995 - 1996
BIM BB 1 SUPERMONO Biposto , BJ 1996 - 1997
BIM DB 2 , BJ 1993 - 1995
BIM DB 3 Mantra , BJ 1995 - 1998
Bim DB4 , BJ 1998 - 1999
Bim DB5 , BJ 2005 -
Bim DB6 Delirio , BJ 2006 -
BIM SB 6 , BJ 1994 - 1996
BIM SB 6 R , BJ 1997 - 1998
BIM SB 8 R , BJ 1998 -
Bim V-DUE , BJ 1997 - 2000
BIM YB 7/J , BJ 1988 - 1989
BIM YB 10 BIPOSTO , BJ 1992 - 1993

2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcolion wrote:
I really do not care for the original look of Brembo carriers. All I need to know, if anyone can share the info, is what other motorcycles had same exact front and rear disc brakes.

For example would discs from Ducati 748 fit? What other bikes had same offset and size as Bimota

I already know a full and I think pretty complete list of compatible brake pads. Once I get the info on rotors I would then post everything under one thread.

You can pretty much count on any Ducati and Aprillia with 320mm diameter discs and a shallow offset...10mm I think...if you dont care about pattern of the brake rotor then any Ducati 600/750/900ss or ssie...any Ducati 748, 916, 996, 998 would do.....Rear Brake Disc....made by Brembo...but a Bimota specific I'm afraid
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcolion wrote:
I did a little digging around and looking at my wheels (Antera) they look identical to the ones on Bimota SB6R.

Well Bimota SB6R uses Brembo (Gold Series) - 78B40870 - Floating rotos.

Specs on these rotors are as follows:
Diameter - 320
Diameter center - 64
Hole spacing - 80
Thickness - 5 mm
Holes - 6

I don't have my wheels next to me now but will definitely check it tomorrow. Once I confirm I will let everyone know.

In meantime this is what I got about fitment of Brembo 78B40870
Bimota
BIM BB 1 SUPERMONO , BJ 1995 - 1996
BIM BB 1 SUPERMONO Biposto , BJ 1996 - 1997
BIM DB 2 , BJ 1993 - 1995
BIM DB 3 Mantra , BJ 1995 - 1998
Bim DB4 , BJ 1998 - 1999
Bim DB5 , BJ 2005 -
Bim DB6 Delirio , BJ 2006 -
BIM SB 6 , BJ 1994 - 1996
BIM SB 6 R , BJ 1997 - 1998
BIM SB 8 R , BJ 1998 -
Bim V-DUE , BJ 1997 - 2000
BIM YB 7/J , BJ 1988 - 1989
BIM YB 10 BIPOSTO , BJ 1992 - 1993

That list is "kinda ok"....as long as its for antera wheeled bikes only....a lot of traders on ebay....and well known brake disc suppliers (including brembo)...often get it wrong though...thinking that the same discs fit the entire list of bikes in your list.......Yup...if the wheels are Antera....but Nope...if they are oscom Bimota branded wheels...i.e. Early DB2, Early SB6, YB7, YB10...and the likes of Vdue have SS discs...as do DB5 and DB6...instead of cast iron full floaters....BB1, DB3, Db4, DB5, DB6, SB8R and Vdue also have fixed rotors and not full floaters.....I know you say you dont care about the rotor pattern/look...but its that that differentiates between the offset, and whether its cast iron and a full floater.....find the right rotor and you have the right disc, with offset, spacing, hole centres etc all correct...evidently other manufacturers are available.........
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Brake Rotors

DB1 - Large offset, 280mm thick carrier, brembo, cast iron full floaters, no longer made by Brembo but identical discs now being remade...as used on Ducati TT1, F1 - So...pretty rare in themselves - rear is brembo 260mm cast iron, same as used on the FRONT of same period Ducatis, 600Sl Pantah etc

DB2 (Early Oscom Wheels) - 320mm Large Offset, thick carrier, Cast Iron full floaters, no longer made by Brembo but identical discs now being remade by others - As used on Early Sb6, YB4/5/6/7/8/9/10...Only used on one Ducati...the Supermono...so no use there then...

DB3 and BB1, later SB6 - Antera Wheels, Brembo ss discs,320mm slight offset, used on many Ducatis 1991-2000 with marchesini wheels, Laverdas etc, Still available

Db4 and Vdue (Antera Rims) - 320mm Also as used on Ducatis 1996-2000, slight offset, thinner carrier ss discs, still being made

YB11 - 320mm Cast iron full flloaters, slight offset, thicker carrier, also as on Sb6R...and fitted to the higher Spec Ducatis, 748sps, 916sps, 888 SP3 etc -

DB5 - Fixed thinner rotor Brembo discs, 320mm, stainless steel...also as fitted to Ducatis 2000-2010 ish (Ducatis like panigales have gone to 330mm discs)

DB6R - Fixed thinner rotor Brembo discs, 320mm, stainless steel...also as fitted to Ducatis 2000-2010 ish (Ducatis like panigales have gone to 330mm discs)

DB6 - "Braking" wavey discs 320mm, thicker than the brembos

DB7 - Fixed thinner rotor Brembo discs, 320mm, stainless steel...also as fitted to Ducatis 2000-2010 ish (Ducatis like panigales have gone to 330mm discs)

Generally..........if the discs have 12 bobbins they are Full Floater cast iron....and if only 10 bobbins they are stainless steel "semi-floaters"

Rear Disc
From Db2/DB3/DB4/BB1/Vdue/SB6/SB7/SB6R/YB11/YB9
All use the same 230mm Brembo disc.....not found this disc used on any other manufacturers bike...Caliper...yes...Cagiva Mito...but disc is different...doesnt share same types as a Ducati either - Some suppliers (bespoke Bimota) still carry this disc, but no longer available from Brembo...has high cast iron content

Thats about as Comprehensive as I can make it....Its only really the early cast iron full floaters discs and the rear discs...that are very hard to find.....but fortunately period racing means they are now being remanufactured by other companies.....evidently Bimota changed wheels on same models, different models...same with the discs...there never really will be a definitive Yes/No per model or bike...which is why you really have to measure and check the disc rotor before buying.....as Brembos OWN ordering list on their website incorrectly identifies discs that they will sell you...and you end up with one that may well fit...but you will need spacers to get the correct offset.......One unfortunate guy ordered Tesi 1D discs from Brembo codes...and got standard discs with small holes that wouldnt fit the spherical hub.....Also always replace disc bolts with same spec and type...YB11 and others like SB6 sometimes have chamfered bolt heads that fit flush in the face of the disc...this is so that the heads dont interfere with the speedo drive assembly on the left side...seen a few where the drive unit is being eaten alive by knocking exposed bolt heads....The Cast iron discs have thicker carriers that usually have a turned recess in the face for the bolt heads to sit in or finish flush with....stopping them interferring with the speedo drive assembly

Hope at least one part of this is helpful to someone............

Shocked
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously any manufacture disc's that fit a 916/748/996 etc will fit.

I put EBC disc's on my DB4

As you can see by the rust, they are high iron content of the cast Brembo's , but are not prone to cracking and warping as the Brembo cast are, and give better stopping power than the Stainless Brembo stuff.

Unfortunately as 2bims says, the rear disc seems to be Bimota specific.

Are the disc's that bad on your YB11 ?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

320mm dia and 10mm offset is also big Yamaha spec, YZF750R, FZR1000 etc would fit because it's an upgrade for Yams.
Falcolion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims

Thank you for a comprehensive write up. But from what I understand, Brembo 78B40870 and all other compatible discs will fit

vort28 wrote:
Obviously any manufacture disc's that fit a 916/748/996 etc will fit.

I put EBC disc's on my DB4

Are the disc's that bad on your YB11 ?

My discs are almost new (barely 4k miles) but have way too much lateral play. I have never seen so much play on any brake discs on my bikes or any others. But most of the bikes I have seen are newer then year 2000.

Also what's the big deal about OEM rotors being cast iron? I always thought that stainless are better. As for rotor bolts to be sunked in, it should not be a big deal to find those.

The only concern that I have now after reading all of the above replies is in regards to a number of buttons on the rotors. the speedo censor is reading from the bolts inserted into buttons opening. So, if cast iron rotors have 12 buttons and stainless only 10, what will happen to my speedo readings
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Discs Reply with quote

After-market clocks are programmable as to how many pick-ups you have. Are your clocks programmable? If not, you may want to stick with original discs, which can be re-bobbined, if there is excessive play between disc and carrier. If you go this route, try to get bobbins with the same size hole in them, so that you can use your original bolts - obviously not an issue if it's a ferrous bolt and magnetic sensor arrangement, as opposed to the other way round.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which direction do you have "play" in your front discs? Side to side across the spindle? or around the rotor radially?....Side to side motion and the "rattle" when you push the bike is fine...they all do that....to reduce heat transfer to the rotor to the spindle/bearings etc....if the bobbin are worn they can be replaced if you have movement radially around the rotor, i.e. can you grab the disc and rotate it back and forth around the rotor? If only a little then its no problem

Cast Iron v SS?

The high Iron Content discs are said to have up to 40% more friction content than the SS discs...hence more "bite"...the downside being they will rust up quickly with the slightest element of water being left on them...easily comes off after first ride though.

Evidently you have the later electronic clocks version YB11.....reading off bolt in the bobbins...yup...it will be effected if you reduce the number of bolts, giving you incorrect mileage and speedo readings...less bolts + less true mileage recorded and lower speed recorded than actual...Do you have a bolt in each bobbin or every second bobbin?

Opinion on Cast Iron v SS is divided, old skool/new skool.....I'm in the former...I feel they much more bite in dry conditions than the ss ones...and I like the rattly noise... Laughing

reason manufacturers changed? Maybe coz SS look prettier for longer? Or maybe because they cost half the amount to make compared to cast iron....??

I think if you measured up either your Guzzi, Aprillia, Santa or Benelli discs you'd find that any of those would also fit the antera wheels on a YB11...same hole spaces, disc dia and offset,,,,,code is normally stamped into the edge of the discs....
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put a picture up of the disc's as it sounds like they are Brembo cast iron, and as 2bims says, side to side is normal to deal with thermal expansion. The cast iron rotors are reserved for race use really , and fitment to only the top flight special ducati's etc.
They are far better than stainless, friction co-efficient higher, and bloody expensive. With is why I went for EBC race cast. Advantages of better stopping power but were priced at brembo ss level.

I have bikes with both and cast ones are far better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: