Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 at Phillip Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: SB6 at Phillip Island Reply with quote

I just had to brag......

I have just booked a ride day at the Island Very Happy

I am filled with both joy and trepidation, hopefully it wont end in tears.

Steve
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Phillip Island Day Reply with quote

Have a great day Mate and let us know what it's like to go where the Doctor's been.
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a blast,

It is a fantastic circit, i have had a couple of rides around in the Past, but for some reason, the Bimota makes me slightly nervous.

It is a phenominal bike, but the old brain starts imagining all the things that "Could" go wrong when you are on a 15 year old bike capable of the speeds the SB6 can do.

Cheers

Steve
oily

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Steve, I'm sure you'll be fine Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the bike bud, just make sure you look where you need to go and let the bike take you there!
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got home, so i thought i should update you all on my day.

The weather here has been horrendous over the past couple of days, record rainfall and huge storms.

I was starting to think my ride day was over before it began Crying or Very sad I drove to Phillip Island last night in the rain, and lay in bed last night listening to thunder storms and, yup...... RAIN.

I woke up this morning to the sound of raindrops, it was not looking good.

Got to the circuit and saw a very wet track and grey skies. After registration and the riders breifing, we were the first group out. Took it very slowly, rode out of pit lane, cruised around southern loop, started to wind on the power and... no power, no nothing! when i backed off the throttle to about 5%, got enough drive to get me back to the pits via Turn 4 run off road at 10kph..

I sat in the pit lane, trying to keep the bike running, i was pretty sure it was water in the elecetrics, after a good 5 or so minutes i was able to get 40-50% throttle, so i took off to finish 1 whole lap befor the session was ended!

The sun and wind worked wonders to dry the track out before our group was up again, the bike felt much better on the first lap, but still would not run cleanly at full throttle, after about 5 laps she came good and had a great day. That is if you don't include running out of track at the exit of turn 1 or running into the grass at 170 at the hayshed, at least it kept me on my toes.

I must say i have massive problems getting my feet out of the way on track days, the pegs are too high and far back. Trying to get the balls of my feet onto the pegs so they don't scape the tarmac is almost impossible, so i end up lifing my insde foot clear of the peg and track. Makes it impossible to get the knee down Sad But at least i could still do this to the rear tyre..

Here is a shot of the pit straight and a taste of the weather..

Cheers

Steve
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Steve! Rainy starts are always good on a track day so you can figure out the track lines in slow time without any pressure early on. Shame about the engine response but glad it sorted itself out in the end. Just out of interest, what tyre pressure did you have in that rear? Wear tear looks like it may have been a tad low which would alter bikes response mid corner as you drive out and push you wide, making you turn off throttle and the bike sits up and you're on the grass. Most important thing is you had a great day and did'nt panic when straight line is your option! Laughing Very jealous
oily

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it turned good in the end Steve. As for your feet getting in the way.. What size feet have you got?
Must be Hobbit feet Laughing
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running cold pressures of 31psi both front and rear. My incident at the hayshed was on my out lap so temps would have been low, especially on that side of the tyre.

I'm about 177cm tall and size 11 feet. The leathers i had borrowed also were quite thick behind the knee, i don't think this helped either.

Cheers

Steve
sapila racing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:

I must say i have massive problems getting my feet out of the way on track days, the pegs are too high and far back. Trying to get the balls of my feet onto the pegs so they don't scape the tarmac is almost impossible, so i end up lifing my insde foot clear of the peg and track. Makes it impossible to get the knee down Sad But at least i could still do this to the rear tyre..

Cheers

Steve

Steve I have exactly the same problem with my SB6 as I'm quite tall (190cm) and I take the bike to trackdays since 2 years now.
This was always my biggest problem.
In preparation for the track this year I made a custom seat for the SB6, made to measure for myself and it works! I didn't have a chance to take it to the track with this seat yet, but it makes a lot of difference.
It's taller by 3-4 cm depending where you measure, and it allows me to go further back. I can post pictures for you if you want.

Regards
Aris
sapila racing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the new seat here.
It's in Greek but look at the pictures. Wink

http://www.moto.gr/forums/showthread.php?s=6f6ca2ac5829d1c348cde5e6b4c00d51&threadid=54752&perpage=15&pagenumber=27
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thats very well done. Love that the fact the only word I could understand was " garage" ! Laughing
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aris,

Wheww, at least i'm not the only one... i was starting to worry Shocked

Great idea, is it a complete seat unit that replaces the factory one?

Cheers

Steve
oily

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancel the foot surgery Steve Laughing
sapila racing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front seat is made of an original seat plus padding and cover, the rear is made from scratch and is based on an aluminium base. It is made so that it locks in place exactly as the original.
I already had two front seats so I used one for this, but I didnt have two rears.
The trick is to have a good upholsterer that can take measures for you, while you sit on the bike.
In the link above there are before and after pictures so you can see the difference.
The slope of the seat is also greatly reduced!

so no need to chop the legs! Very Happy

Aris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: