Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Baptism of fire
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russtysplit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Baptism of fire Reply with quote

Literally ! I've got my grubby little hands on the fire damaged SB8R so this is my first Bimota after owning most other marques including Harris Magnums and the like so a project is well - just another project.
I currently have 2 Katana 1100's from the 80's - one bog standard and the other a Yoshi prepped version which is full of period parts.I won't mention the 1960 VW Karmann Ghia convertible or 1956 splitscreen camper projects.
Back to the SB8 though - paid less than the asking but the bike actually seems not too bad. It would seem that the bike was not on fire or the cause of it but just in the wrong place at the time of said fire. My guess would be ceiling fire as the rear indicators had also melted as had the airbox (strangely the foam air filter is intact). Some parts missing like fuel pump and ram air tubes which I presume are in some garage or insurance company store - shame as I could do with them.
All in all though a very nice piece of kit - previous owner spend some money on it as it also comes with power commander 3, AIM digital clocks/laptimer etc, PVM wheels, Santa Monica rearsets and carbon linkage. I know it'll always be a cat C but I'll keep it anyway - if I can't get an airbox I'll just make a carbon fibre one but I think the air tubes will be the hardest bit.
The carbon fibre just needs a T cut and polish, the carbon seat will need new paint or vinyl and even the tank has kept its shape but will obviously need new paint. Or I could get it running and ride as is - it would at least be "one of a kind"
I think in another post it said it was JT's old bike - anyone know who he is or how to contact him, would be interesting to get some history.
Anyhow glad to be a Bimota owner - never thought I'd ever own one, so now the fun begins !
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the earthing wires under the tank and around the headstock from the battery - mine almost caught fire when cranking it over trying to start it and burnt all the plastic sheathing off the earth wires, including those to the CPU. Cost a bloody fortune to get it re-wired.
russtysplit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many projects - the joys of being a man !
The wiring looks to be OK luckily - I'm an electrical engineer by trade so my main worry was the CPU and engine damage due to fire brigade water entering via throttle bodies. Engine is now out and top end stripped but no real damage - can still see hone marks on bores so mileage was probably low. It has JE 993 pistons in which I know are not TL1000 standard - did Bimota change to these? Waiting for gaskets now so all I can do is clean up and lap valves in.
You're not mates with Jay (with RSV) from Dudley are you ?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well welcome to the Forum and best of Luck....you seem not just crazy enough to own a Bimota...but wanting to resurrect one from the dead...a nobel task indeed.......

I never checked this particualr bike out...but did check BimotaClassicParts...and pretty sure they have most if not all the bodywork that you may need....also theres a Daotoys on here with a load of SB8 spare parts...advertises on here...just go to Spares for sale and look for SB8 stuff...or alternatively go on Ebay.us and search Bimota Sb8....as it may not appear under UK search if he hasnt put a postage option up for UK....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=daotoys1&hash=item3cfabde405&item=261904786437&_osacat=0&vxp=mtr&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbimota.TRS0&_nkw=bimota&_sacat=0

Best of luck and keep us all informed...

Bimota parts are pretty hard to come by....youre best making up a list and posting on here...
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Baptism of fire Reply with quote

russtysplit wrote:

I think in another post it said it was JT's old bike - anyone know who he is or how to contact him, would be interesting to get some history.
!

Presumably you have the V5 for it? Owners name and address should be on there....
russtysplit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Cat C so logbook unavailable. Have obviously applied to our lovely and unendingly helpful Swansea lot (DVLA) so will just have to wait (and wait.....). If it's stolen I'll have to just sell the parts and beat the seller about the head with either a nice piece of carbon fibre or a TL1000 crank !!
Looking forward to ownership actually as most of my previous bikes have either been specials or off the track so I'm used to "tinkering". I spoke to someone a year or so ago about Bimota's and they said that the owners manual should say "congratulations on buying a Bimota - good luck with finishing it off"! Probably a little harsh. He did say though that it was most enjoyable bike that he had ever owned.
Showed it to my brother in law (a bike mechanic) and he just called me a bas***d for finding it. He called me that name several times - but then added that even in it's current state it was still the best bike he'd seen in a long while.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo at Bimota Classic Parts has a fuel pump assembly for the SB8R in stock.
I have a used carbon nose cone if you ever need one. And a full set of unpainted resin fairing panels (but no carbon bits).
And no, I know not of Jay.
russtysplit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info and the offers guys - I'm just going through the list now to see what's needed. I'll get it running first and then start spending !
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad somebody bought this bike and doubly glad it's not being broken.
Hope the resurrection goes well Cool
ct981

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was the original owner of the bike and put most of the mods to it.
If I can help with info let me know.

CT981
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CT...did you ever get to import a DB5R from Italy or something else from when you were looking last year?
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russtysplit wrote:

my main worry was the CPU

It has JE 993 pistons in which I know are not TL1000 standard - did Bimota change to these

On the CPU and the wiring I would probably bin the lot and replace with TL cpu/injector set up. Will be far easier to find

The pistons are not Bimota's, they have been installed seperately .

I would also check the the carbon part of the frame, got to be a concern due to heat and structural integrity .
russtysplit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat damage was to some of the plastic parts - the wiring though (even the insulation ) looks to be unscathed. I presume that different plastics melt at different temperatures.The carbon fibre seat which looks to have been nearest the fire just needs T cut or worse case a rub down and clearcut - must be tough stuff !! I'll rebuild engine first and see if it runs, if not I'll be forced to look at TL setup - I know throttle bodies are different sizes but are injectors interchangeable?
That's the good thing about forums like this - there's so many people with info that you'd have a job to get from anywhere except owners. Much appreciated
russtysplit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a pm CT - always good to get some history.
Cheers-Russ
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think somebody on here said the injectors were Ducati 1098 (?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: