Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Japanese Tesi in the USA - build thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedmade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Japanese Tesi in the USA - build thread Reply with quote

Finally got it home. Slightly crusty but complete. Everything is there for me to build my dream bike.

I continue to post build pics in this thread as I go along

vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my !!! Airfix kits for grown ups Laughing
GAME ON !!!!

Oh congratulations and good luck .
Macx2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine are you thinking of using?
Ian
trev45

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDUE engine ?

Trev
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, another build thread. Looking forward to the updates
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Speedmade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on using a 1100 Hypermotard motor complete with fuel injection
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see it has landed at last Reed !

will send you the shock linkage info you asked for when I get back home in a couple of days.

can you pm me a picture of the headstock VIN tag please?

thanks

Garry.
icezeit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that there is someone with a 400J on the forum.
Congratulations to that find (and also for the Ohlins shocks).
Maybe you already knew it but you will also have to replace the rear linkage lever to use the Ohlins.

I planned to do the same motor conversion. So how are you planning solve the issue with the lack of space for the lying cylinder? I think there would be a collision between head and swingarm with that large motor. And how about the rear swingarm bearing? Tesi has the bearing on the motor side, Hyper should have it in the swingarm.

One more question belonging the VIN tag: Does your 400J have a second VIN tag on the right omega frame next to the footpeg mount like the large Tesi have?

I'm looking forward to that thread. Regards, Jens
Speedmade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icezeit wrote:

Maybe you already knew it but you will also have to replace the rear linkage lever to use the Ohlins.

So how are you planning solve the issue with the lack of space for the lying cylinder? I think there would be a collision between head and swingarm with that large motor. And how about the rear swingarm bearing? Tesi has the bearing on the motor side, Hyper should have it in the swingarm.

One more question belonging the VIN tag: Does your 400J have a second VIN tag on the right omega frame next to the footpeg mount like the large Tesi have?

Jens,

I knew that I need to upgrade the suspension link on the front swingarm. Are you saying that the rear swingarm link is different as well?

The DS motor is smaller in physical size than the 851 motor, so there will be no clearance issues. The 400J has the same chassis dimensions as the 4V Tesi.
About the swingarm pivot, I am actually using Sport Classic cases with the rest of the motor coming from the 1100 HYM.

I only have one VIN tag up near the head stock. The frame plate has a matching number stamped in it.

Reed H
icezeit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rear suspension link is different for the Ohlins. Its hole for the two rods which connect it to the swing arm is slighty closer to the hole where you fix the shock. You need 501762460 for the Ohlins.

The wheelbase of the 400J is smaller then the one of the large Tesis due to the fact that the omega frame is smaller (compare Sarti who mentions it). Today I measured it and it's about 30 mm.

With the sport classic motor case you do not have the issue with the swing arm bearing but the position of the swing arm axle and the hole in the omega will not match anymore. You can hardly see it in the picture of an early 2D or vyrus here:

I think it will work anyway but you will have to remove the omega to pull the axle and the axle doesn't run in the slide bearing in the omega.

Thank you for the VIN info. My 400J omegas don't have a VIN stamp. Maybe they were spare parts.
icezeit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I managed to check if a pre-2010 Monster 696 case would fit plug'n'play to the 400J omegas. It has the right swingarm bearings and the original Tesi 400 engine was also sleeved down from a 600 Supersport engine.
Here is the result:

The positions of the 3 engine bolts are fitting correctly but the position of the swing arm axle is too low on the case side.
It's the same issue as mentioned above with 1000 ccm engine case.

Can anyone tell which is the most powerful and modern Ducati 2V engine that fits in these Tesi 400J omegas?
It has to have the same positions of engine bolts and swingarm axle as a 1991 600 Supersport.
I also measured the center distance between upper rear engine bolt and swingarm axle: It has to be 96 mm.
Maybe anyone of you Duc cracks knows it without measuring.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some question...and possibly best for a Ducati MS Forum really...lots of know-it alls on there willing to impart knowledge and advice.

Most powerful 2V Duc Engines? The gold cased magnesium casing 1078cc motor as used in early Multistradas and hypermotards pushes 95-100bhp in standard trim....but then you have positions of injectors and twin spark plugs to contend with possibly clashing with the omega plates.

Alternatively 900ss engines taken to 944cc...with Keihin FCR41 flatslides...gas flowed polished heads, and cams from Early ST2 motors takes their power to similar 90-95bhp
Speedmade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icezeit,
You are correct.
I can see that Bimota did shorten the wheelbase on the 400. But they kept the same suspension geometry, subframes, and the bodywork all fits between models.
After looking at many photos I can see how the accomplished this.

If you compare the position of the front swingarm pivot to the motor mounts and to the subframe mounts between the 851 and 400 plates, you can see that they moved everything up and back on the 400.

The 851 Tesi uses the standard Ducati swingarm pivot position, and all of the Ducati cases that have bearings in the cases are in the exact same position.

That means that the Tesi 400 cases are special for Bimota, and I expect that no standard Ducati cases will fit.

To truly verify this I am awaiting photos of the 400 engine that came from my bike. I’m betting that the swingarm pivot is special made to be higher than the standard 400SS cases.

My plan is to use a set of Hypermotard and machine the cases to accept screw in pivot/bearing holders in the correct position to match the T400 frame plates.
Speedmade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my package from Bimota Classic Parts.

All new chassis bearings, front wheel bearings, and a few other trinkets.

They also had the upgraded front and rear rocker arms for the Ohlins. Wow

Speedmade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comparison of the Ohlins and Marzocchi rocker arms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: