Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Red, White, Carbon SB6 Wanted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not like a plank, but the suspension does need to be set up then they're supple ... firm but fair Laughing

On the later models they have a lot of the brembo stuff on the top models of the 916 shape Dukes
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTG wrote:
Well, the Italians have gone quiet as soon as I mentioned service docs etc. Still leaves the one in NL, but the chap is on hols at the moment - that time of year I guess.

Italians, be it dealers or private sellers, can often go quiet for week at a time...its usually not that they are trying to hide anything...they just have a different take on life..lot more relaxed.

I'd be surprised if the bike had service docs with it...afterall it would be over 20 years old...good quality high pixel photos should tell you more than any service book would
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is even nicer, and rarer, and not a lot morer..........

http://www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/bimota-altro-modello-1999-ascoli-piceno-124560106.htm
SiBag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always lusted after the Red White and green.
I ended up with a 90s rave instead Laughing

If its got Ti#s or Wheels its gona give you trouble
PTG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the later models they have a lot of the brembo stuff on the top models of the 916 shape Dukes

Indeed - one day I'll get my hands on a 998R, the pinnacle of the 916 family. For now, I have a '97 SPS and '99 Senna III. Both have Brembos and Ohlins, though must admit I'm quite looking forward to Marzocchis; I don't think they'll be radically different, but they're a quality component I've never owned/ridden before.

Quote:
Italians, be it dealers or private sellers, can often go quiet for week at a time...its usually not that they are trying to hide anything...they just have a different take on life..lot more relaxed.

Fair point, and I hope it is the case as otherwise it's a serious contender.

Quote:
this is even nicer, and rarer, and not a lot morer..........

True, but it's also had a lot more of the planet pass under its wheels, or maybe just the same bit lots of times. Even ignoring that (it is 16 years old), I just really like the R, W, C SB6's!

Paul.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PTG"]
Quote:

I'm quite looking forward to Marzocchis; I don't think they'll be radically different, but they're a quality component I've never owned/ridden before.

Laughing Who's going to tell him ???
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must be thinking of Bimota Db1's (Fr and Rear Marzocchi) and the early YB series.....teehee Laughing

To be honest I was waiting for him or someone else to ask/mention about the front sprocket......... Smile

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:

You can !!!!

Having been a 888/916 owner many years ago , I sold my 916 for an SB6 in 1995!!!
I still have v-twins but the GSXR motor pulls like a train , you can spend all day in one gear just role on and off the throttle and it just pulls from nowhere.
Size can be an issue, seat is wide and low and VERY firm, but as a 6ft 13 stone person I have always found the SB6 quite comfy.
RWC are defo the best, although I think probably the hardest to find. The later SB6 have slightly different bits here and there ,few tweaks over the initial batch to improve them but were generally not RWC.
PTG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Woops - they're Paioli's aren't they! Oh well, still pretty good no?

Quote:
To be honest I was waiting for him or someone else to ask/mention about the front sprocket......... Smile

OK, I think I've seen mention of this here and there... what is it with the front sprocket? They're both pretty low mileage examples I'm looking at so I'm guessing it's something that shows itself with use...

Paul.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much with use more renewal.
Check the clutch works with the engine running .
If the brake lines are original they'll need changing
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll forgive you...so no worries...happier to encourage new owners...but we do like to wind people up also......Yup..Paioli RWU forks up front and usually a trouble free Ohlins with remote on the SB6's on the rear.

You have to go to the 80's series Bimotas for Marzocchi front and rears....and the noughties brought marzocchi fronts back again....Paiolis work well...if serviced and adjusted properly...but same can be said of most forks

SB6's not my forte....but the diagonal frame spars cross and cover completely the sprocket cover...thus an engine drop is required to change it...clutch slave also lives under there so has to be working...even to bleed it has to be done with engine out.......So try to ensure clutch is fully functional...and if chain and rear sprocket look like they need changing....then the front is due also.......
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you can bleed the slave with the engine in. If the bike has stood for long time the clutch pack can dry out, if you need to replace it, the front sprocket or the valve clearances you need to drop the engine. It sounds drastic but the reality is the sprocket doesn't need doing that often, the clutch and clearances hardly ever.
There are 2 small batteries under the clocks, you need the fairing off to replace them, it's a one piece fairing which is a bit of pain. Use an Abba stand and front lift to raise the front wheel, makes it easier.
The standard headlights are really bad, replace them.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...assumption that it may be used at night time....would the bike have euro headlights kicking the wrong way?

Yeh...one piece fairing...same as Db2...still have a cycleworks Coil pack I bought 3 years ago that I intend to fit one day...next time I take the fairing off....Oh and the tank and seat unit...oh and the tank....maybe I should just sell the coil pack on ebay and then it wouldnt be a problem...... Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode down to Italy for a WSB round at Imola once. 10 hours riding on a couple of days, so yeah riding at night. I actually like night time riding
PTG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have v-twins but the GSXR motor pulls like a train , you can spend all day in one gear just role on and off the throttle and it just pulls from nowhere.

Sounds great. I mostly ride v-twins for their character and drama, but also because I am not a WSB rider: I am often in the wrong gear or out of shape - v-twins let me get away with it.

I just got my 999 back from Simon at Race Engineering in Dunmow - he mentioned he'd probably PDI'd half the UK population of SB6s. He knew a lot about them which makes me feel a bit easier about picking one up. I mentioned the lights and he said they were so bad on the early ones that it probably wouldn't make much difference which way they were pointed - an indistinct blob is an indistinct blob. Wink

Also, there was a Bimota on the stand at the time - belong to anyone here? Unhelpfully I forgot my phone , so no pics, and I also didn't take note of which one it was! It was mostly white with white wheels - not Anteras but like the early ones on the SB6... Razz

Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: