Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New helmet technology - 'skull and skin'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev0006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: New helmet technology - 'skull and skin' Reply with quote

Interesting new helmet technology.

Have you heard the expression "break neck speeds?" This often overused tag has become the go-to hook line in many motorcycle crash stories on your local evening news. A new design concept called Super Skin from Industrial Design Consultancy, or IDC, looks to address the core issue.

Eighty percent of current motorcycle related deaths are a result of head trauma, and experts agree that rotational forces are the obvious culprit in most of these cases. Taking a cue from how noggins normally protect themselves, IDC claims their "Skull and Skin" design reduces the force that Yoda wouldn't want to be with you by up to 50 percent, which reduces the possibility of permanent brain injury by 67 percent. We think we can all agree that those numbers are 100 percent positive! Simply put, the Super Skin is a flexible membrane wrapped over a gel barrier that allows it to stretch up to eight times its normal length. Take the whole recipe through a vacuum casting process, and it then becomes durable and retains the look and feel of a "normal" helmet.

Before we can get our heads clad in Super Skin, we'll be holding our breath until the summer season. Check with your local Lazer Helmet dealer for access to this creepy cool concept. Oh yes, there will be a price tag put on your head. The Super Skin line is rumored to start at $235 (based on the current exchange rate) and will be available in the open-face Rider or full-face Solano designs.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I reading this right? (I've read it 4 times). Is this a soft shell helmet?
Is this for real? Shocked

P.S.
Answered my own questions.....
http://www.lazerhelmets.com/en/motorcycling/superskin/superskin-superskin.php
Shocked
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the matt rubbery type helmets then, but surely a hard trad shiney helmet is gonna be exerting about the same torsion on the head as this as they don't exactly grip the tarmac???
madasfook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rubbery type helmet and i can get it quite shiny if i polish it hard Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madasfook wrote:
I have a rubbery type helmet and i can get it quite shiny if i polish it hard Laughing

Polising your rubbery helmet and developing a hatred of yellow bikes........
No wonder you don't have much time to get on here anymore Laughing
madasfook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about that since i sold the SB8R i have been spending more time on the Ducati sites i still have my DB2 its just waiting for me to sort the brakes out only a bit of plumbing , i am also working on the guzzi a 900ss in bits and a Rd500 basket case , so i have not forgoten you its just im spred a bit thin and i just upgraded to windows7 and i will not suport my bookmarks so the only time i think to go on the site is when im at work ware my bookmarks work so now i'm all alone and can abuse the companys internet woo hoo Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: