Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

1997 DB2 EF Antera Front Wheel Swap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: 1997 DB2 EF Antera Front Wheel Swap Reply with quote

Are there any known wheel swaps for the DB2 EF front wheel? I've ordered a wheel from Dymag and it doesn't fit. Trying to figure out whether there is a known equivalent that will work.

Although the wheel uses the same rotors and rotor width spacing as the Ducati 900SS and the speedo drive thickness is the same as the 900SS, the 20mm axle and speedo drive are not the same as any Ducati wheel I'm aware of.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want/need just a new front wheel?... Presumably you have anteras on it....you can still buy either the oscom or antera wheels from bimota classic parts...
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Why do you want/need just a new front wheel?... Presumably you have anteras on it....you can still buy either the oscom or antera wheels from bimota classic parts...

The Antera's are bricks. My guess is I'll be able to shave 15 lbs. or more of unsprung rotating weight off the bike and improve handling dramatically.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...okay....so you want to change both wheels....was a little confused as you only mentioned the front wheel.....Youre right with the antera "anchors" as they are often called.........and yup...some 18lbs can be shaved if you went for full carbon fibre dymags...the comparisons and weights have been previously done for you here

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3913&highlight=wheel+weight

As you have the FE model that came with Anteras and "flat discs" rather than the much lighter oscom bimota wheels fitted to the earlier model DB2's a wheel change would save weight.....Dymag used to have the wheel specs and sizes for that bike for a direct fitment......oscom hubs though were much smaller and larger offset full floater cast iron discs were used.....Dymag still have the sizes etc but as you say...spindle sizes may be different....or sleeves used in the fork ends to accommodate....like with Ducati 900ss bikes that came with Marchesini wheels....they also upgraded the spindle dia part way through the model range....The speedo drive unit is a Ducati part that Bimota bored out to fit the larger spindle size....the end cable is the same size thread for the speedo drive cable...and BCP stock that item....at the end of the day...any wheels will fit but all or some part will need engineering to make fit, be it disc spacers, spindle spacers etc etc...all down to time, or cost that you want to spend........

My DB2 had its relatively light oscom wheels replaced with carbon 3-spoke dymags...but the previous owner took them off again as he reckoned they were too light and made the bike way too twitchy and nervous, what with it already being a light bike......The DB3 was essentially a DB4...the DB4 came with antera wheels but the DB3 with the same swingarm and forks came with readily available Ducati fitment marchesinis.......

Evidently when ordering bespoke wheels any manufacturer would need exact measurements of spindle, spacers, discs, cush drive, rear disc, centre to centre of fork legs, rear swingarm etc.....Its not possible to expect any wheel manufacturer to know all these dimensions for production runs of such low numbers as Bimota made....also given that changes were made during production of DB2, DB2sr and DB2FE.....
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymag claimed direct fit for the '97 DB2 (EF), but the front wheel they sent isn't close. Based on the dimensions it looks like an Oscam replacement with deep hat rotors. They've sent hub measurements for other wheels, but so far haven't come up with a match. The rear wheel they sent looks like it will work fine.

Thanks for the info on the wheels. I'll have to measure up a spare 888 wheel that I have and see whether the speedo drive well works and if it would work with 20mm wheel bearings. I've got a 900SS/916 front wheel and I know the speedo drive isn't a match.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymag have most of the measurements for Bimota wheels. I've had a few differnt sets and they all fit.
If you have Antera and a 20mm axle I would think they would be the same as a db4/sb6 MK2.

There is no other fit I have found that matches exactly Bimota. 916 is close I think but the spindlesize/speedo drive can not be achieved together.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noy yet an owner but looking at a DB2SR at present. Do the comments about the DB2 wheels also apply to DB2SR ie how can I spot difference between Oscam and Antera wheels (sounds like a retrograde step.)

Also carb and injection models both produced at same time? ie Final edition was only final edition carb yes?

Sorry for dumb questions. I think D2 is ultimate aircooled (although a tricked up engine in a YB5 would be interesting!). Just want to ask re wheels now as I'm sure if I do buy the itch to spend will creep back in time.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one youre looking at is a "genuine" factory DB2SR without changes or if Bimota had all the right bits to complete it...it should have Oscom Bimota branded grey wheels...or white....and full floated brembo cast iron discs with a very deep offset of say 20mm on the front...ribs on the spokes of the wheels.....Antera wheels are kind of "swirly".....3 spokes...but each spoke is split into 2...and the hubs are a lot large in diameter and width...so they would have different discs on them that would appear flat by comparison.

Last answer....No...the DB2FE was the final edition and carbie...but the first DB2's out of the factory in 1994 were red white colour scheme and always carbed...then they made carbed half fairing models and a 400cc carbed version then they made the Fuel injected DB2 and then the FE with carbs again.......
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress report. Shipped my front wheel to Dymag. Turns out the DB2 EF front wheel is the same as the Mantra front wheel. With a little luck I'll have the correct Dymag CF front wheel before the end of the year and maybe even by Christmas. I'm stoked. The front wheel alone looks like it will be ~10lbs. lighter than the OEM Antera.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope for you....and Dymag that at least the dimensions are right....as The wheels on the DB3 arent the same wheels as used on the DB2EF...they used Marchesini 3 spokes on the DB3......albeit the discs were the same, offset and 6 bolt fixing centres as ones used on the DB2EF Antera wheels....so presumably the hub width is the same.....On the plus side...although Marchesini wheels are on the DB3...it used the same forks and frame and set up as the DB4...which only came with antera wheels...so hopefully the wheel set up, spindle size, speedo drive unit are the same........All of this could be cnfirmed though if sufficient accurate dimensions of your exisiting set up could be taken.......Tis hard for wheel manufacturers to get things right...as Bimota changed suppliers so many times on wheels, disc offsets, spindle sizes etc between models....Sprockets at the front are always hard to gauge also
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A final update.

DB3 Dymag CF front wheel fit perfectly. Total weight saved by going to the CF wheels over the Anterras was 20+ lbs! Can't say enough good things about Harwood Performance Source bikehps.com in the U.K. for all the support they provided to me in getting the proper wheels.

Delays in getting the wheels sorted resulted in me going to full floating cast iron Brembo front rotors (thanks Reed), 41mm FCR carbs and a proper dyno tune. Finally done today

brian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic mate. Are you happy with Dyno tune, did it take many runs to get it right?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
kenmoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet bike mate.

Would love to her what it sounds like!
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!!!

Have CF dymags on my DB4 , they are GREAT !! maybe a little to light as bike just wants to be on its side all the time but you learn to live with it.Very Happy

FCR carbs are another great mod. Not only do you get an enhanced soundtrack to ride to but the response is amazing. You will not believe the difference a set of carbs makes to the air-cooled lump.
brian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
That looks great!!!

Have CF dymags on my DB4 , they are GREAT !! maybe a little to light as bike just wants to be on its side all the time but you learn to live with it.Very Happy

FCR carbs are another great mod. Not only do you get an enhanced soundtrack to ride to but the response is amazing. You will not believe the difference a set of carbs makes to the air-cooled lump.

I was thinking about putting a dynajet kit in my mikuni CV's but then thought I'd put that money towards a set of Mikuni flatslides. I haven't been able to find a set for the last year or so. If I find a set of Keihin FCR's I might just buy them and see what I need to do to the tank to get them to fit Rolling Eyes
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: