Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New boy ??? & SB6R rear hugger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: New boy ??? & SB6R rear hugger Reply with quote

Guys daft question time... why does the SB6 have a fuel pump to my new eyes the carbs could be gravity fed with tank head pressure ??
Also even though there is a low fuel light there is no fuel switch ?/
There is a hole in bottom of tank that is plugged I am assuming if there was one fitted it would go here ??
Lastly anyone know how I can get hold of a rear hugger pref carbon

Thanks for your help with the charging problem, invaluable, hope to start putting engine back tomorrow gosh arn't these bikes fun
again cheers
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

Ah, you've found another foible already - are you trying to get them all ticked off in one go - where's the fun in that? Tell him Chuckie.

You're quite right, no apparent need for the fuel pump. The story went that it was there to elminate starvation at sustained high speed. Your bike's doubtless had its main jets increased to cope with open pipes and for me at least I have never felt any starvation running on gravity. On the downside, the pump can completely muck up your fueling low down - so plenty of motivation to chuck it in the bin, or back on the lawnmower (I kid you not!) it came from. The other bonus to getting rid of it is that you regain some valuable airbox capacity. Don't know what air filter you've got. If it's the original bath sponge between a couple of bits of mesh, you might want to look at getting one from ITG.

There was indeed a fuel level sensor in the tank and I would think you would get one to go in there, if the hole can be opened up again.

Bimota Classics is probably your best bet for a hugger.

Since you're making such good progress, I'll share the other main fuel issue with you. The ethanol in most fuel today seems to attack the inside of the tank and then coats the inside of the carbs with a nasty paste, so it won't idle. I seem to remember your seller saying that he'd had the carbs cleaned. Whilst they would probably have been ready for a clean, this might be indicative of the dreaded dissolving tank. I would suggest you ask him if the tank has ever been lined. You can probably see yourself, if it's shiny inside, it probably has. If it hasn't it is worth doing. They all seem to suffer from it eventually, which I think contributes to the model ending up unloved.

Keep going, you'll have a stoater of a bike when it's done.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

PS he might have had the carbs cleaned to try to address low speed fuelling problems caused by the fuel pump - which you are about to cure by bidding the pump a cheery farewell. Either way, get the tank lined to avoid grief later on.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB6R spare part number for rear hugger is 503770050...called parafango - mudguard

A quick search on BimotaClassicParts says part not found....but email paolo directly anyhow and ask...he may not have listed them yet....

http://www.bimotaclassicparts.com/index.php?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=503770050&submit_search=

also try Armin Schneider of Bimota-teille.de........

I've checked his spare parts list....but again he doesnt seem to have any.....

Heres the Tav page 19 that you need....and all the other spare parts pages for anything else....

Wait...wait......Just checked Bimota-parts.de....run by a nice man called Rudolf........and ...yup.......he has a used carbon rear wheel cover for an SB6R....maybe not cheap......but when you are the only man out there with one???? I've used Rudolf a few times...hes very good...ut des not speak or read English...so you have to use google translate to write to him...and he doesnt take credit cards...only direct bank transfer to his bank...but again....he can be trusted...it commonplace in GErmany to use bank transfers.......

http://www.bimota-parts.de/en/component/virtuemart/sb6r/wheel-cover-rear-carbon-detail.html?Itemid=470
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SB6 will fuel starve if you run the fuel pipes over the carbs. Run them under the carbs and you'll be Ok.
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine back in and test run making good voltage.
Gosh its more than a little snug in there and the chinese puzzle of wat goes where first kept me laughing for hours.
Pump has been removed, so more weight gone there.
I shall try and chase up the hugger as it needs it
Air filter fitted looks to be a K@N type but does not quite fit properly leaving two small triangle sections uncovered.
I shall see if I cant find another replacement.
What type of tank lineing do I have to use ? as I suspect like all things some products will be shite
Everything else looks to be working (well for now) there are a few redundant connectors dotted about which is a little worrying.
Managed to get a blast in before the rain
those15 miles made it all worthwhile.
Ahh total milage is not recording now, is this normal ?

again cheers for the help and advice
most helpfull
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: SB6r Reply with quote

Well done with the generator coupler. As you say, routing the HT leads round the air box snorkel and rad neck is a giggle - the kind of giggle that will bring the men in white coats to take you away. Can be solved by going to after market coils and nice flexible Leads.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: SB6r Reply with quote

Fit an ITG air filter - not cheap, but washable and then re-usable.

Speak to Proturf on 01252 560515 and get some of their Caswell tank liner. You need to follow the instructions carefully, particularly the bit about the optimal temperature to apply it (26 degrees), which will allow it to flow, but still adhere to the inside of the tank. Probably a job for next summer or, better still, emigrate to a country that experiences a summer!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: SB6r Reply with quote

Ah, the clocks - they belong in the same receptacle as the fuel pump. They are a cheap and nasty thing, best replaced with any of the reputable after market clocks, not least of which is Koso, which Bimota used on subsequent models. You haven't got a lot of loom to play with, but it can be done.

Are you starting to see why the previous owner moved it on? But stick with it and you'll have a great bike.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redundant or spare electrical connecters???? No worries......Bimota take the engine and usually the wiring loom also from the donor bike...then cut it apart, modify it and leave lots of spare connectors...if it aint broke...dont fix it...just leave them...or like some do...tag them up with a lable saying "Nothing"...lest you forget again in the future.

I'd snag that rear hugger if you dont already have one...they really dont come up too often.....and no aftermarket place will have any for a model with such ltd production
sapila racing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi garySB6R,
A few years back I bought a brand new Original Bimota part Carbon SB6R rear hugger from German ebay by mistake as I own an SB6 and didn't pay attention to the details. The hugger on my SB6 has a crack...

The SB6R hugger is still brand new and wrapped in the box in my garage and I 'm willing to sell it as it is no use to me.
I had paid around 200 Euro + shipping, so I will sell it for the same price + shipping. I wouldn't like to make profit out of it.
If you are interested let me know, I can also take a picture if you want.
Aris
sbbimota

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take it...
sapila racing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbbimota wrote:
i'll take it...

Hi pete, I just saw your pm and replied.
Aris
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit slow there, asking for the rear hugger.
Perks of being away at sea
bugger
if anyone hears of another Im definately interested

Just have to keep cleaning the mud off the seat unit

cheers
Gary
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....As per my first post...Rudolf of Bimota-parts.de still has one for sale...as per the link at the very top of this post..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: