Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New yb8e owner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimip86

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: New yb8e owner Reply with quote

So picked up my second bimota yesterday.

Been of the road for a while so needs a once over.
Few cosmetic issues that I will sort.
The screen is cracked but have new one that came with bike.
who

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike! Congratulations on the arrival of your new family member. Smile
laminator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no you didn't buy a YB8 did you?

I also noticed you mentioned it's your second Bimota.....

Get to the doctors, sharpish. You've got an infection.

I was too late in realising my infection so am past the point of no return, but save yourself now. By the way a method to stop the infection spreading is to limit available space in your garage Smile

Great purchase, hope to catch up with you on the road some day.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats JimiP...although evidently I still prefer your sweet half fairing DB2.....Damage to paintwork doesnt look too bad....shows its use and age...which elements I dont mind so much....stops you from locking them away and not using them I find
Jimip86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Yb8e Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments ,
I have got the bimota bug for sure , ran out if space and money
Now though.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on a few
Issues I'm having ,
Firstly the screen is broken , the bike came with a new
Screen still in box from skidmarks.
But it don't fit it's not even close!!
Was the evo model different than the yb8 ?
I'm considering making a mould of my broken one
And making my own replacement.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...referencing the bible...the E bodywork was supposed to be identical to the YB8 furano...excepting the Furano has exposed sections of carbon fibre...then there was an earlier YB made from 90-92...the Furano being 92-93...and the E being 93-94....evidently yours with the broader green stripe is the less made production of just 24...the others being 169 etc etc...evidently there were changes of suspension, wheels carbs injection systems etc...but they all looked similar except the first YB8 which had a differen nose and perspex cover over the twin lights instead of recessed.....so who knows? Laminator on here would be one for that.........Skidmarx do offer a system of making a screen from scratch if you have an original...even if broken/cracked...but you do have to pay to send it to them...and evidently back again...I nearly went down this route once but they couldnt guarantee that they would do it...so I'd have to risk sending it off///losing it or paying for its return and still be no better off.......but try them again over the phone...maybe I got a bad employee.....Screens should come undrilled due to the bodywork being hand made and the bolt centre fixings varying from model to model

Skidmarx still list "YB8 screens...but strangely have a YB8 listing and YB8 furano.....I think they make to order from their template...as opposed to carrying stock....so it would be best if they receive yours to check their mould before going through with making another one that doesnt fit.......I presume you have tried it on the bike? as if you sit one on top of another they appear totally different???
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or contact DRT who list a standard and one tinted screen for Furano/YB8E

These are the parts numbers

111 1 503 070 010 Verkleidungsscheibe getönt Spoiler
112 1 503 070 010 Verkleidungsscheibe getönt gebraucht

The above translates as
Windshield tinted spoiler
Hand tinted windscreen

And this is the page saying he has them....

http://www.bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.html

Bimota Classic Parts search engine says Ugh Erh...but you could contact and ask

http://www.bimotaclassicparts.com/index.php?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=503+070+010&submit_search=

Or.......theres the german company GP500 who list YB8, YB8 furano and YB8 Evo and race screens and with pcitures that look the part.....and who says Bimota are hard to find parts for.... (tbh...DRT would just be sourcing direct from GP500.de anyhow...as theyve done the same with me before..)

http://www.gp500.com/Bimota_6TXX.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86395348@N03/sets/72157631480599798/
Jimip86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims

To be honest I just offered up the new on over the existing one .
Will double check tonight .
Also the old screen has been fitted with pop rivets and looks a right mess I'm presuming that this isn't how bimota did it ??
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh....now hopefully and possibly we see the error of your ways....The german company do make a double bubble race screen....but offering up the inside curvature of a new screen to the outside curvature of the old one would show them to be different as you are not comparing like with like...so hopefully once the old one is removed then the new one will magically fit.......just measure the width from where the old screen mounts at the front end neareast the clocks to the new one...total perimeter of the screen where it meets the bodywork etc....

Rivets??? heavens above...no...never seen a bimota with rivots except on wheel rims on the DB1 etc.....What they normally have is those tiny 4mm mushroom headed bolts that normally go into a threaded insert bonded to the underside of the fibreglass of the nose cone exactly like your DB2...so that the threaded part is captive with the bodywork.....they can easily break off though being so small and fragile if they were overtightened or had previously seized and thus sheared when the bolt was twisted.....evidently drill out carefully the rivots first or remove the nose cone to look underneath whether any of them are still in place...evidently though that means the whole front fairing being clam shelled apart on the YB8 as the whole thing is one piece....or just drill out and be damned with fairing in place......there should be 2 metal tubular arms that the mirrors attach to that are bolted with one bolt each to the headlamp fairing nose/ stem/assembly....allowing outward/inward adjustment of the 2 side arms......easiest is to remove the old screen...measure and mock place the new screen in place...adjusting those side arms so that it fits where it should...tape it in place and then drill slowly and carefully where the rivet holes are...to allow a 4 mm bolt to pass through...then a locknut and washer on the back...or bigger hole in the bodywork to accept a rubber wellnut for 4mm bolt...all depends how big a rivet has been used and whether its already been overdrilled........Just take your time if the new screen hasnt been drilled for holes...make sure theres no distractions around and no-one is going to bother you for at least an hour

If you are signed up to BimotaClassicParts website you can get the YB8 evo spare parts exploded diagrams....showing you how all the bits go together and the mirror stalks I'm talking about

http://www.sfogliami.it/flip.asp?sc=z94th0c6o34vrd5jo4hxpygr2j3xtulg&ID=117649#page/28
Jimip86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen turns out to be a yb8 and not a yb8 furano / evo.
Have contacted skidmarks to see if the will swap.
Taken fairing off today to have a good look underneath.
All looks ok just a bit grubby.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the BimotaClassicParts website again and they list for a screen for one of the YB8's...Being Typically Bimota...the parts diagrams list 3 different screens and 3 different fairings for YB8E, YB8 Furano and YB8....or at least different part nos....but could be the same part.who knows....

How was the clamshell removal operation? Did you lay out a fresh new rug/carpet for under the bike...placing the front wheel on a thin strip of wood/block with back wheel on rear stand...then many hands carefully prising it apart and pulling off over the front wheel?...DB2's the same...but then cleverly you bought a half fairing model you lucky so and so....
Jimip86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't bother with the carpet and extra careful removal
As the bodywork is rather bashed underneath.
Just took mirrors of and mudguard and eased it off.
Body work now in shed out of harms way whilst I get it running right.
Been sat for a while so wants a bit of carb adjustments etc.
who

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exup carbs are notoriously difficult things to get running right, Factory Pro have kits for them (needles, Emulsion tubes, jets, etc, which are all problematic on these carbs) and it's a good starting point.

Either that or the much improved YB11 carbs (essentially the same carb as the first R1, but 38 mm, not 40 mm) a massive improvement in reliability and tunability. But you will need thunderace outer intake tubes (the things that are between the head and carb) and a YB11 airbox (swap the front section with the YB8 bit) you will pick up about 6 hp and have a much more compliant bike.

Also, it's virtually impossible to balance the carbs on the Yb series, Bimota didn't even make the effort to drill through the rear of the carbs cross member on the YB6 - YB8, probably 10 as well framed bikes (the YB6 were only half drilled and the holes didn't properly line up anyway). This is so you can get to the screws that allow you to sync the carbs. YB11 does not have the beam at the back of the carbs... So happy days there!

The only way you will get one of these things running right is if you balance the carbs... It's essential, but impossible (happy for someone to prove me wrong Very Happy ) on the Furano framed bikes.

You really need to put them on a FZR1000 and balance them there, then put them back onto the Bimbo. At some point I'll make a template and drill the frames and bikes I have here, even though it sounds like sacrilege. These bikes are so annoyingly beautiful but the engineering so annoyingly under baked.

Also change the plugs. These motors notoriously destroy them, don't spend time in the shed half pissed running them up because you like the smell and the noise, because you will be faced with the job of changing plugs (which you need to do anyway).

It's a hardship, but can be done by letting the radiator mounts go so it falls forward and makes some space, and using special tools to remove the plugs and put new ones in. You should also trim the HT leads 6 mm because they loosen and corrode, and this is another common problem with the FZR's. Trim 6mm, because this leaves you with a lead in for the thread in spark plug caps. clockwise.

Whatever you do you are going to need to balance the carbs, because I can almost guarantee they have never been done, lol.

Good luck, the pain is worth it. Laughing

As you can see on this Furano, no holes to help with balancing Rolling Eyes The cut out on the cross member is to facilitate 41 mm FCR carbs.

trev45

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NF4 engine ?

Trev
who

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev45 wrote:
NF4 engine ?

lol. it's a 1987 RS125 motor, It goes with this brand new 1988 RS125

I thought the gold Furano would have caught your eye, or the ex-works OW01 frame and engine? It amazes me what catches peoples attention... Everyone to their own tastes I guess...lol

Cheers,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: