Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 won't start
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: YB10 Reply with quote

If you're having to give it some throttle until it's warmed up, it sounds as if you could do with another quarter turn out on your mixture screws.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
Thanks for the details Katy. I saw where it comes through and is held in place with a retainer. Frankly I forgot to inspect the choke cable on my last ride this past Saturday as I was anxious to get out the gate. The bike started right away, I just had to roll on the throttle a bit to keep up rpms until the bike warmed up. Will look at the cable during the week. Those elongated flexible drives are very handy. It will be a new addition to my measly tool set

Getting the carbs on without the flexi drive is a nightmare. First time took the carbs off took me pretty much the whole weekend.

An issue I had with mine was the idle adjuster. This uses a cable which twists, but sitting in one position means it gets a bend which pretty much stops it turning less than a full turn. In the end I just chopped the cable off and cut a small slot to use a screw driver to adjust the idle speed

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a panorama shot of me going through a canyon. The weather is about +12*C. BTW, the bike starts much easier and settles into idle without too much fuss. I have been good at riding it at least once every week. Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see a Bimota out and about and doing what they were made for.....THey do prefer to be ridden....rewarding you with better running and easier starting....dem electrics much prefer juice running through their system....had the same with my first Bimota that had been laid up for 7 years....once running again lots of previous niggles gradually ruled themselves out and started working properly, dash lights, starter/kill switch...etcetc.....it just wanted to be ridden and enjoyed....
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Missed opportunity Reply with quote

Repositioned the Bimotas in the garage to ride the YB10 while the SB8 is awaiting registration and insurance. Took out the Dieci this morning, started like a dream. As I started to "walk" the bike, noticed gas spots on the ground. Shut it down and noticed a bit of gas dripping from the right side. Probably a fuel tank return line. Took the R100GS out and got quite a bit of complements. Nice and all, but not the same after experiencing the YB10.

2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realized that I posted earlier that the leak was from the right side, it was actually from the left. Anyhoo, pulled both fairings off, checked both petcocks (the reserve switch on mine has been removed) - all is dry. Used the opportunity to wash the fairings and clean up dirt under them. Added some oil, hope she'll be fine. Maybe it was her way of getting some extra love.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be just un-ignited fuel thats made its way into the headers and from there down the 4:1 system to the branch where it would leak out with this being the downmost part of the system......happens if its taken a few cranks to turn them over before starting....dont see it with the Db2 or similar as they dont have joins at the bottom of the systems......just on the upswept branches so fuel collects in the bottom....and sometimes ignites with a nice big bang...... Laughing

Always good to strip them down occassionally...I would check on the integrity of the fuel hoses though...throughout their length if you dont know how old they are
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel lines are fresh. Checked them out while trying to check the no-start problem. No kinks either. I'm getting pretty good at pulling the fairings, except that right one still gives me difficulty while trying to get it past the cooling line. I'm itching to go riding, the weather is fantastic but the Queen bee has plans - it's Valentine's Day.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the float valves is a bit sticky?if it had been sitting for a while it might be worth pulling the carbs and giving them a clean
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the bike last weekend, put about 80 miles on her and about 100 miles the weekend before that. I did ethanol eliminator additive, thought it may have affected the lines but maybe not. The carbs were gone through by the seller last September.

With local distance I don't have any trouble of putting on a 100-200 miles on her on any given weekend. I don't want to beat her up during daily driving to work - it's only 5.5 mile distance one way but in crazy LA traffic. Won't do any of us any good.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: