Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Newbies DB4 photos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Newbies DB4 photos Reply with quote

Some photos of my DB4.
Succes at last in loading .
Thanks vort 😉

[][/img][/url]

brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work on the photos Laughing

Your db4 looks to be in good nic, original exhaust. Ohlins shock, nice
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the much favoured Tricolor , not many of those around , in fact the UK known population just gone up by 50% Laughing

Very nice.

So you say it needs work ? and pictures are from before lay up . What is there to do ?
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vort

It sure is a beutiful piece of art but one I am hoping to ride one day.
In my eyes power to weight ratio is king and I have heard that these can be so much fun to ride....its all about the twisty bits for me 😊

A bit of background history about the bike.
When I purchased the DB just over 7yrs ago from the previous owner,who was a collector, it was laid up for god knows how long.
And it has been in heated storage with me since then.
So it will need complete recomissioning of all the fluids also the cam belts will need replacing.
The carbs will have to come off for ultrosonic cleaning.
New tyres etc etc etc
A lot of the bolts and screws will need to be replaced also, as these have light corrosion on them and I dont like corrosion 😕
This has all come about from where the previous owner had it stored.
Cut a long story short he had various other exotic bikes up for sale.
And this is the one I bought.
I have had a few projects of my own to sort out and this is the final one yet to be recommissioned.
Plus other lifes problems have got in the way.
As I have never worked or owned a Bim before it will be all new to me 😨
Desmo shims ooooh.....😨
Shimmed up many a Jap ohc easy peasy but desmo's new ball game to me.

A quick question the oil cooler has a tap on it with piping going off to the carb float bowls, I presume this is some sort of anti icing method 😕
Also need to source a workshop manual for it, any ideas ?

Right thats it for now need my tea 😉
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi La Dolce....certainly does look good...when you say you've kept it in a heated environment....does that mean she had pride of place and lives indoors?

Yeh the piping from the Oil cooler goes to the float bowls to stop icing of the carbs....theres an on/off tap on the line...although I've never figured out which way is off or on so just left it be on mine

I have the DB4 workshop manual in electronic format so i can email that through to you if you like? Exploded pictures of the DB4 from the spare parts manual are available for viewing on BimotaClassicParts website......
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims

Yes correct kept indoors.

Thanks for the info on the de icing,I can't figure out which way is on or off either.

A oopy of the manual will be much appreciated thanks for that 😉
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a link to download the Db4 workshop manual....via dropbox...no excuses now....get here recomissioned over the winter and enjoy her real beauty.........
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I've sent you a link to download the Db4 workshop manual....via dropbox...no excuses now....get here recomissioned over the winter and enjoy her real beauty.........

Hi Steve

I have just sent you pm
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Good work on the photos Laughing

Your db4 looks to be in good nic, original exhaust. Ohlins shock, nice

Hi Brian

Thanks for the comments and it will one day look a lot better,photos can lie lol
And hopefully go alot better then just standing still
Smile

It took a few attempts and alot of cursing to load the photos, bit of a long way round to post.
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a bit of a pain to post pics here. There's a few of us that are on facebook, much easier to share pics on facebook
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice db4 tricolore! Congratulations! What are the last 3 digits of the frame number?
Really too bad it wasn't ridden. These bikes are made to be ridden.

It's really a good idea to change all the fluids and filters (front fork included) before even thinking of putting it on the road.

Carbs will need a cleanup. Valve adjustment shouldn't be needed, because it hasn't covered mileage. Preferably a change of tires too, these will be at least 16 years old.

But with some work you'll have a splendid bike. Expect to do some "fine tuning" like setting up the suspension and alter geometry (raise the back/lower the front) and you'll be rewarded with one of the best handling bikes ever built. Also lower the gearing, put 39Z or 40Z in the rear.

If you want to take it a step further: tune the engine to around 85 RWHP. Then you ride the db4 like it was meant to be. Light, powerful, nimble and very exclusive.

Don't take it to the track....... there's no way back..... Laughing Laughing

And eventually you'll look like this (with 944cc HC kit, FCR41mm, Carillos, lightened internals etc etc, around 98 RWHP and the bike lightened to less than 160 kg). And an inevitable repaint because the tricolore bodywork was damaged beyond repair.......

vort28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that corrosion on the frame in the 3rd picture or just the light ? Never seen an anodised frame corrode before.

Is the bike still in one piece inside and you guessing on the list , or is it in pieces ?

Did you hear it run before you collected it ?

Depending on your thought's towards the shotgun pipes, you might want to ditch those as they got to be the heaviest exhaust cans known to man !!! IMHO a single one suites the bike more.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Depending on your thought's towards the shotgun pipes, you might want to ditch those as they got to be the heaviest exhaust cans known to man !!! IMHO a single one suites the bike more.

Yep, the shotgun pipes would look nice hanging on the wall of the shed. I'd much prefer to have a 'Corse' can but in lieu of that, this carbon can doesn't look too bad. It sounds superb

deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Is that corrosion on the frame in the 3rd picture or just the light ? Never seen an anodised frame corrode before.

Is the bike still in one piece inside and you guessing on the list , or is it in pieces ?

Did you hear it run before you collected it ?

Shotgun pipes: in the past I took those apart, sawed off the internal stainless steel resonance type mufflers, welded perforated pipes in them, packed them and closed them up again. In fact I converted them from resonance type exhausts to absorption type exhausts.
Saved over 5 kg (just on the exhaust system!) and got away with a better running (and sounding) bike with still the original looking shotgun system. Now I got a single titanium Akrapovic from a RSV Mille made to fit and that weighs practically nothing.
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

deebee4 wrote:
Nice db4 tricolore! Congratulations! What are the last 3 digits of the frame number?
Really too bad it wasn't ridden. These bikes are made to be ridden.

It's really a good idea to change all the fluids and filters (front fork included) before even thinking of putting it on the road.

Carbs will need a cleanup. Valve adjustment shouldn't be needed, because it hasn't covered mileage. Preferably a change of tires too, these will be at least 16 years old.

But with some work you'll have a splendid bike. Expect to do some "fine tuning" like setting up the suspension and alter geometry (raise the back/lower the front) and you'll be rewarded with one of the best handling bikes ever built. Also lower the gearing, put 39Z or 40Z in the rear.

If you want to take it a step further: tune the engine to around 85 RWHP. Then you ride the db4 like it was meant to be. Light, powerful, nimble and very exclusive.

Don't take it to the track....... there's no way back..... Laughing Laughing

And eventually you'll look like this (with 944cc HC kit, FCR41mm, Carillos, lightened internals etc etc, around 98 RWHP and the bike lightened to less than 160 kg). And an inevitable repaint because the tricolore bodywork was damaged beyond repair.......

Hi Deebee

Awesome machine you have there Wink

My DB4 is number 120 so about midway of the numbers built.
I agrree with all the restoration and servicing mods that you commented on.
There will be probably loads of other bits that will need doing along the way.
Thanks for the tip on the rear sprocket, thats what this forum is all about, excellent help and info from all you guys that know the in and outs of these models.....much appriciated.

I have a Nos DB4ie exhaust can and I was thinking of swapping out for the shotgun cans, I think it might just fit with a bit of wiggiling.
I am not sure but I think the carbs will need rejetting after fitting this can.
What I really need to do is check if there is any weight loss over the shotgun cans,,or I might just try and find another can that is lighter.
But I really do like the look of the shotgun cans Very Happy

There is no fear of me hitting the race tracks, but I do like the idea of extra power and with a weight loss it all helps.
Probably the biggest weight loss that would give massive improvement, would be if I lost my big fat belly haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: