Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Newbies DB4 photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vort

The previous owner must have used some sort of alloy wheel cleaner and it has left some streaky runny marks on it.
The bike has the all the fairings removed for ease of access.
I did not hear it running but it did turn over on the button.
I knew that the carbs would need attention ie cleaning out.
I did make a list of all the obvious needs awhile back,managed to get hold of 99% of the items.
A nice set of tachyon carbon clip ons also a nice smoked screen.
A rear subframe as mine was not in situ.
One day! one day! it will rise again.

vort28 wrote:
Is that corrosion on the frame in the 3rd picture or just the light ? Never seen an anodised frame corrode before.

Is the bike still in one piece inside and you guessing on the list , or is it in pieces ?

Did you hear it run before you collected it ?

Depending on your thought's towards the shotgun pipes, you might want to ditch those as they got to be the heaviest exhaust cans known to man !!! IMHO a single one suites the bike more.
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladolcevita7 wrote:
Hi Vort

The previous owner must have used some sort of alloy wheel cleaner and it has left some streaky runny marks on it.
I did make a list of all the obvious needs awhile back,managed to get hold of 99% of the items.

The rear subframe is there (that's where the shock reservoir is bolted to). But you don't have the extra support for the the rear section of the monocoque. That came later because of complaints about monocoques cracking. Mine did not have one when I bought it. I added it later.

No need for rejetting the carbs when you fit the db4ie silencer. The bracket frame to silencer is different from the shotgun exhaust. But you can bend it to fit (oops, am I swearing now....?)
But rejetting with Dynojet stage 2 would be an improvement like on all the other carbed 900 doc engines.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh ...there would be a weight loss...the shotgun cans are very heavy....and it would fit into the two headers although its a tight fit trying to get both in at the same time...loosenings the headers helps........Only problem is...all of the ie models with that single can fitted were twin seaters....and the exhaust hanger bracket also doubled up as the rear pillion peg hanger....and this hanger is a lot longer to fit onto the loose strap needed for the single can (if you have the strap for the single can)...you'll be about 3-4 inches short of reaching the bracket with your existing hanger...The I.e. cans come up about level of the underside of the hugger line....whereas the shotgun cans come up level with the top of the hugger.......
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Resto Reply with quote

Hi Debee

Sorry I got that wrong,yes I meant to say the rear monocoque support, not sub frame.
I have one them and will fit it in due course.
Bend no! manipulate yes haha
Thanks for the info on not needing to rejett and Dyno jet kit upgrade.
In regards to the Dyno kit does a 900ss fit or do they do a specific kit for the DB4 ?

deebee4 wrote:
ladolcevita7 wrote:
Hi Vort

The rear subframe is there (that's where the shock reservoir is bolted to). But you don't have the extra support for the the rear section of the monocoque. That came later because of complaints about monocoques cracking. Mine did not have one when I bought it. I added it later.

No need for rejetting the carbs when you fit the db4ie silencer. The bracket frame to silencer is different from the shotgun exhaust. But you can bend it to fit (oops, am I swearing now....?)
But rejetting with Dynojet stage 2 would be an improvement like on all the other carbed 900 doc engines.
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that 2bims.

Looks like I will either have to stay standard or make another brkt or find an aftermarket can.
There is no such thing as a cheap Corse...😕
But if the ie can sits lower on fitting,surely it would ground out alot easier on the bends ? So not so good an idea me thinks.

2bims wrote:
Yeh ...there would be a weight loss...the shotgun cans are very heavy....and it would fit into the two headers although its a tight fit trying to get both in at the same time...loosenings the headers helps........Only problem is...all of the ie models with that single can fitted were twin seaters....and the exhaust hanger bracket also doubled up as the rear pillion peg hanger....and this hanger is a lot longer to fit onto the loose strap needed for the single can (if you have the strap for the single can)...you'll be about 3-4 inches short of reaching the bracket with your existing hanger...The I.e. cans come up about level of the underside of the hugger line....whereas the shotgun cans come up level with the top of the hugger.......
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Reply with quote

Dynojet Stage 2 from a Monster 900 (S) or Supersport will fit flawlessly. Even better is it to fit a Mikuni TDMR40 set, that's a direct swap. That rocks too and you don't need to alter throttle cable route and special fuel tank or do some modifications to keep the fuel tank from touching the Keihin FCR set.
Pricewise a used set of Mikuni TDMR40 will be a far better improvement in throttle response and performance gain than the IMHO very overpriced Dynojet stage 2 kit.

ladolcevita7 wrote:
Hi Debee

Sorry I got that wrong,yes I meant to say the rear monocoque support, not sub frame.
In regards to the Dyno kit does a 900ss fit or do they do a specific kit for the DB4 ?

Last edited by deebee4 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladolcevita7 wrote:
Cheers for that 2bims.

Looks like I will either have to stay standard or make another brkt or find an aftermarket can.
There is no such thing as a cheap Corse...😕
But if the ie can sits lower on fitting,surely it would ground out alot easier on the bends ? So not so good an idea me thinks.

The ie can will not touch the tarmac sooner than the double can. Look at various pictures of the db4ie and carbed db4 and you'll see that in fact the double can sits lower.

I used the first part of a db4ie exhaust to fit on the headers and sawed off the rest. Then I had a short pipe welded onto that part so I can fit a slip on can onto it. Now I can fit any slip on can on it, and it gives you a broad selection in slip on silencers to fit: titanium or carbon fibre, oval or round.

DB4 ie can is absorption type muffler and double can is resonance type. In fact the aluminium outer tubes from the double cans are just for looks. Inside there's a complete stainless steel exhaust system. That explains the weight. Somewhere on my computer disks I have some pictures of the opened up double exhaust system during the conversion into a absorption type silencer. That conversion is worthwhile if you're handy and brave enough. Only difference on the outside are rivets also on the rear side to hold the end cap.
ladolcevita7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Resto Reply with quote

Wil look into a set of carbs as you are right in regards to the over priced Dyno kits.
Cheers Deebee

deebee4 wrote:
Dynojet Stage 2 from a Monster 900 (S) or Supersport will fit flawlessly. Even better is it to fit a Mikuni TDMR40 set, that's a direct swap. That rocks too and you don't need to alter throttle cable route and special fuel tank or do some modifications to keep the fuel tank from touching the Keihin FCR set.
Pricewise a used set of Mikuni TDMR40 will be a far better improvement in throttle response and performance gain than the IMHO very overpriced Dynojet stage 2 kit.

ladolcevita7 wrote:
Hi Debee

vort28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian - Early xmas present for you

Now they may be expensive but they are a work of art and the lightest can I have ever held. !! Shocked Very Happy

On the carb side , mine has Keihin FCR's not Mikuni , so I can't confirm 100% but I have to say that riding my bike and a standard carb DB4 back to back , you would not believe the difference a set of carbs makes.
If I were you, I would ditch the standard carbs, get a nice set of Mikuni's and K&N's , if you like the shotgun pipes get them stripped out and lightened, and then get it set up on the dyno. You will have one of the best bikes going, and the induction noise from the pod filters is amazing.

Last edited by vort28 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Now they may be expensive but they are a work of art and the lightest can I have ever held. !! Shocked Very Happy

On the carb side , mine has Keihin FCR's not Mikuni , so I can't confirm 100% but I have to say that riding my bike and a standard carb DB4 back to back , you would not believe the difference a set of carbs makes.
If I were you, I would ditch the standard carbs, get a nice set of Mikuni's and K&N's , if you like the shotgun pipes get them stripped out and lightened, and then get it set up on the dyno. You will have one of the best bikes going, and the induction noise from the pod filters is amazing.

Corse can really is superb. But it's way too loud for track day use and my titanium Akrapovic can also is very light.

And yes: a good set of carbs really transforms te bike into a blast. The sound of the flat slide Keihins with comical pod filters really is great. With the Mikunis you can still use the stock airbox, but why would you keep this restriction in place anyway....
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Corse can really is superb. But it's way too loud for track day use and my titanium Akrapovic can also is very light.

And yes: a good set of carbs really transforms te bike into a blast. The sound of the flat slide Keihins with comical pod filters really is great. With the Mikunis you can still use the stock airbox, but why would you keep this restriction in place anyway....
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deebee4 wrote:

Corse can really is superb. But it's way too loud for track day use

Oh YES, VERY LOAD, the only bike I have that is louder is the DB7 with open pipes. Shocked
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/vort28/DSC_0200_zpsrciojlc5.jpg[/img

Oh yes please, shoot me you're paypal ano I'll fix you up while my mrs is out of town Laughing Shocked Very Happy
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to take advantage of you whilst your wife is away !! Very Happy but it is VERY nice Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: