Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Newby (ish) now has a bike!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Crinkle washers?...I hope that your photo is purely for "display" purposes only...and that you havent fitted them behind the alloy carrier where it bolts to the wheel hub?

No worry the carrier was just a nice flat surface on which to show the BIG difference between new and old. New washers fitted between circlip and rear of disc carrier.

Quote:
Split pin on the chain.......Now there's a brave man.....Aren't they an MOT Fail nowadays or is that just a rumour I heard

When I opened the pack I couldn't find the hollow rivet link (not packed or fell out) so used the spring clip just to fit. Not sure about the MOT but for peace of mind I will replace it with rivet before venturing out .

Me as OCD?? I don't think my wife would describe me as that.
Many of the restos I've seen here and on other make forums are much more thorough than mine but the vestigial engineer in me tries not to take any shortcuts..Italian bikes in particular had care and emotion built in to them and a little TLC payback after many years is the least they deserve. :
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....I'm digging your funky reverse gear change set up...is your left foot on backwards?

MEA CULPA!!.....oh the SHAME!!!

I swivelled the peg there out of the way when I was refitting the sprockets etc and CLEARLY forgot to correct it afterwards. I must have sat in front of that for the last 2 days at least!!
Definitely a 'senior' moment that will be corrected today.

Embarassed Embarassed
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: almost there Reply with quote

I managed to grab one of the brief sunny 'spells' today to take some photos outside the garage,where the Bim has lived for the last 3 months since arriving from Germany

Nearly there with the recommissioning, just a few checks and tweaks before I fire her up for the first time . Then its put her fairing/seat on and MOT time before getting some UK plates.

Although any Bimota looks good (DB3??) with her clothes on there is a different beauty with them all off like here...at least that's what I think.

hope you agree!
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. It'll be a stunning bike. Almost a shame to take out riding.... Wink

One question (or maybe I've overseen that in previous posts): did you have the Paioli forks serviced too?
Because the internal damping "cartridges" are made from aluminium and wear out fast if you don't clean them out and change the oil frequently.
Maintenance is cheaper than overhaul.....
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see you are almost finished and doing such a good job. You never know what has been done to a 20yr old bike Shocked until its had a good going over.
Just in time as the sun is threatening to come out and temperatures are nearly in double figures.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good WelshLamb...but then she is naked......a fondness held by most....
Just a quick thought, and also coz I dont know if you follow other threads on here....Have you pointed her at a blank wall at night and turned the lights on?...Not sure from the pictures but do you have the twin beam unit headlight? Where one unit is main beam...and the other is high beam? sidelight on euro bike being a separate unit above that?
A fellow Vdue owner has a Eurospec bike in NI...and fell fowl of their MOT test as the main beam unit kicks up to the right and not the left as is needed in the UK..........Only a quick test will tell...not normally an issue if you know the MOT man well enough that he may turn a blind eye to it.......Apparently you can strip the unit down and reverse the deflector plate but I dont think I'd like to try debonding the lens from the plastic body...as its this that would need removing and replacing.......
Whilst her clothes are off best to check........

Happy to see the gear lever pointing forwards for people with normal foot joints.... Laughing
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeBee said
Quote:
did you have the Paioli forks serviced too

I had to stop the refurbishment somewhere but appreciate the comment and will add to the 'to do' list

Vort said
Quote:
You never know what has been done to a 20yr old bike Shocked until its had a good going over.

My days of "giving a good going over" to any 20 yr old are but a dim memory. Nothing too drastic was required for this bike but just takes time to work your way through to assess condition and then source bits...and of course there's a torrent of Ebay purchases right at the end as you realise all the new fasteners etc you still need.

Will post up a list of the main parts sources I used when I'm finished may be of use to others (I know there were others after the instrument cover when 2Bims did his thread so I've already posted details)

For sure I would like some engine work but that will have to wait a while (hopefully next winter?)

2Bims said
Quote:
A fellow Vdue owner has a Eurospec bike in NI...and fell fowl of their MOT test
.. Yes mine is a Euro spec dual unit light

[/url]

I wonder if there was a UK specific light for the FZR400SP or was that the only supplied with a single light unit? I will in any case add the headlight check to my list this week, but not much I can do other than be selective in which MOT centre I go to
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:

2Bims said
Quote:
A fellow Vdue owner has a Eurospec bike in NI...and fell fowl of their MOT test
.. Yes mine is a Euro spec dual unit light

[/url]

I wonder if there was a UK specific light for the FZR400SP or was that the only supplied with a single light unit? I will in any case add the headlight check to my list this week, but not much I can do other than be selective in which MOT centre I go to

Difficult to see the grading on the lens of that light unit...it isnt a Vdue unit though....the right hand side as you look at it is a projecter beam like Vdue...but Vdue has a round lamp also as the high beam on the LHS and a single side light bulb down below.........UK spec's Db2's had a standard single unit headlight with correct "kick"...twin filament bulb and separate sidelight down below......Easy enough to source one for MOT if needed...I have my ld spare unit with bulbs still in as I swopped over for a Vdue unit....and the spade ended wires just pull off and fit straight on.....Or find a "very nice man" with an MOT garage....
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:

I wonder if there was a UK specific light for the FZR400SP

You see the 400SP lights on ebay every now and then , twin bulb with a red ring around each lens. Look quite nice but the bulbs are expensive. Vdue light pop up every now and then but they are generally £100+.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
twin bulb with a red ring around each lens

like this....

is it a straight plug and play?

If it comes to that I think Yahoo Japan will be my best bet.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one, couldn't find an image before.

One's I have bought have come with the 2-1 loom , so it is relatively plug and play. But I don't think the headlight in your DB2 is standard as they all came with a single lens light ( I could be wrong) , so your wiring could have been played with already.

The FZR light is a plain twin light, so both low and high beam, not like a vdue/DB4 where they are low normal side and then high projector side.
The other issue with the later projector light is the depth. I could not get the projector on in my YB11 as it hit the clocks, but 2bim's got one in his DB2 but its close.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought a set of red eyes...make sure they come with working bulbs....specials they be and over 40gbp a set apparently......

Vdue headlight projecter unit fits very nicely onto DB2 mounts, same size lens for aperture and mounting bolts etc....Only bug bear is I had to strip the clocks off to undo the speedo drive connecter plate and rejig its position...then cut a slot in the back of the light unit of the RHS projecter unit so that the speedo drive could make a route down to the front wheel.......Twas the only way...and I have an especially long speedo drive on my DB2 due to forks being changed.....there really was no other way to fit it without cutting a slot in the back of the light unit.......after that was plug and play with wiring spade connecters......

All UK DB2's came with single lamp dual filament unit...Eurospecs all had twin light units with separate sidelight unit above the main headlight.....
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the bulb's are about £10-15 each, can't remember what I paid now, just remember they are not readily available as a strange size and expensive as normal bulbs go. Chances are the filements in an old set will get broke in the post so worth factoring into price.
highlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help - TRX850 headlight is a straight swap for FZR400 and hence maybe here too. Dead simple and cheap ... at least as a temporary option.

I wouldn't ever make the egregious error that "cheap" and "Bimota" belong in the same sentence!
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't seem to have had the magic combination of time, sun, clean bike and camera until yesterday here are some final shots of the bike with its clothes on!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: