Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Speedo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: SB6R Speedo Reply with quote

OK, Let's start a new thread for my defunct speedo Wink
I've tested the sensor on the wheel. When I spin the wheel, I can hear a clicking in the clocks so I presume the sensor is working.
Muzza had a problem with the ribbon wire in his clocks, I'm hoping it is that as it should be fairly cheap and easy to sort.
I'm guessing it's the stepper motor as this seems to be the most common problem on these clocks.
Any one want to help me out here with how to get the clocks apart or any suppliers for the steppers that will sell me less than 10 at a time Wink
ALL assistance in this matter will be met with a huge amount of gratitude Laughing
jonoft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota used a Stanley knife to open these clock. I used a Stanley knife and a heat gun to very carefully heat the plastic before cutting the case open. It is difficult to get a clean cut, but it can be done. Don't use silicon sealant or glue containing acid when sealing the case as this will cause corrosion inside.

I am the former Bimota importer for Norway and right now in the process of cleaning out the warehouse. There are just a few bits left that I am going to sell on ebay this week. Among the bits there should be new instrument cases so if you should ruin yours give me a shout at jonoft@frisurf.no. I don't have stepper motors anymore, but there could still be used instruments with good usable motors. I'll have a look tomorrow or the day after.

There are a number of issues with these instruments. The most common is caused by a condensor used as a voltage supressor. Regards Jon
oily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, Your a hero Laughing
From everything I've read on the web, My money is on the stepper motors even though I haven't pulled it apart yet.
I'll Email you.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Next clue.
The instruments all work as they should except for the speedo. It even registers the total KM travelled.

I could always use the Km travelled and time taken to work out the speed I was doing past the speed camera Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always ask the wife what speed you got to? She seems to be the one on front most of the time... Smile
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mange tac Jon. Det var meget godt! Hvor er du bo i Norge? Jeg raise til Bergen eller Oslo noen gange, so jeg prove til snakker norske ( as bad as my spelling ) Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
You could always ask the wife what speed you got to? She seems to be the one on front most of the time... Smile

I can never catch her and quite obviously, she never looks at the speedo Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just took it for a MOT which it passed, no probs, but I've now gotta sort this speedo problem before I end up with loadsa ticket's.
Any more advice, suggestions, pointers or spare parts before I tackle it. Crying or Very sad
rpo83

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get your original one going, you could always neatly install something like this.

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

I have one, they are very nicely made, compact and versatile... I bought it to run in my 4X4 so i could easily adjust for different tyre diameters.

Otherwise, install a GPS
oily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been thinking about that Steve. Never had anything to do with the trail tech but I've fitted a couple of Acewell's in the past and they do the job Wink
I'd rather get the SB6R ones working if I can as they are a big part of the bike and being as there is a lot of the bike missing already............. Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE
Now got the speedo case apart with no drama's but I cannot for the life of me get the speedo/tacho needles off the motors.
Any idea how they are fixed to the motors guys. Sad
jonoft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are glued. I've been out of town and have just read your mail. I have now found an used instrument, but I don't know yet about the condition. I'll let you know after the weekend.

Regards
Jon

Pompey, jeg forstod alt så lykke til med norsken!
oily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon.
Very good glue, I can't budge them Laughing
must try harder.
look forward to hearing from you
jonoft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit tricky, yes. But there is a 2 mm gap between the stepper motor and the needle. You need a pair of jewellers nose-pliers. Use it to hold the tiny shaft or axle of the stepper motor and try twist and turn the needle to loosen it.

Regards
Jon
oily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did Jon.................Then slipped and pulled the good stepper motor apart Laughing

Never rains but it pours Laughing
at least it's all apart and ready for surgery.

P.S. You have PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: