Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10, help with wheels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,

Not heard of the suspension guru near Preston! I will contact them and have a chat, my business is based just outside of Chorley, so I will take the bike across when this weather improves. I spoke to Ian at Speedycom last year. I was trying to locate an Extremetek steering damper, alas they did not have one in stock. Ian was very helpful and offered to meet up at last years TT, think that we all share the common thread that is Bimota or other nicely screwed together motorcycles. Quite pleased in the end that I could not get the steering damper that they fir to the DB10, instead I fitted (with a lot of help from an engineering friend) a GPR rotary damper. It works brilliantly stops all those frightening tank slappers, easy to adjust on the fly and just looks the dogs...
Again thanks for the comments
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb8rs wrote:
Just to keep this going

What about disc weights?

I put American Braketeck discs on my SB8RS as they were half the weight of the OEM brembos

Any thoughts?

I have some New Brembo's and EBC's at home so will give them a weigh over w/e.

mick wrote:
you don't need to worry about fitting tyres to Bst rims any decent motorcycle tyre fitter will have no problem

Sorry maybe I should clarify. Its not that they have problems fitting tyres to the rims , they will not risk damaging/scratching them in process , so refuse to fit. £10 to fit tyres is hardly worth risking damage to £1000 wheel .
(Strangely enough BST's are mean't to be alot easier to fit tyres to than my Dymags as the rim bead is quite small.)
Person I use is the garage owner , so has no issues spending 3 times longer being very careful , plus he always likes a good chat anyway.
glened

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After due consideration and the sale of both children, wife and family pet! The wheels have been ordered. I will try and load some pics and thoughts after I have fitted them and ridden on them Very Happy
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
After due consideration and the sale of both children, wife and family pet! The wheels have been ordered. I will try and load some pics and thoughts after I have fitted them and ridden on them Very Happy

Selling the family pet is going a bit far mate. Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that theres only Australia that shares the same sense of humour as the Brits?.... Laughing
glened

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Good news/bad news Reply with quote

The wheels arrived on Thursday 24th March, this is the good news...

Dropped them of at the tyre shop I know to have some new rubber fitted, this is the bad news....

After fitting the tyres, they where unable to inflate the tyre correctly, upon closer inspection it would appear that the tyre was leaking from the bead. The tyre was then removed for further investigation.. I looks as if the internal rim of the wheel where the tyre bead sits has de-laminated. Part of the section has broken off and a further 10-12 inches has come away from the wheel. The issue now is that the took 6 weeks to arrive! is it going to another 6 weeks to repair? that is say if I want it repaired. Got to say that the wheels look great and they are extremely light, however I can only say that at this moment in time I am "GUTTED" and less than impressed with BST wheels.

I will keep all appraised Sad
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that "gutted" quite covers the emotions and thoughts you must be having....hardly a cheap upgrade and must be raising all sorts of "ifs and buts" in your mind....presumably you'd fitted the discs with new bolts also to both wheels........I'm no carbon expert....but I think replace and not fix is all that I would consider
glened

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Gutted is the polite way of saying how "ticked" off I am, I will be in touch with HPS when I get back from my Easter break. In the mean time I will try and upload some pictures. Like you I am more drawn to replace rather than repair. However where the de-lamination has occurred is on the inside of the wheel. In essence majority of the pressure load will be pushing from the inside out. I will try and load some images
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: BSTs Reply with quote

Carbon wheels can certainly be repaired if damaged, but I think I would be asking for a new one. I've never had any problems with the quality of BSTs and not heard of anybody else having problems. So, if it's any comfort, I think you've just been profoundly unlucky. I've dealt with HPS on many occasions and always been very happy and on the odd occasion that something's not been quite right, they've always fixed it very quickly.

I'm very confident you'll get it sorted. But if they have to bring another one in from South Africa, you'll probably have to wait for a bit.

When they're on, you'll be very happy.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with any of my carbon dymags. Was a bit concerned when I got them as heard things about being porous, but they hold pressure like any other wheels so seem to have good integrity .

I would be very concerned about the quality control if a wheel that flawed had got to you. Imagine what would have happened if that had held together for a few miles before it gave way !!!!

Or was the damage caused by the fitters ????

In a previous life I made military grade carbon parts for planes and formula 1 cars , carbon repaired !!! Shocked . Problem with carbon is it can be seriously damaged and look fine.So when you can see the damage just imagine whats inside. The only way it can be guaranteed after repair is to x-rayed and analysed and tested, and by that time you've destroyed it anyway. If its damaged it goes in the bin , you can't just put a bit of epoxy resin in the crack. Its strength is in the continuous strands and the pre-preg resin.
glened

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. The wheels have now been returned to HPS, Giles the owner has been very helpful. Firstly with an apology and with the promise that the issue will be resolved. He has contacted BST, who have acknowledged the issue, and again have committed to getting a new rear wheel out to me asap.

HPS have checked the front wheel and have confirmed that it is OK.

I have sent an email requesting that they confirm in writing that the front wheel is ok and how they have checked it, and is the wheel OK to have a tyre fitted using a tyre machine (Hofmann 701).
I was going to use the new range of Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart 2, however they appear to have a very stiff side wall has anyone had any experience of them?

Regards Glen
brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that they acknowledge the problem and are going to rectify it. Hope it's not too long
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used the Dunlop Sportsmart tyres. I can recommend the new Dunlop Q3's or Michelin Pilot Power 3's though. Good for track days too if you don't want to use tyre warmers
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
glened

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update...
New wheels arrived today, hope to get the tyres fitted this weekend. Will use tyre warmers to try and make the yres easier to fit to the rims. Have got confirmation from HPS that the "Hoffman" tyre machine is approved to fit the tyres. Fingers crossed they will be fitted OK, hope so I am off to Scotland on it next Thursday for a scamp around the highlands
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear Glen...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...with rabbits foot necklace around my head...

I'd say "ride safe" around the Highlands and watch out for roaming stray haggis....but I know you'll be riding like you stole it.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: