Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6 Fuel tap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: YB6 Fuel tap Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the fuel tap for a YB6 tank is?

It has two outlets, one for reserve and the other for main. I can find quite a few with main/reserve but they only have one outlet.

I'm after the one that fits into the tank (above item 21 in the diagram)

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a makers mark on the tap ?
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EC,

Unfortunately I don't have it. I lent the tank to someone with it on and when the tank came back it wasn't there. I may still get it back but thought I'd try and locate one just in case. I can never have enough spares...

I was going to refit the tank last weekend but couldn't. I thought about using the one off my spare YB7 tank but that one only has one outlet, the same as all the other YB's I've got.

On the other bikes there is a solenoid for reserve but the YB6 has a fuel tap mounted on the left hand side to switch between main and reserve. (fuel tap next to item 20 on the diagram)
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a true "bummer" that Lammy...feel for you.........

Its most odd that that "spare parts" brochure doesnt even bother to give a code or number for either the twin piped insert or the fuel tap....as if Bimota have had nothing to do with it and never had an idea about it.....I'd try looking at Ascerbis who were making tanks for Bimota at the time...and even Paioli....were werent making tanks...but forks and rear shocks...and also occassionally fuel pumps.........which may explain why theres no coding........

Struggling...been spending many happy an hour on google image searches...seems the top part is pure nylon to act as fuel filter...then you need twin outlets that then feed to a presumably "more accessible" switched tap that can switch on/off and change to reserve?

http://uk.picclick.com/03-2003-SUZUKI-LS650-LS-650-SAVAGE-FUEL-331728297799.html
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its not the same.........but Suzuki stuff keeps coming up....this has twin levels and twin rear mounted outlets...that evidently would then feed to your remote tap

http://uk.picclick.com/1999-Suzuki-Marauder-VZ800-Gas-Tank-Fuel-Filter-121868576947.html
tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this?
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks EC, 20bims, and Jim. I'd checked yamaha fzr, etc with no luck.

After a Google search for the image it comes up as rd250/rd250.

I've ordered one just to see if it fits.

Cheers
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a follow up to the OP.

I purchased the fuel valve from an RD250/RD350 for the YB6 tank. I had to slightly elongate the holes for the bolts to fit the tank but no problem.

On the YB6 it has the fuel tap under the tank (to isolate it when removing with fuel inside) and a main/off/reserve tap on the left hand side of the fairing. This meant I required a main and reserve feed from the tank to the auxiliary tap. I checked the newly purchased item buy blowing down the infeeds and turning the tap. On main, only the outlet for main allows fuel through. On reserve however it lets fuel flow through the main and reserve outlets. This is what was required to feed the auxiliary tap.

RandyK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is vastly different from my YB-6 exup.

Randy

[/url]
laminator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

Yeah, the tank above is from my YB6 non-exup. They have a reserve/main tap mounted in the fairing on the left hand side. My YB7, 8, 9 and 10 have the same setup as your photo.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: YB6 Fuel Tap Reply with quote

Randy, once your motor is hot, it looks like the hose from your reserve tap is going to kink and you're not going to get much fuel coming through. There is so little space between the bottom of the fuel tank and the top of the motor/wiring loom that it needs very careful routing of the fuel lines to ensure that they continue to pass fuel once the motor has warmed up and in turn softened the rubber in the hose and allowed it to kink if it's going to. There's a lot to be said for putting a fitting at each point where the fuel line bends, to avoid kinks.

Kinks are fine in the bedroom, but you don't want them in your fuel lines Wink
RandyK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the fuel line hanging down like it is makes it kink. The "T" goes back under the tank, then snakes around to the other fitting. When this happens the link flattens out and I believe it's good, as no fueling issues! Although the plan is to put proper fittings on everything shown before it goes back in the bike this spring!

Thanks! Randy
brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or could you one of these handy little gadgets

'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: