Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Problems with SB6R?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kojay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Problems with SB6R? Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Just back from a trip to Isle of Man with the SB6R. Meet v12al there at the Crosby hotel. It was amazing to see how different the SB6 and SB6R bikes are.
Spotted another SB6R there and managed to track down the guy. He had bought his bike new a number of years ago and has put 25k plus miles on it. He said that all the SB6R's alternators go at a rubber bush inside the alternator due to an overheating problem. Has anyone else had this problem, if so does it just die or do you receive some warning that it is about to expire?
Only saw one other Bimota there, a French YB11 which was needing some TLC.

Cheers Kojay Very Happy
oily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard this rumor years ago when I sB6's. Never known one to go and never met anyone who had one go. Best to just get on with it and worry about it IF it happens Laughing
Kojay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just stay away from traffic jams and keep it pinned Very Happy
oily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way Wink
sapila racing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SB6 had this problem and I have seen info on the web about many others.
I found out the hard way...

I managed to fix it but it isn't an easy task.
First you have to take the alternator out, and repair it if the fault is there.
It is an all in one unit, ie generator and regulator in one.
Then you have to remove the rubber bushing if you have a problem there, this is the tricky part.
It might be charging but not as it should as the rubber bushing can act as a slipper clutch if it is damaged.
In order to do it I used brutal methods as I would have to remove the engine to do it properly.
Suzuki now has a new improved part so if it happens to you you should buy the new one. I have the part number somewhere if somebody neds it.
After repairing the alternator and replacing the bushing I did not install teh rubber mat that is supposed to protect from petrol or something.

Actually this is the culprit for the charging problems, as the unit is not getting any cooling at all.
I hope this helps someone here.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: SB6R Alternator Reply with quote

The alternator coupler does go. I've just replacd mine at 10,000 miles. There's no warning. The coupler is a female toothed wheel set in rubber. The rubber breaks up and the toothed wheel is no longer turned by the motor. You can take a look at the rubber to see if it's breaking up, without dropping the motor, by taking out the 3 bolts that hold the alternator in place. Pull the alternator out and take a look at the material surrounding the driving toothed wheel.

The original Suzuki part number has been superseded and hopefully the new one incorporates tougher rubber.
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought my bike with the problem... the seller just kept charging the batteries up for a day and ran it as total loss rather then deal with the issue and did not tell me. Never mind. Tried to get the alternator out without dropping the engine but the long bolt kept catching on the frame brace so it was quicker to bite the bullet strip out the engine. Quickly found the offending article buggered and went down to my local bike breakers in the vain hope of getting a replacement. Amazingly found a whole unit straight away and had no problems ever since. The replacement was from an RF900 suzuki and is exactly the same charging system as the sb6. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: