Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R leaking issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb8rs wrote:
Very nice
Looks like sb8rs rearsets but in silver, interesting.
Please note bushes are harder than the foot peg, I have had to have mine machined to put softer bushes in.
Can you find out from the previous owner if he retro fitted these and if he did where did he source?
Thanks in advance.

The seller is not the original owner who had done this modification. In fact, extent of his knowledge about the history of this particular bike is limited. However, I did source a video of the previous owner describing the bike:

https://youtu.be/4-ogrFmbiLo

The seller told me that the guy in the video is the original owner, was friends with an owner of an aftermarket company (evoluzione.net?) who modded the bike for him. I tried evoluzione.net but it's no longer a valid domain...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....squeekiest shoes ever on a youtube clip...it would seem that the old owner didnt know much about the bike either...although the none stock carbon mirrors are nice...and will at least have a chance of working with their extender arms...whereas the stock ones are less than poor
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the aftermarket mirrors looked a bit cheap
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...granted...but if they at least work,,,,they could save you a fortune...and we all retain the original mirrors in a silk lined draw or box under the bed anyhow........
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Wow....squeekiest shoes ever on a youtube clip...it would seem that the old owner didnt know much about the bike either...although the none stock carbon mirrors are nice...and will at least have a chance of working with their extender arms...whereas the stock ones are less than poor

True, the original owner seemed to know almost nothing about the bike. I didn't get any service records but I did get the owner's manual. Unfortunately I didn't get the original mirrors either. Perhaps they are still in a silk lined box under the seller's bed Razz
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
I always thought the aftermarket mirrors looked a bit cheap

I didn't see the OE mirror live so can't compare and will rely on your guys' expert opinions. However, these match the carbon of the front fairing and are compact enough to flow with the lines...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The originals are similar to Ducati 916 type. The prettiest aftermarket are the Japanese market ones
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...youre not missing much apart from "originality" with the stock mirrors...which are same as these and available cheap enough...although with your modern mirrors fitted the necessary brass clips that the brass pins push into and lock...are probably missing...aside from that theres just one central bolt that holds each fixed mirror...that has an adjustable glass lens...although they are generally not far enough apart and too low down so you get to see your elbows and your arse mostly.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-pair-mirrors-left-right-for-Cagiva-Mito-125-rear-50-Evo-1-2-MK1-MK2-SP525-/400159483381?hash=item5d2b5d25f5:g:rrQAAOSwm8VU1Rir

Theres also DB2 type mirrors that have no pins...and fix with 2 bolts each into the body of the mirror....but far harder to find
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Yeh...youre not missing much apart from "originality" with the stock mirrors...which are same as these and available cheap enough...although with your modern mirrors fitted the necessary brass clips that the brass pins push into and lock...are probably missing...aside from that theres just one central bolt that holds each fixed mirror...that has an adjustable glass lens...although they are generally not far enough apart and too low down so you get to see your elbows and your arse mostly.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-pair-mirrors-left-right-for-Cagiva-Mito-125-rear-50-Evo-1-2-MK1-MK2-SP525-/400159483381?hash=item5d2b5d25f5:g:rrQAAOSwm8VU1Rir

Theres also DB2 type mirrors that have no pins...and fix with 2 bolts each into the body of the mirror....but far harder to find

The ones on ebay appear to have more glass area but I am ok with the current look.

Maybe I should do what Lapchik the Mad Hungarian did in the movie Gumball Rally - he ripped off the mirrors on his Kawi KH400 Laughing
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be fooled by large glass....its just to provide an even larger view of your elbows and ass....Bimota persisted...fitting the same mirrors to DB2, DB4, Vdue, SB6, SB7, SB8 and YB11...and their pants on all of them.....and then the worst ever...DB5 mirrors...where the only view is people on the footpath on the opposite side of the road...I think they work on the premise you should be the fastest vehicle on the road hence no need for mirrors...but for myself at least...if theres blue flashing lights around I like to know if theyre behind me or elsewhere.......
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Dont be fooled by large glass....its just to provide an even larger view of your elbows and ass....Bimota persisted...fitting the same mirrors to DB2, DB4, Vdue, SB6, SB7, SB8 and YB11...and their pants on all of them.....and then the worst ever...DB5 mirrors...where the only view is people on the footpath on the opposite side of the road...I think they work on the premise you should be the fastest vehicle on the road hence no need for mirrors...but for myself at least...if theres blue flashing lights around I like to know if theyre behind me or elsewhere.......

I am with you on that one. California Highway Patrol or CHiPs are stealthy little critters that like to sneak up on you in their modestly marked cruisers. By the time you are in their sights, its usually too late...

BTW, the mirrors on my YB10 are not much better than what you just described. Instead of my ass, I get a nice view of my shoulders and elbow pads. The upside is that if I start seeing my ass in the YB10 mirrors I know its time to diet...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

I am with you on that one. California Highway Patrol or CHiPs are stealthy little critters that like to sneak up on you in their modestly marked cruisers. By the time you are in their sights, its usually too late...

BTW, the mirrors on my YB10 are not much better than what you just described. Instead of my ass, I get a nice view of my shoulders and elbow pads. The upside is that if I start seeing my ass in the YB10 mirrors I know its time to diet...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...."CHiPs...) Good Ol Erik Estrada....I suppose they dont still ride as big as and almost as slow as a bus Harleys anymore??.......Near by me is Oulton Park Racetrack...and whenever theres a bike meet on down there the Cops come out n undercover "stealth" jap bikes.....with cameras pointing front and rear and hidden blue lights....so even when you see what you think is a normal biker alongside you or behind...wow betide you if you crack the throttle.....Went out once on the DB2 and DB4 with a friend...had a biker cop follow, pull alongside...pull infront...drop back...catch up etc for over half an hour....spoilt the day a bit until I realised he just wanted to see the bikes.....didnt bother to pull either of us for small number plates, dark visers or loud pipes....and as he was interested in the bikes...copper or not...he was obviously a biker at heart........
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Ah...."CHiPs...) Good Ol Erik Estrada....I suppose they dont still ride as big as and almost as slow as a bus Harleys anymore??.......Near by me is Oulton Park Racetrack...and whenever theres a bike meet on down there the Cops come out n undercover "stealth" jap bikes.....with cameras pointing front and rear and hidden blue lights....so even when you see what you think is a normal biker alongside you or behind...wow betide you if you crack the throttle.....Went out once on the DB2 and DB4 with a friend...had a biker cop follow, pull alongside...pull infront...drop back...catch up etc for over half an hour....spoilt the day a bit until I realised he just wanted to see the bikes.....didnt bother to pull either of us for small number plates, dark visers or loud pipes....and as he was interested in the bikes...copper or not...he was obviously a biker at heart........

No more HD, its all about the R1150 RTP (P for Police). At least they finally realized that the old HD huffer aint going to take care of business like a fine tuned Euro machine. Although there some that still peref the old US iron - in many jurisdictions the cops can choose their own rides (within reason) as long as the markings are uniform with regulations.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

No more HD, its all about the R1150 RTP (P for Police). At least they finally realized that the old HD huffer aint going to take care of business like a fine tuned Euro machine. Although there some that still peref the old US iron - in many jurisdictions the cops can choose their own rides (within reason) as long as the markings are uniform with regulations.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: