Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Spondon ducati restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Spondon ducati restoration Reply with quote

New project has just arrived, I know some will want to tar and feather me for not getting a bimota, but honestly I did try to find a Bimota.

Anyway it is a spondon framed 996 engine worked on by the German firm Kamna, supposed to be 140hp and weighing 160kg. Pushing it around, it definitely feels well light.

No set plans as yet on restoration, will finish the hb2 first, then get the spondon on the bench, give it a good going over and see what I can make of her.

Weed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good find & should be a nice little project. I didn't know there was such a beast. The original Akras & all. Cool
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by Weed on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she obviously handles well judging by the full on scuffing to the tyre sidewalls.......and I'll bet you'll find lots of trick and serious goodies loaded onto that engine...."no brand" RHS magnesium casing? Lots of lock wire...front Ohlins but Rear??.....No start button did the previous owner go to the extent of removing the starter motor also?....tricky given its location....and whats the rear swingarm from? Lots of Ducati single siders but that looks too clean cut and polished to be a standard Duc item with paint stripped and polished up..PVM wheels...Mag or Carbon or ally?

Just needs a rear brake light and plate and good to go on the street.... Laughing
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims,
whoever built it originally wasnt short of a bob or two, l reckon l will find many tasty bits as l work on her. The rear shock is ohlins, the starter motor and solenoid are there, battery looks hidden under the seat, probably flat, there are two switches on the dash, am sure l will have some fun working out the electrics when l get her on the bench.

The pvm wheels are mag, the swingarm is spondon, the hub l believe is from the honda rc30.

Rear brake light and number plate sounds good Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever seen 2 of those frames before.

The first was in about 1992 at Steve Wynne's ( think thats how its spelt ) Sports motorcycles who were running it on one of there race bikes, also think they were offering 888 race replica kits for the road, I am sure there were motorcycle mag write up's on it at the time.

The second frame was at the Manchester show last year on the Ducati owners club stand where a chap had put a 900/1000ss motor in it. I am sure 2bim's must have a picture of it if you speak to him nicely !!

Anyway, VERY NICE !!!! Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to help out with a picture of another Spondon framed Duc.....but....I dont have one.....you know how the shows are Vort....busy busy busy.....and you have to remain faithful to your brand....plus I didnt like the owner of the bike that much...as he reckoned his Santa Monica Ducati was the "same" as my DB1...and well.....that just got my back up didnt it.......... Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I can do I'm afraid.....and advert from a few years ago.....and Ouch on the price back then.....and a little more confirmation that this was the last frame

http://www.raidermoto.com/spondon-ducati-996/

and another advert from August 2012

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2012/08/rare-spondon-ducati-996-for-sale/

Loads more archive stuff of one with 851/888 race fairings and endurance headlamps....Hhmmm..could that be the way to go??

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/spondon.htm
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link has a good amount of info on these frames.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/spondon.htm

The courier who delivered my spondon had another ducati spondon in the van delivered to the south of ireland that had undergone a restoration by ducati coventry. Sadly didnt get to see it as he delivered his first Sad
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will let you off with not having a picture 2bim's. Think last years show was one of the busiest we had done !! Plus you seem to have redeemed yourself with the info gathered.
Good to know the grey matter between my ear's is not failing me after 25yrs !!! The red and yellow bike is the one I recall from my visits to Steve's place.
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims,
Thanks for the top two links, ouch on the prices indeed, paid well under half, so bit of a bargain me hopes.
The seller has the earlier twin spar frame for sale if anyone is interested.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Definitely got some nice goodies on it from what I can see.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have started striping the spondon down, got the engine started, and running sweet. Oil screen is clean as a whistle as is engine, dont think this engine has had much use. What a pleasant surprise to find the engine is a 996sps motor. Me thinks the seller was unaware, he could have sold it for more, anyway l'm a happy pup.

Weed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the first set of photos Waggy. What happened to the screen? 2 of the photos show the screen intact but the last photo shows that is broken/
Beautiful bike by the way.
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Weed ,
its a trick of the light the screen is fine, though i see what you mean, what looks broken is actually the bottom outline of the screen, not the top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: