Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 inline fuel filter(s) and fuel line upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
who

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. I was surprised you lined a plastic fuel tank? Nothing sticks to poly.

I'm struggling to understand what the problem you are experiencing is?
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wrote:
Hey there. I was surprised you lined a plastic fuel tank? Nothing sticks to poly.

I'm struggling to understand what the problem you are experiencing is?

Hey. I received the bike with electrical reserve switch removed and two regular fuel petcocks, one on each side. Petcocks were crap, so much so that cheap Acerbis petcocks were a vast improvement. Furthermore, I received the bike with no fuel filter, inline or otherwise. Fuel would leak through the overflow tubes, figured that there was crud going into the carbs causing blockage. When I removed the tank and drained the fuel, there was a ton of crud in the tank. My goal was to install inline fuel filter. Jonny posted a picture of his tank with a two in one out Pingel fuel filter but I couldn't get mine to fit. I tried finding a space for the filter and took it all the way to the back of the casing. When I plumbed fuel lines to the fuel filter, the fuel line from the left petcock ends up crunching on the inline hose from the top. Part of the problem (besides that it's me working on this) is the fuel pump's inlet nozzle is turned up and pushes the inlet fuel line close to the bottom of the tank.

I'm going to try and bend the inlet nozzle on the fuel pump few degrees south so that it's more parallel with the engine block. This should bring down the fuel inlet hose and give some clearance under the fuel tank. I was also considering switching to a more compact fuel pump, again to gain some space under the tank.

I'd love to post some pics but it's very difficult to do so on this forum. My photobucket picks are blocked. So I hope I'm making at least some sense here....
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
who

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay got it, you are experiencing problems getting everything to fit. Welcome to bimota ownership!

When you talk about sock filters are you talking foam filters that go into the tank on the pet-cocks? If so I would discard them and rely on a inline filter only. This way you will be able to see any crud that is presenting in the filter. I recently purchase some mini fuel filters that are in a very clear plastic housing. Perfect for tight spaces, and seeing what is going from tank to carbs. How many mm are your fuel lines? 6mm 0r 8mm?

For photos, most people have gone to a mob called Imgur, simple to use once you work it out. I'm making sure I have a backup of everything I trust them with so if the shaft us like photobucket, at least I still have a record.

https://imgur.com/
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: YB10 in-line fuel filter Reply with quote

who, I agree that it's nice to be able to see if crud is building up in the fuel filter, but it gets hellish hot under the tank next to the motor, which might make plastic warp, or worse still fail. I cocked up the fuel line routing on my 8 and had fuel spraying over the back wheel, which made going round corners interesting Shocked

Tirefriar, I've got every sympathy, it is a bugger getting those lines routed correctly, when you can't see what the fuel tank does to them, when you lower it in on top. I must say I've not had a problem with ethanol into those tanks, although I've had plenty of grief on the 6R, albeit that is a different kind of plastic.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mine has a plastic fuel filter. Been there since I bought the bike

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel lines are 8mm. I am going with good quality (read thick) rubber fuel lines, which cuts into already precious real estate under the tank. Jonny was kind to recommend Pingel filter. I have two in one out Pingel that are one of the best filters in terms of flow and filtration. Its not a small filter. I did have the small plastic filters going into Bings on my R100GS but they were exposed and not affected by heat. I can imagine the temperatures under in the space under the tank, behind the cylinders and flanked on each side by fairings to boot. I wonder how much temperature those little filters can withstand because they would help greatly in solving the problem.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when I got my YB11 it had all sorts of running issues.
Would do about 10-15 miles , cut out and after 20 minutes do another 10-15miles.
Took ages to find the issue. First one was a collapsed cheap plastic filter , I guessed due to heat , second was exactly as previously described , the fuel lines kinked under the tank when you fitted it down but looked fine when you lifted tank !!, third was a sticking float valve.
To get around the collapsed fuel line issue I fitted a quick release connection. So no excess pipe under tank. Short lines, fit tank , make quick release connection , not had any issue since.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vort, I have installed a BMW metal quick release connector. Bought two different styles - straight and 90*. Maybe if I went with small individual filters and then had the lines come into a Y connector...

Any thoughts or comments on this filter:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=81-0221
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any negative in wrapping the plastic fuel filters in heat resistant material?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uses up a bit more space.

The plastic filters on mine are not insulated

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katy. Will give it a go.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
MrF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewing this thread because I was just revisiting my installation and for the first time in too many years I now have a working electrical reserve tap. No more fuel anxeity between widely spaced junctions!

But back to point, I've had a plastic filter sat under the spar near there too for the past 15 years. My only self immoliation incident was involving the reserve tap when it went bad internally and tried to set fire to that area.
I'm going to feed both taps into a common tee of sufficient bore, then feed them through a single large fuel filter in the same place. Then I only have one line to add the fuel break into/ reconnect while balancing the tank trying not to knock the reserve solenoid.
Then all that is left is to somehow remember to put the tap to "on" when refitting it, and I'll be sorted.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Did you manage to source a new electrically operated fuel tap?

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Hi

Did you manage to source a new electrically operated fuel tap?

All the best

Katy

If you are asking me, then no I didn't. However, I am going with two plastic cone filters similar to what I had on my R100GS. I have been a bit busy looking at another set of wheels but will try to knock it out before end of December. As you can see, I am not exactly greased lighting when it comes on wrenching. I guess I am more about riding, because I have to be in the mood to wrench but I am always in the mood to ride...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
MrF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither, I think its a moto magnetti solenoid and plunger assembly but I've never found a source of new.
However a year or two back I got hold of what I thought was a secondhand YB8 tank and it had the solenoid tap on it, so I soldered and heatstrinked new connections and thats what got fitted to my bike recently.
The tank itself has the bobbins in the wrong place for a yb8 though, might be yb4 or similar. Still pondering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: