Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Doubts on Sb4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinenarockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Doubts on Sb4 Reply with quote

A friend of mine has found a SB4s on a garaje for sale. The bike has not been riden for around 10 years says the seller.
My friend took some pistures to send me but for some reason only stored 3 pics on his mobile.
Nexte week I'll see the bike in person but the pics I received made me wonder...
First picture is of the fairing, wich has been taken apart -> confirmed they are sb4s fairings.
Second pics is of hte motor, which is almost chrome colour while my SB4 motor is totally black coated.
Third pic is of the speedo, and once again it is not the smae gauge/speedo as the SB4 I own.
Is this an orginal SB4 or has engine and speedo been changed?

Here are the pics:

[img]

[img][/img][img][/img]
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be this was sold as a kit (I'm not sure which models were kit bikes) which might account for the clocks and enhine colour, wasn't the GSX1100 a silver engine ???
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
It could be this was sold as a kit (I'm not sure which models were kit bikes) which might account for the clocks and enhine colour, wasn't the GSX1100 a silver engine ???

GSX1100 was silver motor untill mid 1983's GSX1100ED. Gauges are definitely GSX1100ET/GSX1100EX, putting it at a pre July 1982 donor.
My understanding was that an awful lot of the SB4s/HB3s/KB3s were kit bikes.
sinenarockandroll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance to know if it is a kit bike or original from Bimota factory with the Bin/Chassis number?

Seller wants 10.000€ for the bike. If it is complete it might sounds reasonable for me. But it scares me it has not been started for such long time.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike that's stood for that long is always going to be an unknown, go there and judge it with your own eyes
bimotanige

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the silver engine and is the original motor for the frame. Clocks are different to my clocks. Engines are bullet proof and done little work usually. I usually do a full service, run it for a while then see where it leaks as the gaskets will have dried out- usually sump and crankcase seal. Rebuild during following winter in the man cave. I rebuilt my SB from scratch except engine so pm if you want pics to check. See Practical Sportbike magazine from a couple of years ago. 10k not a bad price as these will go up in value over the next couple of years
sinenarockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally wnet to see the bike this morning, although I was a bit on a hurry. Bike looks in a clean original condition. The only thing missing is the "foam" that used to be inside the fuel tank. Still has the original airfilter box while mine had it changed for K&N cone filters.

Something else that misleads me is the exhaust. It is only on the left side, looks like a 4-1. I've seen on the Internet some pics of SB4 with the same exhaust only on the left side, but not on a S version like this one. The exhaust itself also looks original, it is the same black one as I have on my Bimo but only on one side instaed ob both sides.
sinenarockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally wnet to see the bike this morning, although I was a bit on a hurry. Bike looks in a clean original condition. The only thing missing is the "foam" that used to be inside the fuel tank. Still has the original airfilter box while mine had it changed for K&N cone filters.

Something else that misleads me is the exhaust. It is only on the left side, looks like a 4-1. I've seen on the Internet some pics of SB4 with the same exhaust only on the left side, but not on a S version like this one. The exhaust itself also looks original, it is the same black one as I have on my Bimo but only on one side instaed ob both sides.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Bimota didn't have the twin pipe in stock or decided the it was a "better" design so sent it out / built the bike using it, not something that would worry me as long as it's still there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: