Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Too much oil
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Too much oil Reply with quote

Hi,

today i rode my db5. i bought it last year preowned. well, i noticed today that there was 1 litre too much oil in the engine!

after ride i noticed some smell and saw hat the engine is sweating a little. then i checked oil level and it was too much. i pumped out the oil and it was 1 litre too much!!!

it has been riden that way at least 500 kilometres.

well not very pleasant...and yes i should have checked right away

how much oil is in there usually in total?

why is it sweaing oil, what could have happened? the oil i pumped out of the engine did look fine, no metallic stuff or anything.

cheers, robert
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the oil smell of fuel? 2 possibilities... it was overfilled when the oil was originally added or, the oil has been diluted with fuel.

If it were me, I would change the oil, making sure that the correct amount of oil is added and then monitor the oil level over the next few hundred klm's.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Does the oil smell of fuel? 2 possibilities... it was overfilled when the oil was originally added or, the oil has been diluted with fuel.

If it were me, I would change the oil, making sure that the correct amount of oil is added and then monitor the oil level over the next few hundred klm's.

I just had a deep breath... hmm i wouild not say that it smells of fuel, at least not that you would say immediately :" wow that stinks like fuel" i compared it to fresh oil. i would say it is a little different, fresh oil does not smell a lot. the used oil does smell, yes but not very "fuel-like". maybe a little bit. hard to say.

i guess if there would be 500ml to 1 litre fuel in, i would smell that immideatly?

is it possibe that the oil coming off was blown out of the crank breather and than just dropped down the engine?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

I just had a deep breath... hmm i wouild not say that it smells of fuel, at least not that you would say immediately :" wow that stinks like fuel" i compared it to fresh oil. i would say it is a little different, fresh oil does not smell a lot. the used oil does smell, yes but not very "fuel-like". maybe a little bit. hard to say.

i guess if there would be 500ml to 1 litre fuel in, i would smell that immideatly?

is it possibe that the oil coming off was blown out of the crank breather and than just dropped down the engine?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to stick the bike on a rear stand and check level when engine is cold...should be between the 2 lines...Previous owner may have accidentally overfilled it...or if he knew the bike was going to be laid up for a few months/years...he may have filled up the gearbox/sump over the fill line to cover bearings/seals, that is recommended when laying a bike up
Crankcase breather should fit into back of airbox under tank...and if it was coming through there you wouldnt notice it due to the size and design of the airbox.....best to wipe off engine and take for a run then check where its showing oil.....the covers on the sides of the cylinder heads up top...side covers not valve covers...are known to blow their seals from time to seal, rubber O ring...Ducati factory fix is to gasket seal up the cover....
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me on a pic, which parts you mean exactly ?

Oil came more from the right side .
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really....you need to clean up the oil and run it on the road to put the engine under load and then see where oil is present.....theres lots of places on a Duc engine it could be coming from....dry clutch DB5 or wet clutch?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet clutch

I had no clutch slipping btw
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you can rule out the seal behind the clutch basket on a dry clutch bike then...I can imagine that maybe the 2.5cm black rubber hose at the back of the engine RHS may have taken a large filling of Oil if the gearbox was full of oil...this is the crankcase breather and outlet tube that runs to the airbox....if Oil has run up all the way to the airbox I would suggest removing the tank and cleaning it out....as it would run into the inlets otherwise
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's what I suspect to , I also noticed that the iron ring of that hose was not super thight ... I did it tighter now .

But in case the oil runs from the air is back in the engine... I guess worst thing to happen is that it gets burned ?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys,

i just had a ride 100km with some stops to look.

it is still leaking

possibility 1:the oil seems to come from the hose upwards or from the connection to the engine.

i mean from there, pls see photo:

than its collecting in that small sink and from there its running down the right side.

possibility 2 is the small hole right next to it: (but i do not know what thats even for?

ok so in case it is possibility 1. .. what to do next? it can either be the hose itself, the hose clamp, or down there the connection to the engine. how can i loosen that connection? is it sealed with an O Ring? or what gasket do i need?

pS: its not a lot of oil but its something...

but why is there even oil? is it now swapping back from the airbox and airfilter? but if som shouldnt it run right into the engine? why is it leaking at this point? i mean now the oil level is fine.

if i check for the airbox, whats the best way to clean the filter? just with water?

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
tenchu2x

ok guys,

it is still leaking

possibility 1:the oil seems to come from the hose upwards or from the connection to the engine.

than its collecting in that small sink and from there its running down the right side.

possibility 2 is the small hole right next to it: (but i do not know what thats even for?

ok so in case it is possibility 1. .. what to do next? it can either be the hose itself, the hose clamp, or down there the connection to the engine. how can i loosen that connection? is it sealed with an O Ring? or what gasket do i need?

but why is there even oil? is it now swapping back from the airbox and airfilter? but if som shouldnt it run right into the engine? why is it leaking at this point? i mean now the oil level is fine.

if i check for the airbox, whats the best way to clean the filter? just with water?

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
tenchu2x

ok guys,

it is still leaking

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
tenchu2x

ok guys,

it is still leaking

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
tenchu2x

ok guys,

it is still leaking

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: