Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Too much oil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys,

i just had a ride 100km with some stops to look.

it is still leaking

possibility 1:the oil seems to come from the hose upwards or from the connection to the engine.

i mean from there, pls see photo:

than its collecting in that small sink and from there its running down the right side.

possibility 2 is the small hole right next to it: (but i do not know what thats even for?

ok so in case it is possibility 1. .. what to do next? it can either be the hose itself, the hose clamp, or down there the connection to the engine. how can i loosen that connection? is it sealed with an O Ring? or what gasket do i need?

pS: its not a lot of oil but its something...

but why is there even oil? is it now swapping back from the airbox and airfilter? but if som shouldnt it run right into the engine? why is it leaking at this point? i mean now the oil level is fine.

if i check for the airbox, whats the best way to clean the filter? just with water?

thx guys,

Cheers,

Robert
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a diaphragm flap valve beneath the hose in the shiney metal fitting...so that the engine can get under pressure and release gases...or oil if over filled....its one way so any oil that has gone past it wont go back....you can release the jubilee clip and take off and clean off any oil thats still there.....the air filter though is at the front end of the airbox down low behind the front headstock...any oil that has come through the breather pipe into the air box probably wont make it to the air filter as there is a big hole in the bottom of the air box first for the air intakes into the engine......Please dont clean with water though...if theres oil on the filter it wont mix well.....you can use air filter cleaner like from a K&N air filter kit
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this thread you can see the airbox on a DB5.....engine gases come in at back left rubber hose.....air filter up front down low.....filter can be removed after removing tank and the inspection cover...4 small allen screws.....
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Theres a diaphragm flap valve beneath the hose in the shiney metal fitting...so that the engine can get under pressure and release gases...or oil if over filled....its one way so any oil that has gone past it wont go back....you can release the jubilee clip and take off and clean off any oil thats still there.....the air filter though is at the front end of the airbox down low behind the front headstock...any oil that has come through the breather pipe into the air box probably wont make it to the air filter as there is a big hole in the bottom of the air box first for the air intakes into the engine......Please dont clean with water though...if theres oil on the filter it wont mix well.....you can use air filter cleaner like from a K&N air filter kit

What do you mean with "jubilee"clip?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as images below for Jubilee clip

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jubilee+clip&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0h--qveHLAhWBvhQKHdlLA04Q_AUIBygC
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
as images below for Jubilee clip

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jubilee+clip&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0h--qveHLAhWBvhQKHdlLA04Q_AUIBygC

Ah ok got it , but how will it help me if I remove the hose ? I will have to remove the crank breather ? I mean how else should I get there to even look into it ?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i removed the tank. the airbox and the filter iscclean as Hell. pls look at the photos

[

does it make sense to go any further on this route? does it make sense to remove the airbox?
the hose is going in in the lower part of the box, does it make sense to examine?
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be sure to stick the bike on a rear stand and check level when engine is cold...should be between the 2 lines...Previous owner may have accidentally overfilled it

too true.. this is how my DB2 was delivered fresh from a service. You have to allow oil to drain down in the engine before checking sight level.(because you've been running engine or just poured new oil in). Its too easy to be impatient and fill to 'correct' level and then when oil drains down it will be overfilled.

Need to suck some back out of mine before I fire it up!

tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw what is the part number of the whole complete oil breather unit? is this correct:

506106020 oil breather tank

as far as i can see from part lsit this is complete unit.

how can i unscrew this? what tool do i need?
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as your airbox is spotless I think you can be assured in the fact that any escaping engine oil didnt make it into the airbox......and thus not worry....Simply removing the hose from the bottom end and emptying/allowing any residual oil to drip out over night would be more than sufficient. The item below the hose is hexagonal shaped for a spanner..but access is the issue....frame and exhaust headers in the way...its definitely an item fitted to the engine before the engine is fitted into the frame....I'd just unconnect the hose and allow that to drain itself of anything in it and leave the other part as is....theres evidently not been a problem so far with the oil being overfilled...so best to forget and move on....Bimotas will give you problems...but you dont have to go out of your way to try and find ones that arent a problem.......
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the oil is still leaking up there from the oil breather . Even if it is not so much .

So I will have to change it. What tool is needed for that ?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now have the crankshaft breather covered in threebond from the outside. i know that works in generel because i already did that onvcew on the clutch cover of my MV f4 from the outside as i was too lazy to do it properly.

had a quick ride and there does mot seem to be more leaking, but i have to test longer to know for sure...keep you updated
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh that should work...3-bond is oil resistant.....the oil would only be a visual problem if slight leak...it wouldnt cause any other issues...just check the oil level remains above minimum....and not above maximum....it does require the bike to be upright and not on its sidestand...and cooled down after a ride as it takes a while for the oil to run down from the heads to check the level properly
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a 100km ride yesterday and still no leak , so i hope all is fine now!

thx!
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff....and probably will be fine now...The new 2 valve engines dont use much Oil...and unless theres a leak you dont need to top up between services...so you should be fine now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: