Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Just sold my R100 GS. What's next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no Cagiva. Ran into a snag with shipping. My go-to shipper is tied up on the east coast. The u-ship.com is not working out as well as I hoped. Now the seller is out of town until August 24. Just as well as we are hitting our local hot spell with temperatures averaging over a 100*F on daily basis.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
Wtf Question

It's probably a phishing e-mail - don't click any of the links
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully all deleted off the Forum this morning...took me ruddy ages......
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even realize these are links. Good save, EC! Thanks for the valiant effort 2bims
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold my SB8R. The new owner showed up with riding gear and rode off into the sunset... Well, actually he took her straight into the canyons. He texted me that the bike is impressive and I am glad to hear it. He is definitely over 6' tall and fit so much better on that bike than I did. He is also an enthusiast as well as an expert in the TLR engines. He sounds like he is planning to hold onto her for a while. A very nice person and I couldn't think of a better owner for the SB8R.

So, back to the same question that started this thread. I did get my Cagiva Alazzurra but its on the chopping block already. The new mark is the Aprilia Tuono, most likely the second generation. I have not ridden a Tuono yet, and hope I will not be disappointed. The Tuono will be my daily rider which will give my Boxer Cup a break. Wifey was not keen on the idea of me getting another ride but I think I got that handled.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not the tuono, is there a moto guzzi on the list?
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yb11reno wrote:
If not the tuono, is there a moto guzzi on the list?

Few years ago I briefly considered a California Vintage. Such a pretty bike in black ith white accents. Alas, the one I was originally interested in was sold before I even had a chance to look at.

The choice fell on Aprilia Tuono Gen2 because it combines performance performance and reliability in one great looking package at a very reasonable price. I love Ambos for their cool factor but I wouldn't ride one often enough to justify the acquisition. Maybe few more years down the line...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still on the lookout for the Tuono. Stopped by an Ape dealer last week and checked out the new Tuono. Found it to be just a beatiful well crafted machine which is quite tall for my 32 inseam. The manager informed me that Gen 2 bikes in stock guise are taller still by an 1". He suggested a lowering kit or looking at Gen1 which has a bit lower seating.

I did find a very good example of an 04 Tuono Factory, but the bike is over 400 miles away from me plus its up there on the price. At the asking price for this first gen Tuono, I can find the next generation Factory.

Meanwhile, a friend sent me a link on a silver Monster S2R 1000. There isn't a great deal to choose from on the large cube air cooled Mosters either but a few do pop up.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking about an earlier monster, look at an S4RS. I had one, it was an absolute hoot (unintentional wheelies). Just be aware pre 2003 had steel tanks. 2003 and later had plastic tanks prone to swelling from the ethanol gas.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, thanks for the heads up on the tank. My thoughts behind the S2R was simplucity of air cooled twin vs liquid cooled engine. There's also a not so insignificant price difference. The S2R typically run around $4-5k, the S4R has a $2-3k premium. I'm intending for this to be a daily rider, and though I agree that S4R is a better bike, I can't really justify plucking that much more for it. By the way, I heard a lot of good things about the twin in an S2R, especially in terms of reliability. Does this hold true for the liquid 4?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend is selling his 2002 monster 900 i.e. For $3500. Last owner added Penske shock on back. Recent belts, good tires.
As far as reliability of the 4 valve monster. I've owned 95 900 ss/sp, 2005 1000 DS, 2007 S4RS, 2011 multistrada and 2 ST4S ducs. The S4RS had the least problems of any except for the ST4S that I bought with 1700 miles.
Did you notice the guy has your SB8R up for sale already?

Jack
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw my bike up on eBay. Received a bunch of emails from people who know me and that bike. I guess he found another bike he really wanted, at least that's what his ad said.

I've been looking for Apes, the good ones all come up on the wrong side of the continent. Haven't had much luck in finding a Duc I like either. The S4SR are up there in terms of $$. Not looking to spend a boatload of cash, nor am I looking for a pedestrian model. Generation 2 Aprilia Factory is the ticket.

I don't know much about the 900i.e. Is this the engine that called for frequent valve adjustments?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no luck in finding the right Tuono V2 and nothing in the Ducati camp, I ended up making a deal on the 2013 MV Brutale 1099RR. Bike is on the East coast, from an MV collector who made me a deal I couldn't pass up. Of course, there are reasons for the low price - namely the East coast is one big icicle right now and no one is really out there riding in the freezing cold with bunch of salt on the roads which means that not many motorcycles change hands in that part of the US. Which leads to the downside - although I made a deal and received title in December, I still don't have the bike and will most likely not see it until first weeks of February. My original shipper had a problem with his trailer and now is battling his insurance company. The two shippers I usually use do not go that far out preferring to operate between mid-west and the west coast.

Anyhow, I am still very excited. Was very leary about buying an MV, my friend's F4 was constantly in the shop for repairs. However, his bike was an older model and the newer ones sound to be quite reliable....
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, after a two month wait, the Brutale has landed at my front door. It was definitely worth the wait. This bike has it all, great looks, impressive handling and acceleration that befits the model name. Took her on my first spin this past Sunday:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNxvEVGIxe_iJf76KdejyV48SI48kZT-8xi-_AP

I hope, for my sake, this will take me off the market for the years to come. I think the garage is nicely stocked, now to concentrate on the farkles...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theme of this thread is that I never know what additions or deletions are coming way of my small collection. Just for the record, with the arrival of the Burtale, I decided to stop perusing FOR SALE ads and keep things the way they are. With Dieci once again a runner, Brutale an upright and the BMW R11S Boxer Cup a sport touring I think I have all I need to enjoy the 2 wheel passion, at least for now.

In particular, the 2004 BMW R11S Boxer Cup Replika has been the longest member of the stable out of the rest. At times I have wondered what is it about this bike that makes me want to hang on to it. It weighs around 500lbd, adding my fat ass it becomes a 750 heifer with 98 hp boxer motor. Every time I am close to making a decision to sell it, I take a ride and...scrap the plans of cutting it loose. Its stable, forgiving, handles surprisingly well. Its known as a bike that does nothing great but everything well.

While the R11S is a fairly common bike, the Boxer Cup version had only 700 examples produced during the entire model run (MY 2003-2005). 2004 was the "mass production" year for the Cup, with 300 units produced. Some were tracked and whacked, some were parked and are sitting in collections in hopes of massive appreciation and a few get ridden, like mine. Where am I going with this? Well, few weeks ago I received a call from my long time friend who happens to also have a 2005 Boxer Cup. His bike is in the wrapper, with just around 3500 miles, compared to over 19k on mine. Being a very private person that he is, he wanted to avoid advertising the bike and having to show it. Instead, he offered me a shot at his bike. I wasted no time to accept his kind offer. The picture below is how the bikes appeared about a year ago at the Rockstore, and nothing has really changed for either one of them since then. My friend's bike is on the left...

My bike has higher mileage, but it also has ABS brakes, heated grips and is set up for BMW hard cases which I have never used since I owned the BCR. The new to me BCR doesn't have any of that but it does sport a full Remus exhaust system and low miles. So what's next? I don't need TWO Boxer Cups, and as nice and rare as they are, my original bike will need to go. Sad as it may be, I am keeping a Boxer Cup in my garage albeit one with 1/6th the mileage.

BTW, special thanks to Steve (2Bims) for his detailed and thorough instructions on posting pictures on the forum. I guess you can give a man a fish and keep him fed for a day or you can teach him how to fish and keep him fed for the lifetime...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: