Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Just sold my R100 GS. What's next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That there sure is a lot of bling... Great looking bike

Steve, you are spot on. I would be naive to think that it oWould handle anywhere close to MV. It weighs in in the upper 400s lbs. it's really a bike you can daily ride, enjoy it's pluses and realize that for the amount of scratch it cost you those negatives can be forgiven and mostly ignored. I could leave it parked in the street and not worry about the heat and if something was going to happen, well I can always get a replacement - it's definitely no Bimota.

if I would resume street riding on daily or even semi daily basis, I would most likely end up with Eddie Lawson green. Never had a green bike.... Riding on the streets in So Cal especially in traffic sucks big time. People are ignorant as all heck and nobody, I mean nobody will take the responsibility if they are at fault.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike was quite sparse on Bolt on bling....I put some pro-bolt tapered head allen bolts on the crankcase cover...and it had a Motech SS chain guard...and chrome engine bars...but the rest of the bling was pure stock kawasaki items....all the alloy parts are painted silver...and it had all been stripped and polish...swinging arm...everyone though it was a Metmachex with its eccentric adjusters...fork legs...rear grab handles...Rad covers....Reservoir pot covers...etc etc....Previous owner had put a Scorpion titanium pipe on it...and a belly pan and neatly fitted undertray and rear hugger and colour matched them in...and wheels likewise are alloy polished rims and painted yellow spokes.

Certainly an everyday bike...never had an issue with it...cranks like a beastie on starter motor...fuel on, reserve and a prime if its been sat for a while...and a choke...and fuel gauge....most practical...wide as a bus but cracks a fair lick it has to said.....I'd buy it back if he lets it go...although he'd probably want more for it than he paid as prices have crept up 50-100% since I sold it...its become a "classic" in the UK...Green ones will cost more....Big Bird was the nickname for the Bike...Mighty and Yellow....me girlie rode it most...I have few pictures of it as it was "just" a runner in my eyes...an everyday hack but pleasureable in an old skool biking way
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefrier, I think I've said it before, I've got similar tastes in bikes as you. - and similar tendancy to not own them very long. I had an R1100S and a Ducati ST4S monster in the past. I did a couple of 600 mile days on the R1100S, my shoulders were really sore at the end of the day. I did an 800 mile day on the monster and felt fine. I was shocked. So I find the naked sport bikes to be fine for distance riding. I also had a Harley v-rod which I did a couple of long days on. Maybe it's just my anatomy, I couldn't wait to get off that thing. I sold it soon after.

Jack
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, the ergos of the r11s can be changed with bar risers and seat modifications. One beemer I had issues with weight on the wrists was the R1150 Rockster. Rode the Boxer Cup yesterday to Marina del Rey via old Topanga Road and PCH. What can I say, it does well in either environment and steady as a rock in the twisties.

MV has discontinued making B4 models, currently only B3 models available for sale. The factory is speaking about bringing back the model in the future but at a much more premium price point. Overall, MV is a bit disappointing as a brand on the US market, particularly with parts availability being a crap shoot. I was mulling over the idea of putting up the Brutale for sale and setting off on a search for the second generation Tuono Factory. I saw a 2nd gen RSV-R Factory yesterday and loved the way that bike looked. Had it been a Tuono, I might have had a lot of 'splainin' to do of why theres a new bike in the garage...

Steve, the prices for the ZRX have firmed up but still plenty out there keeping them still reasonable. If you ever come over stateside, I will be more than happy in helping you find a nice clean one.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a call from a friend who's been my MV mentor. He knows about my flip flopping on the Brutale and initially offered it to someone he knows. My friend then decided he might be interested in the Brutale himself. He has a 910S with fueling mapped to each cylinder and Arrow exhaust he might either sell off to buy my bike or throw the 910S and cash into the deal.

Of course, option 2 is to sell the 1090RR outright and go off looking for the Tuono Factory V2. Nothing but rave reviews about the Ape, so tempting.... I haven't ridden one yet, so perhaps a test ride should be in order before pulling the trigger.

Have been keeping an eye on the MV forum and what really makes me nervous are complaints of lack of steady parts supply and dealer support. The Brutale 1090 are pretty reliable bikes but the MV dealer network in the States leaves something to be desired of. Aprilia is only slightly better but it appears to be a more stable entity compared to MV being led by Castiglione and the gang.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several weeks ago I took the Brutale to Dave Moss suspension clinic and he dialed in the bike with my fat ass on it. Man is a genius, transformed the feel of the bike in about 10 minutes. Best $50 spent... So now that Brutale is handling like a wet dream, I scrapped the plans to sell it.

However, its the new to me Boxer Cup that ended up on the chopping block. I love the Cup and have always had at least one Beemer in the garage. With the Brutale getting bulk of riding time, the Cup is just sitting in the garage gathering dust and taking up some real estate.

Unfortunately for me the US market on the R11S is very soft at the moment and the receding tide is also impacting all variations of R11S, including the limited production Boxer Cup Replikas. The good news is that the R12S has become more reasonable and the HP2S are now starting to pop up in my price range. Nevertheless, my ideal replacement for the BCR would be a second generation Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory.

I always jonesed for an Ape, previously looking around for a Tuono but nothing nice was popping up on the radar at that time (about a year ago), but a Brutale 1090RR did. I don't need 2 upright rides, hence the RSV. If all else fails, Honda RC51 or a ZRX1200 would be back up options. Luckily, there are plenty of clean ones around.

I know that I will end up kicking myself in the a$$ in the future for letting go of the Boxer Cup but the urge for the Ape is strong...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes letting go of something, no matter how much you like it, brings new good times you never knew were out there.... " one door closes, another one opens"
ChaseMac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right, Jack. That's sometimes hard to realize when you're in the moment, but looking at similar events from the past always reaffirms this, for me at least.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you, especially on the part of closing and opening doors... Today I received an email from a collector interested in the Boxer Cup. Later on in the day I was offered an Aprilia RSV 1000 R....hmmmm

Neither deal has materialized and I will not pursue the Ape until the Cup is residing in new garage.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, just in case anyone is remotely interested in my ongoing ramblings.... The Boxer Cup deal is still up in the air, however the Aprilia turned out to be an RSV Mille. My bad, I didn't read the fine print but the seller was very kind to point that out. I know that the last year of the RSV Mille perhaps its best but I am still after the second gen.

I commandeered my friend's oder Gixxer 750, 2002 I think... Excellent power for the track and handling but a part of me was missing my 2002 ZX6R. Before riding the Gixxer, I was contemplating to replace the ZX6R with something larger, like a 750 Zuk that I rode today. ZX6R is a smaller bike and does better on a shorter, more technical track. I also like the smaller engine as it keeps make me work through the gears. I am still planning to sell the ZX6R but now the plans are to go with the 600 either Honda or Yammie.

Here is a pic from April, I on the green machine...
http://www.caliphotography.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=73801#image=10517682
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boxer Cup deal came together yesterday and today is the first day that I've been without a Beemer in my garage since 2011. I was sad to see it go but as that door closes, new ones open. I am back in the hunt. Potential targets are:
1 - Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory
2 - Honda RC51
3 - Ducati 916/996/998/999 -
4 - Another Beemer, this time either an R1200RS,S1000XR or an older GS - either one a distant fourth...

GeeKay got a Benelli... darn had to move that one off my list then
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept thinking about if I would really want an R12S or just go all out and get an HP2S... There is a price difference of about double - clean R12S can be now had for around $6-$7k with low miles, sport pack and in black. HP2S with mileage in teens are around $12-14k.

There is a 2009 Aprilia RSV R Factory in beautiful shape (at least in the photos). Its only $7500 but its about 400 miles away and I am being too lazy about going up to see it...

While it rains, former owner of my Brutale has an F4 1078 312 for sale with 1400 miles... darn, I have a love/hate relationship with no mileage older bikes in that I love to buy them but then hate myself for racking up miles on them. Not sure what he is asking for it but its in the low teens.

Any of these bikes are of course more for weekend run through the canyons on weekend mornings, the rest of the time it would be serving "eye candy duty" in my garage...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for the HP2S. I can tell that's really the one you want. "You only live once"
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I think you may be right. HP2S is an awesome bike, looks better in person than in the photos.

However, it will take longer to find the "right" HP2S than say an Aprilia. Most that pop up are sub 4k mile bikes that people want a premium for. I would be heading in a different direction - bit higher mileage, so I don't cringe with every odometer click, but a detailed service history and of course more reasonable price point.

The F4 is available but too few miles to make it subject to California registration. California has gotten very tough on out of state motorcycle registration. Of course, its the local dealers protecting their territory. Right now, as the winter is around the corner, East coast is offering crazy deals on bikes...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back through the thread and realized that I have posted only one picture of the bike(s). I will try to rectify this terrible omission by posting a picture of the bike that got me started on this thread, a 1990 BMW R100GS:

I will go back and find pictures of the bikes to recreate chronological order after the GS.
2004 BMW R11S BCR

Last edited by Tirefriar on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: