Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Just sold my R100 GS. What's next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morebhp

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice - Say hi to my brother Mike if you ever take either of them to BMW of Ventura.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your added bonus.....is that you can now accept emailed photos from other people and post them up whilst the rest of the dinosaurs get on board with posting piccies Laughing
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morebhp wrote:
Very nice - Say hi to my brother Mike if you ever take either of them to BMW of Ventura.

I will definitely do that if and when next time at Ventura BMW. I am only keeping one, the lower mileage of course.

Be sure to drop a line next time you are in Cali
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time on the Brutale 1090RR. Just like the name of the model, bike is a beast but in a good sense of the word. Very nimble, great handling. Previous owner had Dunlops installed, can't recall the model now but my choice would be Michelin Pilot 4 tires. Have them on my "old" Boxer Cup replica and they are great. BTW, riding the Beemer with after the Brutale, I found the Boxer to be a bit more solid - how can that be? Maybe because I am so used to it, had it for 5 years which is longer than any other bike in my possession.

This is sort of important to me because I am planning a ride up to Laguna Seca for the Superbike race on june 22nd. Its a 300 mile ride one way, need to be sure which bike would fit better. The MV has zero wind protection so buffeting will be an issue. I never paid much attention to that but on a 300+ miles trip that may become somewhat of an issue.

In keeping with the title of this thread, what's next.... Well, there is a 2004 Aprilia RSV Factory thats up for sale in my neck of the woods. Its very clean. Two thing are sort of holding me back: limited garage space and that it will be another 3/4 bike. That V2 Rotax is just such a great motor... very, very tempting.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a 3/4 bike?......is that 3 quarters as in it doesnt do everything?...Is buffeting an issue at 55mph max? Or is your state a bit more liberal and what in truth does that mean for bikers???....DB6 needs a damper on motorway journeys ...I have one on mine...previous DB6 I owned didn't and on windy days it moved around on the front...DB5 by comparison...same engine/chassis doesnt have a damper and doesnt need one...DB6 is happy cruising at 80-85mph though.....and seated in the bike position means you dont get blown off the bike...wouldn't like to be doing 100mph+ though on it....whereas DB5 is coming into its own at those speeds
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/4 meaning you are in a crouch position. I don't ride 55, my average speed on a bike is 80mph. Yeah, at 80mph you can feel it on the Brutale but not as much on the R11S.

BTW, highway speeds in California are no more than 75 mph, generally posted. Majority of freeways are limited to 65 mph but the cops here take into account the overall speed of the traffic and road conditions. If its a clear day, no rain or overcast and the traffic is cooking at 75 mph+, then the cops will be more flexible. If you are splitting lanes at 90 mph+ and weaving in and out of lanes, then the cops will want to find out "where is the fire"....

The roster of my group for the trip is a BMW K12R, GS, Monster (higher capacity, I haven't seen the bike) and a Cagiva Elefant 900.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers....and well I live and learn....general consensus "outside of USA"....at least for myself...was that everywhere was limited to 55mph max.....so 75 is good....we still have a max of 70mph posted up everywhere....and the installation of more and more "average speed" cameras on our main highways....silent and inexpensive policing revenue earner...Not heard the 3/4 thing before......I have 3 that aren't...as in handlebar fitment all the rest are clip-ons....with varyingly less levels of comfort
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic cams are usually used in a high density traffic areas. Usually there aren't any speed cams on freeways or highways, at least not in So Cal or that I am aware of.

Well, the choice of what to ride to Laguna has been made for me when a prior R11S owner threw cash at me last Saturday - will need to change the number to 245 in my signature. As of yet, I have no intention of racking up the miles on #243, so Brutale it is. Supposedly, there will be a number of owners riding their precious little MVs to support the MV team and fill the parking areas in front of the MV Lounge. I won't be a part of that "inner circle" as I did not purchase passes to the Lounge, hence less obligations for me to worry about.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aprilia RSV Factory sold just before I signed over the pink slip of my #193 Boxer Cup to a new and a very excited new owner. As the buyer was counting of cash, I was already thinking "what's next"... I and hoping it would be a Tuono Factory V2. The first generation of the Tuono Factory is enjoying some resurgence in the market place, but a very decent example can still be had for around $4k. Personally, I like the second generation in red and then blue... Would love to test ride either one, but no one I know has one so the only way to test it out is to buy one.

Like to ride the Aprilia and MV "back to back" and eventually make a choice which to retain...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty similar to Bimotas....if you ever want to ride one....generally you have to buy it first.....every one of my bims has been that way...the only one I bought in the UK had been sat unloved and untouched for 8 years...so was in no fit state to ride let alone start...come to think of it...I didn't even throw my leg over it to test for size and fit before pushing it into the back of the van up a scaffold plank.....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty similar to Bimotas....if you ever want to ride one....generally you have to buy it first.....every one of my bims has been that way...the only one I bought in the UK had been sat unloved and untouched for 8 years...so was in no fit state to ride let alone start...come to think of it...I didn't even throw my leg over it to test for size and fit before pushing it into the back of the van up a scaffold plank.....
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, thats the only way to get a ride on a Bimota. I never even seen a YB10 "live" until mine arrived from Bimota Spirit. I did see the SB8R before buying it, but didn't test ride it. Thats just the nature of the beast. I guess when it comes to Bimota, you feel lucky just to have an opportunity to buy one Cool
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did 600+ mile round trip to Laguna Seca for the Superbike race on the Brutale 1090RR. Came back with new thoughts in my head swirling around:

1) Brutale is a great bike. Light, torquey, handles like a scalpel. What not to like? I don't know but I am still sort of on the fence with it. Maybe I need to think about customizing it? Seems that everyone I know, with exception of Reparto Corsa models, love to customize their MVs...

2) BCR #245 is an exceptional bike...with such low miles that I think twice about riding it. Its wrong, I know but... A local acquaintance, who happens to deal in exotic and classic bikes hinted that if I ever wanted to sell.. or trade...

3) The force with ZRX1200 is strong, but I cut back on daily riding due to crappy roads occupied by crappy drivers. I have plenty to ride on the weekends but man, I do want a ZRX in ELR colors.

4) Aprilia Tuono 2nd gen in red or blue is still up there and so is the RC51... Too bad I am capped at 4 bikes...

5) But, I can squeeze in a project bike... Nothing too complex or exotic. Just something to wrench on for few hours on the weekends...

I peruse Craigslist and cycletrader.com on constant basis...its a friggin' disease...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo….I spy a chance for "The return of Big Bird...."

Yup....couple of years ago...I let Big Bird go free from the stable....which did give room for 2 slim Bims in the garage...and I sort of strangely want her back.....I sold her to a friend who lives about a mile away...My local MOT garage owner man....of all my bikes...its the only one he would throw a leg over and ride onto the brake test machine...and I still have first dibs on it should he ever sell...although it now resides in his kitchen and his Mrs is quite taken with it...

I would say though...ZRX1100 or the Hhmm...more visually challenged ZRX1200 at least IMHO.....is No Mv Agusta...and certainly NO Bimota....Sure...Crack that throttle open and she flies...in a straight line...and they do handle in the way Kawasaki designed it...and they do stop...but all of that is so much less able or controlled than anything with Ohlins, brembos or single rear shocked bikes...6 pot twin tociko calipers upfront...but notorious for sticking pistons...and not a patch on brembos...an uncomfy seat that eats your spine after 60 miles strangely...you would be paying a visit to Corbin or Sargent seats (I had a corbin seat on mine....)...You will be buying a fork brace...nice man in the states makes and sells them....They are a big old heavy beast but that disappears when on the go...and they do go...Usual Heavy Kawasaki Clunk when engaging first gear from cold....lessens when warm but always there when cold....coffin pot masters....big strong hands needed.....Dont get me wrong...I like it..my girlfriend rode it most...they do what they say on the tin...but it wss a budget bike and thus limited....a nice lazy beast...into 2nd/3rd and you could be there all day...and plenty of aftermarket parts available...unlike Bimota...piccies....Everything is alloy...although painted on standard bikes...underbraced swingarm...forks...wheels...radiator covers...mine had been "blinged" shall we say...it was funny seeing how many folk thought it was a Yamaha...and how many thought how clean and new looking it was for a Z1100R eddie Lawson rep....even though it was the newer ZRX1100...

Less of a scalpel...more of a Felling axe.....Not somuch a pick...moreover a pnuematic Jack hammer...But Fun for sure
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look and old school feel of the torquey ZRX. Nice photos 2bims!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: