Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

sb6r : how often to use it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mk2sean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: sb6r : how often to use it? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

This is my first post to the forum.

My father passed away in june last year after a very long illness. A year before he died he was lucky enough to purchase a SB6R. The bike was in great condition but he wanted it perfect so parts were sent to bike paints in Fife. They did an excellent job. Unfortunately my father was not around to see the finished bike but after it was assembled I am sure he would have loved it.

My mother now has the bike under blankets in the workshop.

My question is related to the fuel in the tank and the possibility of damage to the bike with this fuel "going off" .

What are the educated ones on here's opinion on what to do? Should we drain it? Run it regular intervals and keep the tank brimmed? How often should it run? Better to use it on the road or just let it burn it at idle?

I live about 6 hours from my mother and visit around 3/4 times a year.

any advice at all would be great.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sean, really sorry for your loss.
I'm no expert but I would be tempted to drain the fuel from the tank and the carbs if possible. I believe it is the ethanol in modern fuel that causes most issues if left stood as it absorbs water leading to corrosion. I am going to invest in an Ethanol kit (www.Ethanil.CO.UK) which would allow you to put ethanol-free fuel in the tank which would cause fewer problems if the fuel was left for longer periods. Engines will not thank you for not being used, so a regular start-up would be beneficial with a full warm up, needless to say the battery will need to be kept charged up, invest in a battery conditioner.
If it is practical to give the bike a run out that would be better, do not let it just stand idling. I am sure those with more experience of SB6 series will jump in to advise.
One more thing, ensure the workshop is dry especially if you cover it in blankets, condensation under any covering is not good. Good luck.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Dad I wish it was a better introduction to the forum but welcome.

It's always better to use a bike rather than have it laid up for long periods. If you're going yo ride it a tank of fuel is about 150 miles, zero the trip odometer when you fill up.
It's better not to store it fuel in the tank and drain the carbs too if you can. Slacken off the chain and leave with clean oil in. Squirt some 3in1 oil down the bores. Take the battery off or put it on trickle charger. Turning the engine over is good because it gets the clutch plates oiled

But riding it is best.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others are saying....welcome to the Forum and evidently commisserations also.......You've not said if you are a biker yourself? And thus would be able to ride it?.....Whilst you may think riding it will wear things out....leaving it standing idle will also cause things to dry out...oil seals, bearings....fluids going off...brake calipers seizing, discs rusting....etc etc....

Evidently fondness and respect for your fathers bike still foremost in your mind, but perhaps he'd want to think of you riding it, having it at your place.....And when the time comes, perhaps finding a new owner, the chances are with a Bimota that a new home will look after it more than some other brands.

Ultimately the best way to respect a Bimota is to ride it...beauty is in looking at them, but that beauty extends when it comes to riding them also...
mk2sean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you lads for all your replies. Very pleased.

after discussing it with my mother and sister it has been decided that I will takr the bike to my house. I will stick to all the advice given. Many thanks.

I will post up some pics when I pick it up.

thanks again.

Sean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: