Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB9 shock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gav...isnt the top shock fixing point on the subframe also an adjustable cam for different angles? Albeit you would need the special socket to fit into the billet socket? admittedly the spring should hit whatsoever...but I'm just wondering whether you have it set to the worst possible offset that may make it rub? and if counter rotated 180 degrees it may not rub?

Tolerances are always...ahem...tight....whether by trick or chance....and Bimota changing suppliers of shocks etc through a models production doesnt help...On DB5's the extreme shock fits ok...but on the 5R's its an ohlins unit and the spring can make contact with the hot exhaust pipes gping to the rear end cans.....also due to "tolerances" they fit it upside down...meaning the nifty adjusters are only accessible by feeding your hand and arm between those hot pipes to reach the unit....not a good idea....nor is having the remote reservoir sitting between the pipes like a cast iron pot cooking on the range....Admittedly you can remove the riders seat pad to access the top of the shock and its adjusters...but guess what...yup...theres a bolt fixing under the seat that has to be reached through the pipes again...Grrghhhh.....
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.2Bims....the eccentric cam was set on full front mode thus making the angle less upright .Albeit the base point is always in the same position.

Regardless of eccentric position the Matris was close...I thought it was okay but in real life use it fouled.

The Extreme has the smallest spring outside dia followed by the Ohlins and then up another 6 mm on diameter comes the MATRIS.

Ben (Bimota UK) chased the factory last summer ...so the Ohlins option had been available to me since its arrival in October......

I will re work the Matris spring and I have couple of spare springs kicking around from when I was playing with the Extreme..
..if they fit and are of the correct rate they may see the light of day.

The front cartridge Matris conversion went in without any issues and everything was sourced from Bike Torque in the UK.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
tassie v2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted the Matris cartridge in the front and a custom built Ohlins to the rear , all fit up perfectly. Ohlins was based on their Honda 1000 range. Still dont think the DB8 is the best handling bike out there , cant find the geometry balance for this bike . From experience I think an offset triple clamp would correct much of the lack of feel . Std is 34 degree , 28 degrees would weight the front wheel more and be able to lift the back end to get ride height and 100mm trail .
Any comments ?
i have talked to the engineers and they said they can kit the BB3 clamps to suit the DB7/8
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised at how heavy the steering felt on my DB5R. I slid the staunches up in the triples about 4mm and it transformed the way it turned in.
1965 Triumph T100SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: