Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New YB9SR owner (with bodywork mounting query)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richie rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: New YB9SR owner (with bodywork mounting query) Reply with quote

Hi there, just signed up to this forum so hello from Melbourne, Australia. First time Bimota owner having added the below YB9SR to my all Yamaha garage (I figured since it has a Yam engine it still kinda counts as a Yamaha...). Anyway, nice to have a bit of exotica in the garage (it's exotic to me at least, though I realise by Bimota standards it's nothing too special).

Anyway, I have a question regarding how the combined tank / rear bodywork mounts to the rear subframe that I'm hoping another YB9 owner might be able to assist me with. I've posted several pics below, but many of the mounts are missing so needing some advice....

Here's the beast - imported from Japan, reasonably tidy but been sitting for many years. Has 10,000kms on her.

Pic of the mount hole in the rear section of the bodywork - empty unfortunately...

Pic taken up underneath showing the gap between the inside of the rear bodywork and the subframe - this is about 40mm each side - what bridges this gap? Som sort of rubber mount that allows the tail section to be attached to it?

I removed the bodywork and the rear subframe and you can see that whatever sort of spacer that fills this 40mm gap must screw directly into the base, as you can clearly see the threaded insert here:

The place I bought the bike from has offered to manufacture something to solve the problem of the missing original fittings, but I'm hoping to learn what sort of material was used to provide some information to assist them, or even better if anyone could tell me if there's any chance somewhere in the world might stock spare parts for these bikes (long shot I know, but just in case!).

The bike is also missing one of these rubber mounts that sit at the rear of the subframe (presumably where the bodywork sits on) - anyone know if these are generic and available parts? (again a long shot I assume).

Apologies for the size of the pics (couldn't seem to resize these on the mobile). Appreciate any sage words of wisdom from those more in the know on these bikes.

Best regards, Richard
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and congrats on posting pics on your first post Laughing

Try Bimota Classic Parts, they have quite a lot of parts including manuals etc. is that the yb9 from Raider Motorsport?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
richie rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on posting pics on your first post Laughing

Try Bimota Classic Parts, they have quite a lot of parts including manuals etc. is that the yb9 from Raider Motorsport?

Thanks Brian, will check them out. Yes it's the one from Raider, wasn't looking for a Bimota, but stumbled across it and thought it would make an interesting addition to the garage (and quite good value for a Bimota I thought...)

Cheers, Richard
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brian suggests, Bimota Classic Parts is your best option. If you register with the site you will have access to the parts manual and you will see there are alloy spacer bushes to fit between the subframe and the bodywork. BCP do not appear to be showing any stock of this bush, but it should be easy enough to get made, especially if some other kind YB9 owner gives you the dimensions.
Good luck, you do know one Bimota is never enough! Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others are saying and welcome to the Forum....a rare blue version....normally they were "sheep dip" red or yellow...with only a few blue ones.......(only 26 in blue out of 651 made)

Its a bush, a bolt and a washer that you are missing....is the one on the RHS also missing??.....same with the black thing on the rear seat support....as others say...sign up to bimotaclassicparts.com for free...and you can view the exploded parts diagram that show you how parts go together...

http://www.bimotaclassicparts.com/en/content/33-yb9-sr-600

http://www.sfogliami.it/flip.asp?sc=hpv5v2kdltkle5p6um3op73orusuquh3&ID=117652#page/94

If they are missing on both sides then its down to Laminator or others on here to be nice and remove their parts from their YB9...photo, measure and publish on the site so that you can have the bush made to the right size (normally just a turned and holed alloy bush)....bolt and washers are mere bolt and washers

Have you figured out how the fairing comes off yet?? Teehee.... Laughing
richie rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul & 2Bims, much appreciated, I'll sign up to BCP - great that I can gain access to the parts manuals - invaluable when the bike is missing a few parts.

Unfortunately both sides are missing 2Bims, so can't simply copy the opposite side. The tank / rear panels came off easily enough (though I've never owned a bike like that before!) but I haven't attempted removing the fairing as yet. Given it's one piece and only joins at the base then I'm assuming you have to 'spread' the lower fairing to get it past the front wheel / forks? I assume there's enough flex in the fibreglass to allow this? Or am I missing something?

I wasn't sure if the paint job was original as I've never seen a blue Bimota before, but did stumble across a post somewhere where the colour scheme was confirmed as legit. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first but it's grown on me quite a bit.

Thanks again for the generous info. Cheers, Richard
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome....Laminator or another on here should strip one of those bolts out for you with the spacer and give you pictures/dimensions of whats needed......Tank and seat units usually easy to remove on Bimotas giving access to electrics, battery, plastic fuel cell etc.......

And yup...youre right in the assumption with the fairing...Bimota did that one piece clamshell fibreglass fairing on a fair few models...to give nice clean lines.....its mirrors off....disconnect front indicators...undo fairing fastenings and dzus style fixings on belly pan....and with bike on rear stand....you have a hollow spindle so you can put a threaded rod through it and then use a normal pop up stand for security....some of us roll the bike onto a piece of offcut carpet...as its easier and less stress on the bodywork to merely prise it open enough to pass around and past where the tyre hits the carpet....it will drag on the floor..hence the carpet.....and then hopefully with a mate you prise the fairing open like a clamshell and pull off forward and over the front wheel....Not too familiar with the YB9...but you may want to loosen the front mudguard clamps that go around the fork lowers and drop the mudguard onto the front tyre to help with clearance issues...

On later YB9 models they did put a split between nose cone and side panels to help with removal...
richie rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again 2Bims, great info to know (though annoying to need two people to do the job...).

Hey, the DB2 in your pic, is that the one featured in Practical Sportsbikes a while back? Great article and lovely bike.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie rich wrote:
Thanks again 2Bims, great info to know (though annoying to need two people to do the job...).

Hey, the DB2 in your pic, is that the one featured in Practical Sportsbikes a while back? Great article and lovely bike.

Yeh...same Db2... That was a few years ago that article...the full rebuild is on here....that's where the journo saw the bike and asked to do an article/ride out...

Fairing removal can be done by one person...as I do...means you lying down on the deck in front of the bike...inserting both arms inside the fairing...parting them...then wriggling backwards like a slug....some folk tie the headstock to garage rafters after jacking up so wheel is off the ground...
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

There is a spacer each side that fits between the frame and the seat cowl.

They are approx 40mm but I can't confirm that until I take mine out and measure them, I can do it on saturday but can't get to the bike until then. Mine are nylon but the seat unit is modified on mine. I would guess they should be aluminium.

Do you have the fixing bolts? I may have a spare set. I've got two spare sets but not sure they'll fit the YB9.

Fasteners - the one on the left has been manufactured, I think by Nigel.
I think I've got an original pair in my boxes at home.

richie rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laminator, thanks for the reply and information. Firstly, your YB9 looks sensational - I assume that colour scheme isn't factory (as I haven't seen one like that before), but it suits the bike so well, looks like you're setting the standard for these!

I don't have the fastners either, and your photo of them now makes sense as I had mistakenly assumed that it was the bush that screwed into the thread in the subframe and then the fastener screwed into the bush. But it appears that the fastener goes through the bush and screws into the subframe thread. I've just sent Bimota Classic Parts an email as they have a listing for the bush (but no price so I'm not sure if they have any or not), but they don't list anything for the fasteners.

You're bang on with the 40mm bush as when I take away the width of the subframe from the inside width of the bodywork I get 75-80mm difference (width for both sides).

It would therefore seem it's the fasteners / bolts that are just as important (if not more) than the bushes (which are just simple spacers). If you happen to have a spare set that you're not using and would be open to selling and posting down to the bottom of the world then I'd be very appreciative!

It seems quite a few of the fasteners were pinched off the bike before it was loaded on the boat to head to Aus, as the photos of the bike in Japan show all the fasteners on the bike, yet they weren't on the bike when it arrived...

Again, appreciate the reply and offer to assist, very generous of you.
Best Regards, Richard
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we've got some nylon or aluminium at the workshop is can turn some bushes on our lathe for you. I'll also check the fasteners are the same length as my spares.

I can't have a look until the weekend though.

Cheers
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that someone robbed a few bits...especially when they are "one offs" specific to Bimotas......Here....not what you need...but to give you an idea what Bimota do...is the bushes used on their DB1....they are "mere" spacers"...and hidden beneath the bodywork so you dont see them...until you remove the outer bolt that goes through them and they fall away...

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2429&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
richie rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laminator wrote:
If we've got some nylon or aluminium at the workshop is can turn some bushes on our lathe for you. I'll also check the fasteners are the same length as my spares.

I can't have a look until the weekend though.

Cheers

Sounds great mate, again thank you. I'll let you know if / when BCP come back to me too.

Cheers, Richard
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to register it for the road?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: