Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Yamaha FZR400RR 3TJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Yamaha FZR400RR 3TJ Reply with quote

I bought this bike as an abandoned project in August 12, the engine was out of the frame and there were some parts missing. It took me until June 13 to get the MOT and after that I sorted out the teething problems finishing it in Sept 13.
At this point I had: Painted the engine cases: Rebuilt the clutch: Reset the valve tolerances; cleaned the sump out; Stripped + repainted the sub frames, radiator, clip-ons, triple clamps and mirror brace; Fitted new head race bearings and rear wheel bearings; Changed the rear disk; Stripped + greased the rear suspension linkages, Rebuilt the front suspension with 12.5 wt oil and new seals; Fitted new chain + sprockets; Cleaned out the brake callipers and fitted front braided hoses + new pads all round; Repaired the bodywork and resprayed the top fairing; Renewed the screen; Replaced the leaking fuel tank; Fitted a 1 key lockset; Fitted another set of downpipes with new nuts + studs and Lazer can; Stripped, cleaned and balanced the carbs; Repaired an EXUP cable; Fitted another loom, battery + Reg Rec; The air, oil and fuel filters got changed; New handle bar grips, bar ends, number plate and indicators; New clutch, speedo cables and a KMH to MPH converter; Finally I had a pair of Supercorsa tyres and had 90 deg valves fitted.
I ran it for about a year until I got hit by a U turning car and then in Jan 15 a van driver got road rage, hit me off and broke my left collarbone and right hand, he got a year inside for it, but it took a long time before I was interested in repairing it. The bike went down the road on the left side. The alternator cover was broken and the bolts holding it snapped the crank cases behind it. The clip-on bent back denting the frame, the rest of the damage what you’d imagine. To get the cases welded I had to strip the engine to take the crank out.
The repairs: Rebuilt the engine with new cam chain, skimmed head + barrels, decoked and reground valves; Cleaned + lacquered carbon frame guards; Replaced fairing lower, clutch perch, clip-on and foot peg; Repaired top fairing and tail sections; Renewed clutch lever, bar ends, and added a fairing bolt kit.
So, it’s a 25 year old Cat D write off bike, it qualifies for classic insurance, mechanically great although the front master feels old. It has a graze to the left tail and a small dent by the petrol filler the rest of the panels have small scratches over them. It’s a good bike if you’re new to biking or experienced, just needs a bit more love than I have at the moment.

Not looking for big money, I'll put this on E-Bay later for a Buy It Now £1100 but I'll do a deal if you're on the forum

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/162043730092?
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was local to me, you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of putting it on fleabay
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know there are only three 3TJs in the States
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that but it's still a ripping deal given the amount of work that went into it, salvage title and all. Being a four stroker I wouldn't be surprised if you get a US buyer to sit up and take notice...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA got the 3BF parts bin special based on the 86-87 Genesis. The 3TJ was 2 redesigns further on. It's like the difference between the FZR1000 Genesis and the ThunderAce
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the headlight I want for my DB2! ... but I don't think that justifies buying the whiole bike (plus I'm 6'4" and 100kg!)

Looks like a great value summer scratcher if you are the right size and have the local roads for it. GLWS
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
Just the headlight I want for my DB2! ... but I don't think that justifies buying the whiole bike (plus I'm 6'4" and 100kg!)

Looks like a great value summer scratcher if you are the right size and have the local roads for it. GLWS

Bimota used a Yamaha pattern headlight so the 3TJ unit will bolt straight in, crap for night riding though
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
The USA got the 3BF parts bin special based on the 86-87 Genesis. The 3TJ was 2 redesigns further on. It's like the difference between the FZR1000 Genesis and the ThunderAce

USA more often than not does not get the best of the best, whether its cars, bikes or other consumer goods because the American consumer is too concentrated on $$ signs rather than the overall value.

Case in point, many moons ago when I was working for a food and beverage company out of Moscow, I traveled to Sri Lanka as part of the private brand tea label my company was launching. In talks with Sri Lankan tea experts I learned that the best grade of tea (and coffee, btw) goes to German and Japanese markets because the consumers there will pay for the value of having the best product. The lowest tea grades went to.... US because the consumers here were only interested in how fast the tea bag dissolved the tea in a cup of hot water. They are not willing to pay for a better flavor or quality of teas. That rationale spreads to a lot of other consumer goods categories.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain used to import proper tea into americaland once .... they threw it in the sea. We've always remembered that so when we were managing Sri Lanka we only sent the low grade stuff.

Revenge is best served in a cup with lemon, although some milk and a little sugar is also acceptable Laughing Laughing
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one EC, very good Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:

Revenge is best served in a cup with lemon, although some milk and a little sugar is also acceptable Laughing Laughing

I believe President Putin will agree with you wholeheartedly
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interesting to hear from the Big O himself when he comes to visit. He always comes across as a very rational president, quite what he's doing in American politics is beyond me - still it looks likes the idiots could stage a return soon.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was merely referring to the plutonium case, with the former KGB colonel being poisoned through a cup of tea.

I don't subscribe to the views of the current administration. Hillary will be even worse, corrupt and power hungry as she is.
2004 BMW R11S BCR

Last edited by Tirefriar on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ... I thought the poison tipped umbrella was the weapon of choice.

Bike sold tonight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: