Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Help For A Friend
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Help For A Friend Reply with quote

A lady friend of mine has just bought a DB1 SR.

I have only seen pics of it , however it has had a 900 SS motor fitted ( not sure what model, it is a belt drive motor) a 17" front wheel, different swingarm and a different exhaust.

Any advice on what to look for when setting this bike up would be appreciated.

It has been in a collection for some time, although it has been ridden and has been registered for the road.

It will be re registered and I will be helping to maintain it so any tips will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Ken.........Pictures would be lovely as then we could see what it had, or doesnt have...and preferably with clothes off if you excuse the expression.......if you dont know how to post piccies then you could email them to me and I'd post up...theres perhaps 5 or 6 DB1 owners on here and all would chip in with help....as they say though...a picture paints a thousand words....

Will add more later but busy stripping a DB2

Last edited by 2bims on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post pics when the bike arrives at my man cave.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers from Down Under!
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some pics !

That's not me in this photo!

Looks to be tidy, however not an original pristine example.

This bike will be ridden regularly so maintenance is important.

Hope the pics help.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....its going into your man cave....well congrats on that front.......Initial stab of questions are :-

When did it last run?
Is the battery up to power?
Does it have 17 inch front and rear wheels? (A popular swap to increase tyre choice from old 16inchers)

No worries on the 900ss implant....we're not Bimota anal on here....Mods are fine......Evidently with it being a Ducati engine theres the old "rubber cam belts" issue.....if you know....so if not been changed for a while dont try and start or turnover the engine until checking the integrity of the belts....covers can be removed with engine insitu.

If the battery is still in the same place....you have to drop the oil coller off its mounts, unbolt the battery case...and drop that and the battery out of its location through the bottom of the frame....

Your bike should have a plastic petrol tank so rust wont be an issue...but cleaning it out of old fuel should be done...check integrity of fuel lines also that they havent hardened over time, split/cracked.....Check gearbox oil...at least that theres some in it.....

Will be interesting to see...as the 750 engine in it as original is carbs at the back of each cylinder and exhuast outlets at the front of each cylinder....a 900ss motor the rear cylinder is reversed 180 degrees so that exhaust exits out the back...hence why a new exhaust system would have been fitted...and changes to bodywork bellypan no doubt to route it around....although theres a very nice bloke in Oz that reverse engineers modern Ducati engines into the original format of the 750ss motor........Original 750 motor has clutch slave integral to RHS crankcase cover...900ss has clutch slave outside the LHS crankcase cover.....

Will await pictures with anticipation and intrigue....and then more comments/answers/ queries....It helps if you give a background to your bikes/biking/mechanic skills/history......not family...just bike related...so that no-one tells you how to suck eggs.......allsorts on here...newbie virgins and tried and tested diehards....and all welcome
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ken, interesting machine. I agree with 2bims that if the bike has a bit of unknown history with regards to useage then belt, filters and fluid changes, also valve clearances should be considered. Age of tyres would also be a concern for me.
Do you know the frame number yet? The DB1SR had the Marvic 17" wheels like yours but also came with 4 pot callipers. The bodywork was also red with white banding, and the exhaust was a 4 into 1 system, though the engine swap on yours has affected that. The frame number range for the DB1 is 001-476, DB1S 477-538, DB1SR 539-782.
The DB1 models are my favourites of the Bimota models and I am sure you will enjoy looking after it and hopefully riding it. Very Happy
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos you see are by the previous owner for the purpose of selling the bike.

It is now on it's way to me and will be here in a couple of weeks. Long wait I know , however, better to trust the transport to a trustworthy bike only carrier.

I am 59 and the lady who bought the bike owned one 30 odd years ago and had the bucket wish to own another one, here wish has been granted and she is hoping that this bike will reignite her passion.

This lady currently rides an 848 with a few mods that I have looked after for her for about 4 years now. I have owned 43 bikes myself, some I wish I still had and as I don't trust anyone else to touch my bikes I have become fairly proficient on the spanners.

There is usually another bike in the cave that requires something doing, some Ducs, Aprillias, Moto Guzzi and various Jap Crotch Rockets as well as a couple of complete Restorations just for something to do.

I love V Twins and currently have a VTR1000 that I have modded to suit my needs but enjoy trying other bikes.

It's coming from a dealer who acted as the agent for the owner. The bike as you can see by the pics seems to be in great nick! It has recently had the belts and valves done as well as a good service so hopefully it will be a plug and play situation once it's registered.

No doubt I can post a video and get your opinions and suggestions!

Cheers Cobbers !
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos you see are by the previous owner for the purpose of selling the bike.

It is now on it's way to me and will be here in a couple of weeks. Long wait I know , however, better to trust the transport to a trustworthy bike only carrier.

I am 59 and the lady who bought the bike owned one 30 odd years ago and had the bucket wish to own another one, here wish has been granted and she is hoping that this bike will reignite her passion.

This lady currently rides an 848 with a few mods that I have looked after for her for about 4 years now. I have owned 43 bikes myself, some I wish I still had and as I don't trust anyone else to touch my bikes I have become fairly proficient on the spanners.

There is usually another bike in the cave that requires something doing, some Ducs, Aprillias, Moto Guzzi and various Jap Crotch Rockets as well as a couple of complete Restorations just for something to do.

I love V Twins and currently have a VTR1000 that I have modded to suit my needs but enjoy trying other bikes.

It's coming from a dealer who acted as the agent for the owner. The bike as you can see by the pics seems to be in great nick! It has recently had the belts and valves done as well as a good service so hopefully it will be a plug and play situation once it's registered.

No doubt I can post a video and get your opinions and suggestions!

Cheers Cobbers !
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats what I call information and exactly what helps us on here...and photos also on your first visit to the site....congratualtions...theres folk been on here for years that still dont know how to post pictures.....Guys...you know who you are.

Bike actually looks very original....and a proper professional engine conversion done as well....handmade tailored exhausts (Ducatis exhaust would never fit so nice and tight to the crankcase...)

Bike has original forks, original front discs (old rattly cast iron jobbies), original calipers on the front....seemingly original bodywork...although evidently repainted....they never said "bimbo" on the rear seat unit...normally desmo...but I kind of like that touch by the painter....

Seems to have holes in nose fairing for "california Vitaaloni" mirrors..which are still available and quite cheap really....

Rear swingarm is original Db1 with rear wheel concentrics....looks like original Marzocchi rear shock that normally has a remote twirly knob adjuster on the RHS swingarm....

Footpegs are original and gear lever...hangers are original but have been cut out where they are normally just recessed....
Sidestand not original...original fitted to the exhaust cross branch and is a suicide unit...which is pants.....so presumably this one is a Duc item bolted to the crankcase....

Clocks oriignal....etc etc...

Still has the brake and clutch reservoirs atop the marzocchi M1R forks.....twist to take cap off to retop up....BUT...BUT...if removing the reservoir itself on either fork top...be sure to be know that they are also the caps for the forks and a big spring will launch itself out and pop an eye out...be warned.....

Still has original round radial Brake and clutch masters with non adjustable levers.....These are a bit of a pig as they bend dogleg...but the wrong way...and after only a short while I suffered cramps in both hands pulling the clutch and front brake....possibly the seals shouldnt be trusted either after 30 years of service.....So get the lady to check if she can pull the clutch and brake constantly...hold it in and repeat for 20 mins...I changed mine for a better ratio gold series masters on both sides....but kept the hose link to the reservoir pots for originality...adjustable levers and better ration makes easy riding........The bikes are teeny tiny and perfect for a woman due to low low seat height...but even a 6ft 4 bloke can get on and tuck in.........

battery relocated to where the airbox/crankcase breather used to be...so no problems there.......

Discs front and rear are cast iron...so surface rust occurs but fine afteer riding...even though only single pot calipers its more than enough to pull it up...M1R forks may need a refresh...but I think you know your stuff......

Those wheels look like same as on the original Ducati 900 Superlight...alloy rims mag spokes....the rivets/bolts were known to crack/snap...so worthy to check....Ducati discontinued them after the first superlight.......

Thats about it for now.....gas her, start her and ride like the devil....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken.....evidently check the age of the tyres also...should be a three or 4 digit number stamped on LHS of tyres....pre 2000 had say 797 meaning 7th month of 97...post 2000 have 2615 say...meaning 26th week of the year 2015....or the other way around I forget which.....Age....not so good...

One thing I have to point out which is MOST worthy...I see it has blingey blue red anodised banjos and braided hoses feeding the oil to the heads on both cylinders....evidently not standard...BUT...and its a big but.....take one of the anodised blingey banjos out and see if its a "mere" brake line banjo...or whether the hole in the banjo is suitably sized for tranferring oil and NOT much thinner and less viscous Engine oil....the hole should be about half the diameter of the threaded part of the Banjo...and not a tiny hole like it is on brake line banjos to provide pressure.

Wrong sized banjo holes on the heads can lead to Oil starvation on the top ends...and ultimately Seizure, blown cams, rockers, valves etc etc....seriously.....Blings OK...for some...but not necessary when they arent visible anyhow.........Another person on here bought a DB2 and found the same darn thing....incorrectly sized brake line banjos with fandango anodising in place of the proper Banjos for Ducati heads.......The proper banjos can still be bought from Ducati and are in stock at the factory....around 7gbp a-piece...as I've just ordered new ones for one of my bikes....they are a bugger to find on ebay as really quite specific to Ducatis....and not any other bikes that I know of.....The main hole along the length of the bolt is also a bigger diameter......

So check those puppies out first........
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller says that the wheels are by Saxon and the Swing Arm also.

There is some spare body work as well.

This bike was originally sold in the U.K

I have no reason to disbelieve the seller and would like to research it's history once I have my hands on it.

Was already thinking that it would be nice to bring the front calipers up to a more modern standard and was wondering if there are any tried and proven bolt on upgrades.

Obviously it will be ridden first to see how they perform, can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a thorough going over and then ride it over my favourite mountain road that just so happens to be at my front door.

This is where it will be in the Man Cave.

And here is a couple of short video of the conditions it will be used under.

Out in the surrounding countryside, and on the mountain

Make no mistake, this DB will be used as the lady owner is a keen track day rider and is not scared to get stuck into it when the pace is upped.

I have a video of the bike running and it sounds good, now just to get it here and start enjoying it.

On a more curious note, and a subjective one, What would something like this sell for in the U.K?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare clothes also? Nice Bonus....possibly Airtech race stuff still available for sale in the USA...but over $2,000 plus shipping plus taxes plus would need painting....Original Bimota stuff is fibreglass and really very thick...Airtech do 2 types...thin race clothes and ones with headlight cut-outs for road use...

Still looks like original swingarm with concentrics to me.....original cast iron rear disc...original caliper bracket and caliper...original front calipers also on cast iron full floater rattly discs (check for wear on bobbins...around the rotor...side to side flap is OK...)

I'd suggest ride it when sure its OK....wont need upgrade unless racing ...although change the master for front brake and clutch...the levers are just very far away....some folk do fit aftermarket 4 piston gold series brembos to the front...with a modded bracket to suit...but you'd need special pads for the rattlycast iron discs also...and they aint cheap...Bike is light enough to be a good stopper with standard brakes as factory fitted...they were ahead at the time and still stand up to grade...you'll find a nice detail on the front brake line passage...single line goes to lower yoke...banjo fitting...exiting to 2 banjo fittings on the rear of the yoke...then separate lines to the calipers...theres drilled passageways on the lower yoke to carry the brake fluid....trick ...but just because they could....

Value??? Always a difficult one with Any Bimota...more so than any other make...theres just so few ever made...and even smaller Nos available for sale.....of the 3 of us in the UK with DB1's..I bought mine from Italy...although the Italian bought it from the UK where it was first reg'd...another in the UK bought his from Canada...such was his desire to find one....

A good "mint" useable DB1? 15-20K GBP.....many are modded or tracked...or just museum pieces...and value can go up or down depending on the person wanting to buy finding whats done to it is what he wants...A COUPLE sold in the USA recently and Canada for 12-15K GBP equivalent....Really the price, or value comes simply down to how much the buyer will pay...and how much the seller will let it go for...as you just cant find them for sale down the road...and 10 more further up the same street....It just dont work like that.......But...if its a rider...then the values there in riding it...you only live once Laughing
kenmoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with your analogy regarding value.

My friend struggled with the price and as I said to her, Were or when will you get the opportunity to buy another one.

The agonising thing is that we have only seen pictures and a short video, however all seems well.

Thanks for the tip regarding the oil cooler fittings. Will definitely check them out.

Cheers for the help.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome....and others will chip in and help where needed...theres an Aussie DucatiDave on here thats clocked over 30,000miles on his Db1 he loves it that much...just search through DB posts for DB1 related threads....

Price is price.....and unseen other than vids or piccies? Done it around 10 times meself and not been dissappointed yet...Bimota owners dont consider themselves a niche above everyone else.....but the bikes certainly are and that attracts mostly a caring, loving and attentive owner...if you were buying from Italy its a swine...such is their passion for the brand most sellers there wont even reply to "outsiders"...not wanting their bikes to leave the homeland...I had an american block me on ebay from buying his DB1 as he didnt want it to leave the states....and some sellers are so possessed that even the thought of a "reduced offer" stamps them in the face like a wet kipper...with simply a response of one word coming back...."Ridiculo"....and then they never respond to you again....so being able to secure one in the first place is the hardest task ever...and that box is now ticked....just pure fun from now on in...
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I also noticed one Dzus style fixing was missing from the lower nose fairing left hand side....they look like Dzus...but arent...the back fixing plate is actually bonded into the fibreglass bodywork...and the "bolt" as such is a mere 1/4 turn ally piece with a strong spring...turns out they are used in the light aircraft industry and bodywork on kit car etc...just cant recall the name of them...its on here somewhere...but they are still available....in many different lengths...careful measuremnt of the thickness of the bodywork is needed before ordering if needed....not such an issue...the bellypan is only held on by them but the nose cone has 4 of them plus 2 humongous allen alloy bolts that really do the job....

Did I mention that I have the Db1 spares catalogue that I could email to you? it gives exploded diagrams to show how all the things go together....names of parts in many languages and part numbers also...which can sometimes help for parts that are still available....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: