Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Restoration (Episode II - following on from 6 years ago!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Waggy...I have to respray the Coils and Ignition pack bracket also under the front frame rail...and as this is "unseen"...I think this could be a good test panel for your process...and if it goes T#ts up....I can strip easy and spray black and lacquer....

Been busy finding Bolt suppliers locally...and one ebay....but I prefer local to see what youre getting....and found one near my powder coaters so will be popping in to top up bolt supply when frame coating is ready for collection.

I was looking to buy from BCP....and found all the codes for all the bolts I want...and the Spare parts catalogue is great as it pre-sizes the bolts for you....and I checked its correctness with my vernier gauges of course...
Most bolts I want to replace are all called "vite bassa"...italian for low head....

I found this company that sells low heads in many sizes

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Falcon-Workshop-Supplies/_i.html?_nkw=m6x20+low+head&vs_submit=

Based in Wigan and take "drop ins"....prices say "free posting"...but surely cheaper in the store to collect? Although I know Demon Tweaks ebay site is cheaper with postage than collection from a branch...as they say they have to be competitive when on ebay...as its so easy to list "price+P&P lowest first".......

Lots of low heads....and then it got me thinking....Is Grade A2 stronger than standard steel?.....and I found this interesting article on the net.....and with max torque settings per mm diameter of bolt which should prove useful...as torque settings not mentioned in owners book or workshop manual

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm

Anyhow...as I was saying...I was going to buy from Paolo...who seems to have a flat rate of 1,04 euro per bolt regardless....and he has other parts like 79 pieces of chain sliders for Db2's...think I'd have to be doing a lot of miles way beyond the grave to get through all of those.....but this item and others are still not priced (website says 0,00euro....but evidently hes not giving them away...)...but add in "only sending via DHL at 20-25 euros.....Bank transfer charge...or extra charge for paypal...it just doesnt make economic sense...I was still going ahead though to get the nickel plated bolts...until I found he had no low heads for the footpeg hanger plates....and I have one thats turned to cheese....

Welshlamb? didnt you get some low head bolts for your DB2 footplate hangers? and from Paolo?
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
Steve, I notice you have replaced the 2 plastic screws that hold the seat tank unit on at the rear, what did you replace them with ( size / length material etc),

Measured up the bolts for you Rich...they are M10x30mm thread length...pitch is 7 threads per 10mm...I went for mushroom heads...others are available
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an "off" day today as rain stopped play....so I went through the 4 plastic containers of bolts removed and measured them all up to buy replacements...and its then I noticed Bimotas attention to detail...every single bolt I'm replacing happens to be a "low head"...and every single one of them from the fairing supports, tank seat unit fixings...remote chock adjuster bracket, rear concentric half collats, pinch bolts that fix the swingarm to its pivet spindle...are all sized and recesses in steel and ally to take low heads...so that every visible bolt from the footpeg hangers etc etc is totally flush with the part that it bolts to...on the fairings theres the countersunk ally washers...all turned out for low heads....no wonder these bikes were expensive to make .....every recess drilled out is done to a precise depth...whether the bolt be a M6, M8 or M10...even the chain slider has taper head M5x16 bolts and the plastic slider is countersunk so to accept the bolts and be flush with the outer surface....Wow...........

So I thought I'd go through the garage and check what existing spares I have prior to going on a a shopping spree....was also time to tidy the place ready for rebuilding next week back to a rolling chassis...and I was having trouble finding some tools....spares,,,bolts etc...

Came across this old container from when I first bought my first Bimota...such was the issue..I simply wrote "Bimota" on the lid...not realising the addictive nature of them and that more would surely follow....10 in total...but now trimmed down to a "mere" 6....

Ah...first box of bits removed....

Yes...a few more boxes and bikes have followed....And yes...it rained a LOT today.....

And a few more after that also....

For some reason I have 2 of these.....

and heavens above...3 of these...yet only 2 bikes that are fitted with them...Go figure???

I think I've found and now properly located each and every tool for the rebuild...its amazing what you "acquire/Need.."

And as for bolts, washers, rubber grommets....makes sense to buy in bulk as then theres always that one part you need already there...makes sense and saves driving around or waiting for the ebay postman to come deliver...

Cleaning products handy on the window cleaning ladders...make what space you can where you can...

Get your bike stands up high off the floor...space for more bikes then you see...floorspace is for bikes not equipment...
Laughing

Organised tool rack...gardening products, slug treatment, fence creosote now down on the bottom shelf where they belong...

What I really need to sort is the workbench at the back...so that i can put a drill stand...bench grinder and vice in place...all I need to do is empty all the bikes out...and ebay all my old camping gear....

Anybody want/need a full set of clothes plus seat plus bike rack...plus footpeg hangers + silencers for a 1991 Ducati 900ss??????

Cant be bothered to ebay it as it all needs work...so free to a good home

Fortunately my searches through old containers revealed some NOS parts that I need....which is cool...including one set of exhaust half collets....why only one set I dont know...perhaps I have a hidden Supermono sneaked away at the back of the garage???

New exhaust gaskets, hose clips and carb drain hose also...as I found that the Keihin FCR41's has a drain/overflow union...but had no hose on it....Oops..

There'll be a lull for a few days as have son for the weekend and its a Bank Holiday...Hooray!!......Back next week with report on powder coating and bolt suppliers hopefully....new Parts also arrived today from my local friendly Ducati dealer...... Laughing Crying or Very sad

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just priced up all my bolts "needed"....36 bolts in total from m5's to M10's...all low heads....18gbp posted.......which is actually for 54 bolts as some sizes they do a minimum of 5 in a pack and maybe I only need 2......not bad really....Oh...and the place gives 10gbp discount for orders over 50gbp....

BCP would be 40 euros'ish...plus paypal fee/bank transfer plus...35 euros for postage (100 euros if you live in Northern Ireland???)...plus 22% IGV (VAT)...total would be 100 euros...circa 78gbp...with no spare bolts.........Shame really....ideal if he has the one and only part you need....but to shift bolts as sales...perhaps change practice?...Hey ho...rant over.......
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, thanks for the bolt info, much appreciated
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to having a break in the weather...clear dry...and not much wind so battery box repaint time.

3 coats of primer....waiting 20 mins or so inbetween coats for it to become touch dry

Item is placed on a paper bag so that I can rotate the item to spray paint the other side also and complete one coat at a time

And then leave for total touch dry until 3 coats of gloss black...again around 20-30 mins between each coat....

Just 3 coats of clear lacquer to go on top....so I thought I'd "heat" the item up by placing on a radiator with the heating on so that the final lacquer coats would gain a little more adhesion....and I may have just blinged it up a little with some silver Bimota "b" stickers I had lying around....

Item is now outside for another 20 mins or so after its final coats of lacuer are getting touch dry..and then it will move back onto the radiator overnight...or rather beside the radiator on the floor.

Next week is painting crankcase covers, engine crankcase halves, barrels and heads....and the frame and other parts are due back from the powder coaters tuesday/wednesday...and new bolts being picked up on the same day...nice man in the shop has confirmed that its cheaper to collect from the store than buy off ebay....even though they offer "free postage" we all know that its not free is it? so he cuts the ebay fees and postage cost off the prices.....and he even has Marine grade stainless steel...which may be a little extreme methinks... Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice 2bims,
How do you get the orange peel finish ? !! Shocked Laughing Wink

Oh no, am I going to get censored again !! Crying or Very sad
vort28

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice 2bims,
How do you get the orange peel finish ? !! Shocked Laughing Wink

Oh no, am I going to get censored again !! Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my natural painting style.....tis only a battery box afterall.......dont like gloss paints....it does look better now though as its been lacquered also but is still drying on the radiator....... Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
....tis only a battery box afterall.......

What sort of attitude is that !!!! It is a small piece of a larger work of motorcycle art !!!!!
v-pilot

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OCD wouldn't allow for that. I've replaced bolts on the db4 with Ti that you'll never see...I can't help it!
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
My OCD wouldn't allow for that. I've replaced bolts on the db4 with Ti that you'll never see...I can't help it!

You can't beat a nice bit of unseen Ti Laughing

2Bims is busy at the moment as its the sunny day of the year for Manchester, so expect him along soon with a fresh batch of photo's .
v-pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolly good resto going...looks like a lot of rain there. I went to visit friends in Tattenall, Cheshire a couple of years ago and had only one day of rain in a week. It turned out to be the day we went to Birmingham to the motorcycle museum. They wanted me to stay longer to keep the nice weather around.
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

TVRRICH wrote:
Steve, I notice you have replaced the 2 plastic screws that hold the seat tank unit on at the rear, what did you replace them with ( size / length material etc),

Quote:

"Bims wrote....
Hi Rich....Yeh...the Original Nylon screws were "OK"...but I had one slip and "round" once when I perhaps overtightened with my allen key....and thus found replacement mushroom headed SS allen bolts....that I fit with rubber gromments on the fibreglass seat unit...so theres still flexibility...but the bolts wont turn or round off like the nylon ones did......"

Nylon? Mushrooms? This is the original Bim part. another custom made part to add to the expense. Its alloy so very light but of course will suffer if misaligned with the steel female threads on the seat subframe. I guess this is the part you were talking about? Currently trying to locate suitable 20mm through grommets that will fit the thick (3mm +) fiberglass aperture.

on other items......
Yes I did get some yellow passivated low head bolts from BCP for the rear set hangars but they were 10mm too long. The length was on my quote confirmation from Paolo but unless you knew the correct link that wouldn't have triggered any warning bells. OK as long as you are aware not as per the ordered p/n) (sort of same issue with the DB3/4 frame that someone recently ordered.. if its not a straight replacement then it should at least be flagged up so you can make informed choice) Probably best to ask for photos if its critical??

In any case I very carefully cut them down to length (20mm) .

Swing arm pinch bolt on LHS I could just get to with a ball ended hex drive socket and a 'knuckle' joint on 3/8 drive. The RHS was thankfully OK so left as is but the only route out I could see would be to (wheel removed) disconnect rear shock an swing the swinging arm upwards.. Certainly not designed with ease of maintenance in mind.

re fasteners i used these guys for most of them
http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_SHCapLow_M6.html
for Titanium ( I weakened just a little honestly!) then these guys are by far cheapest I found even if sizes a bit limited.
http://www.competitionfasteners.com/motorcycle-components-46-c.asp

If they don't have and you just want one or two though its worth checking Ebay because some of the suppliers for cycles (leg powered type!) do them quite a bit cheaper than mainstream m/cycle suppliers such as Probolt (although they do do just about anything in Ti and its very nice)

Mind you of you want a heart attack re prices but drool over the product then go look at Italian co http://www.poggipolini.it/ who supply to F1, aerospace ...and Ducati!!

Finally.... that's a serious number of 'takeaway' cartons there 2Bims. remember ....cutting added fibre is less costly than adding carbon fibre!!

seriously though amazing how quickly and confidently you carve through the work...Looking forward to the rebuild.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not so great receiving the wrong size bolts....Hhmmm....wouldnt be too impressed....picking my bolts up tomorrow same time and village thats just phoned to say my 12 parts from the Powder coaters are ready for collection...was just happy to know that theres still 12 parts....13 I could accept but 11 or any less Oh dear.........

Re swingarm.....yeh...I thought same as you...take back wheel off and rear shock off....then lift up to access bolt...nope...clutch basket case still there....worse still...swingarm hits frame and that with the extension piece not on it...as I tried that first....so it was jack the engine and frame up to the skies....and allow the swingarm to fall lower and lower until it hits the back of the engine low down...and then...only then can you access the bolt.

You've defo got replacement bolts on the seat unit there...and nice looking also...an exact replica of the nylon units that are usually there...unless anyone tells me any different....I went to Halfords and bought grommet rubbers that fit a treat in those holes...the things used to cover sharp edges from cables that fit through...you do have to superheat the grommets in boiling water for a while though...and I used "picks, to push one face through and pull the outer flange out so theres one on each side...I do like your alloy units though....would be nice to have some of those.....Tried searching google images for DB2 piccies of seat unit...seems like theres a whole hotchpotch of home brew remedies on most bikes to replace the ones that were used...as evidently one over zealous nip up with a hex spanner and the nylon heads just melt.....

More updates either tonight or tomorrow....still busy stripping the engine and painting up while the sun is shining...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: