Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Restoration (Episode II - following on from 6 years ago!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: DB2 Restoration (Episode II - following on from 6 years ago! Reply with quote

Lets take it step by step for any newbies or those worried about doing the same and require the confidence to give it a go....you've got a complete bike that functions fine...so really youre just methodically deconstructing it and rebuilding it later...so take your time...be methodical and log everything and take lots of before and during photos....even a mini video walk around is cool to pick up any shots you may have missed...walk slowly with your camera so it can focus itself and you can later pause and view....

Chose my "old" sony normal camera ...just 7.2 megapixel....and can be better operated for macro close-ups....flash, no flash etc with greasy fingers...New camera phones are great...but mines now 15.2 megapixel and video is in high def...so they take ages to load up on photobucket...etc etc...and pictures are better understood and clearer on a laptop screen than a hand held phone...

Start with your collection of takeaway plastic dishes you've been storing up for years...

I used to use Cash deposit bags...but only a few bolts fit in each and you end up with too many bags to sort through....so I thought, breakdown bike in sections and write on each box whats in it...number of bolts for a piece etc...seat unit...fairing...swingarm...foothangers etc etc

Permanent marker pen and masking tape..and a stapler.....so that you can write on the masking tape what each electrical cable is...wrap it around the wire..and staple close to the wire...so that when the masking tape dries, unsticks itself...the tag is still secured and cant fall off the wire as it wont pass over the connecter....this I learnt the hard way...pulled a bag of wires out of a storage bag...and found several marked tags lying loose in the bag....

New Rubber cam belt backing plate located from 6 years ago for vertical cylinder...horizontal one went in 6 years ago...this one didnt as it would mean pulling the cambelt top pulley wheel to fit, and at the time I had never ridden the bike....and it was my first Bimota so simply wanted to ride and try

Locate and secure a "clean room"....for those short on garage space...and no Brian...thats not you.....only move items in here that are clean...its a joy to put together a bike where all bits are clean...bolts are new etc....dont mind grime but "factory fresh" is so much nicer to work with

Ruddy Photobucket "rotate pictures" isnt working...so tilt laptop right 90 degrees....

Heres the stripdown so far prior to relocating wires etc...idea is to route all wires to RHS...and "simply" pull off the front forks, wheel, calipers, discs, headlight etc etc as one unit with clip-ons...as nothing needs painting here and nothing needs refreshing that hasnt been done to it before

Taking a small break....best when posting long threads to "submit" and then restart...so folk can add comments and so that if your computer freezes you dont lose anything you've spent time and effort publishing....

Last edited by 2bims on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure up any settings you want to keep if you were happy with them previously....fork setting in yokes....compressed spring on rear shock settings of rings (as the shock will be coming off for a re powder coat to yellow)

Start of labelling up wires...time consuming and laborious but gives you confidence that after rebuilding it'll fire up straight off....when I did the same with the pup it did so also...scared the living jesus out of me it was so unsuspected

To be fair and frank...its childs play really....each and every connector on the bike only fits into its respective male/female partner...as all the connecters differ in type and size...only really HT leads that differ...and battery wires that is...as they all have flat ring connectors...

Top nut off top yoke...not Original Bimota but something else that was hand milled many moons ago....

These are the fairing spacer pieces that fit to the frame....recessed hex socket to remove from frame...and threaded further down to take bolt for fairing fixing...what surprised me is how little thread is actually on the end of them....I wont be tightening them too much when refitting...and in future wont be overtightening the bolts that fit into them to hold the fairing on...as these units will no doubt be made of unobtainium...although a good engineering shop could make some up....

Frame plate...was to be drilled out (rivets that is) prior to powder coating...but night time stopped work...and it was end of day...and I want a steady hand in drilling out the rivets of the "vin tag"////dont want to mess it up.....

Nice clean rear end...backwheel and swingarm and shock coming off tomorrow...all have been off this week anyhow and loosely done back up so I know theres no seized bolts...phew....Shock mounting bolts are once again "bimota one-offs"...and made from treble unobtainium no doubt

Clean middle and front bit....I always degrease whilst working through...the powder coaters like it so they can reuse grit etc...and can give you a better price for clean items given to them rather than a piece of crud dug out of a peat bog...

Label, label, label....must label...one at a time...and before you disconnect it...as the phone might ring...or toilet is needed....or you have an oldtimers moment...as I guarantee you.....if you step away for 5 minutes you'll forget what it was connected to...despite only having undone it 5 mins previous...let alone overnight...

Keihin FCR41 flatslides and 1/4 turn throttle assembly off.....When K&N's were removed...holes filled with 2 sheets of clean kitchen handtowel...fill all holes with handtowels that you dont want crud getting into...easy to get out and dont drop lint....

Valve covers removed to go off for powder coating...Unusually...and unlike Ducati....the one that looks like it should carry the mounts for the oil cooler is fitted on the vertical cylinder and carries the battery box...its exactly the same valve cover...but bimota chose to relocate and repurpose it.....

This then left them with a problem that the oil cooler rad needed its own new mounts onto a flat normal valve cover....so Bimota went back to the planet Unobtainium...and said "yes please...ruler of said planet...more one-offs please"....and thus they came up with a bolt with hex sides that you fix into the valve cover and head....and this bolt has an overlong head that has been drilled and tapped to take another bolt to sandwich and hold the bracket for the oil cooler to fix to

They could have just bought another Ducati piece...but came up with this idea instead...mines scabby but has the rubber mounts for the rad to stop it cracking/breaking from vibes I guess....yes mine is bent....i found that due to the location of the rad down low and at the front of the V chest piece of the clamshell one piece bodywork...it was rubbing/knocking the bodywork as the belly pan nose piece tapers at this point...so I wanted it further back...as it had already cracked the outer gel coat on the fairing..I decided a judicious coal chisel and lump hammer would be fitting to locate it further back with some hefty blows can only really be done with the fairing inplace so that you know its not touching anymore....the rads do "rock" on the rubber mounts....

At the end of each day and during the day its rewarding to refill your tool chest to ensure you've not lost anything or left a spanner stuck on bolt you were attempting to remove when the phone rang...Spent an hour once looking for my ratchet....even looked in the fridge as I had gotten myself a cold drink...toilet...nope...every room I'd been in...nope...best to limit the rooms you move between whilst working....And just when I've given up looking...as always...there it was sticking in a bolt still fixed to the bike....

All electrics, tagged, cleaned and bagged...and zip tied to lower yoke to stop undue stress on hanging wires breaking any of them....Anyone for takeway spaghetti?...

All electrics now enter through one side of lower yoke/headstock...and throttle cables for flatslides through the other...means front can be pulled off easier if need be....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front "bumpstops" removed....turn to turn that is to stop clip-ons.hands hitting the tank....these are supposed to be one-offs made for when the forks were changed to 51mm and new yokes made up...so how different they are to Bimotas original ones I dont know....nice kit though...nylon caps on alloy tube with through bolt fixing....

Only Bimota...Only Bimota.....tch tch.....A standard ducati plate for the Kokusan units and HT coils.....(well...it has the mini cagiva elephant on it)...that comes predrilled with two holes in it....so BImota weld two washers onto a frame subrail...and then drill and tap them centrally so that bolts can go through them to hold the plate....Thing is though....one bolt you can reach without moving anything...and the ruddy other one is hidden behind one of the coils and needs removing so that you can get access to remove the bolt.....and instead of fitting them under the tank...they put them at the front frame rail where they catch all the crud and spray from the front wheel......

This...is where I had my only issue.....the low-head allen bolts had evidently corroded due to their exposed location and none of my allen keys, drill bits, sockets etc seemed to fit snug....either too big or perhaps too small...and yup...one of them turned to cheese and rounded without turning...one came out and so I wiggled and wiggled the plate as there was only one bolt remaining..but had to resort to molegrips to loosen its bite......I have used 2 whole large cans of WD40...liberally spraying every bolt and nit and leaving overnight prior to attempting removal...this is the only time one has failed....I will be returning normal bolts in its place and SS at that......

WD40/GT85 etc...is also great at removing grease from paintwork, powder coated frames...and alloy cleans up nicely also with it...just spray on a clean cloth and rub like mad...works wonders....

I use GT85...as Large spray cans with the red straw thingie are available from...yup...the PoundShop...and Poundland and PoundWorld....

I was worried about the plastic chain guide coming out due to years of catching crud....and Bimota using countersunk tiny 4mm bolts...but...they came away dead easy...must be due to being covered in chain lube spray for years....

This is where cable ties go to die....cabletie graveyard...must try to use less when refitting.

Have to be honest though....You can tell the Beauty and engineering that can only come from handbuilt bikes....the entire frame is riddled with fantastic welds and bracing...and hole after hole after hole thats drilled and tapped for something to fit to...rather than lots of brackets that things are fixed to that are then fixed to the frame......This is what containers I ended up with after removing every plate and bolt from the frame and subframe....

Yep....8 of them....and they are all empty...as I;ve actually only filled 3 so far and only one is semi full.......you can start to see where the expense comes from.....Although I have found one tapped drilled hole at the back of the frame on a cross rail that had nothing fixed to it? maybe a catch tank for oil breather? Dont know....anyone know? On the photo beloow theres a cross rail directly behind the rear shock on the same alingment...welded on washer and drilled and tapped hole? Whats it for? Normally you wouldnt see it as its sandwiched between the 2 SS heat baffle plates...so what on earth could fit between that? Rotisserie for toasting your Salami? pastrammi?

Just a few skeleton piccies to close the day

and always best to record the mileage so that you recall when you last restored it...and maybe in 20 years more someone else will be doing the same......

And they'll be more on the engine soon also.....

Ciao for now....maybe more tomorrow night...depends what the weathers doing tomorrow...as I've promised myself 2 days of riding bikes and hpefully not turning spanners....but have taken more piccies already for future installments
kenmoore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

That's what I call a resto!

And what would that be parked beside the 2?

Enjoy your ride tomorrow.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always "bag off" and zip tie shut items that may leak...like the clutch slave...dont wont it leaking all over my nice clean wheels...

Remember locations and photo for "specials" where tank is elevated wire ziptied rubber blocks to allow push/pull twin cable set up of flatslides to pass through unhindered...

And routing of cables so that they dont go anywhere near nice sharp edges like those of the twin heat baffle panels..

Rear subframe unit....8 holes and 6 threaded...on such a small piece....bent tubing and weld after weld...no wonder they were such a relatively expensive bike when they came out..

Front oil cooler bracket and location....ahem...needs a tidy...

Nice nylon spacer shims for the rear swingarm where it abuts up to the needle roller bearings in the Ducati engine......One each side...and no other shims...such was the tolerance they worked to....on Ducatis you end up with several plain steel washers that live their life in crud and rot...and pass that to the needle roller bearings....these nylon ones not only look like new...but are larger OD and seem to have shielded and protected the shaft and roller bearings so they look like new after 22 years and 14,000miles....

Battery bracket/valve cover location on rear vertical cylinder...and evidence of perished rubber cambelt pulley backing plate....but I've seen worse after 22 years...

Nice ally spacer bush on engine/frame mount....both to be fitted on RHS...and again no washers or flat spacers...

None on the LHS

Valve covers off for valve tolerance/shims adjustment....not been done since I've had the bike.....requires almost a full strip to get to the rear cylinder...as one valve cover wont come off without the rear shock being taken off...and evidently the fairing, tank, tank seat unit...heat baffle...etc etc

LHS crankcase cover being pulled for repaint in black enamel...cant be taken off when its in the bike as a frame rail stops it being removed...so its drop the engine to remove the cover....New Oil Feed Banjo bolts and oil line braided hoses ordered already....next to measure up is brake and clutch lines and offsets...and maybe a nice Oberon "easy pull" clutch slave would be nice...)

All cables now routed through the RHS between top and bottom yoke....

Shiney shiney...top nut off...yoke pulled and middle adjuster

Still liking the Ohlins remote adjuster bracket...milled from solid billet and bolted to tapped holes in the frame....quality...yet understated...as you cant see it when the clothes are back on...only owners and mechanics get to see it really....

Maybe more later.....suns out and about and thats what I have planned for the day...nice trip to the riverside in Chester...been a while since I was last down there..... Cool

Last edited by 2bims on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenmoore wrote:
Wow!

That's what I call a resto!

And what would that be parked beside the 2?

Enjoy your ride tomorrow.

Parked beside the 2?...well its older brother of course.....and younger brothers surround her front and back also... Laughing
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: it all gets worse before it gets better!! Reply with quote

Quote:
I have found one tapped drilled hole at the back of the frame on a cross rail that had nothing fixed to it?
... I'm pretty sure on mine that this is where a 'tab' from the bottom heat shield fixes too or am I looking at the wrong rail?

Interesting re the relocated oil cooler cover and then the Bimota fabricated item made to fit. does it give any advantage ie mounts further back etc or was this a weird cost saver from Bimota?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Welshlamb....yeh....the bottom half sheet of the heat baffle does indeed have a V shaped tab pressed out of it.....and mine is broken off...so presumably that was bolted to it...bit overkill as it fits in 4 other places also and is a real chines puzzle to fit complete with the top plate....that rail on my bike had sponge tape wrapped around that rail in a spiral....presumably to stop either plate rattling against the rail?

Relocated Oil cooler...yeh...on the Ducati the oil cooler is still on the bottom valve cover of the horizontal cylinder....but certainly sits slightly higher...but very close to the back of the front wheel...so Bim have it mounted lower down and further away from the crud of the front wheel.....The relocation of the item is quite neat though to take 2 of the 3 battery box mount fixings...as the battery box has many tabs to fit other items onto it...starter solenoid, fuse box, indicator relay etc.....In that area, the Ducati 900SS has a very large plastic box to take the battery but also includes the Airbox, cover and mounts for the Coils and ignition packs....and to be frank is a pig to fit with all the ancillaries that go with it whilst also fitting it onto the carbs...I prefer the Bimota solution...neater, lighter and less clutter
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up so far 2bims. I'm loving the level of detail that you're putting into the thread. Keep up the good work
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing the valve clearance yourself?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I notice you have replaced the 2 plastic screws that hold the seat tank unit on at the rear, what did you replace them with ( size / length material etc),
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Are you doing the valve clearance yourself?

Could do Brian...as have all the books and manuals and tools for the job...but the engines been farmed out to my local Ducati dealer....New High tensile cylinder head bolts are going in in place of the cheese made originals...and I had a leak on the base gasket of the rear cylinder.....95% of the effort in doing valve clearances on this bike is getting the engine out of the bike...OK..maybe you dont need to take the swingarm off....but everything else has to be disconnected/removed.......and due to that effort I'd rather my local shop does it...and the valve clearances....so I have some form of "comeback"/warranty should there be a future problem/bolt issue/leak...and then I could hopefully just drop the bike with them and they do the 95% effort I've had to do initially......sort of makes sense for the money...and they are only 1 miles away from my home anyhow so quite convenient...
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday Update:-

Thank the Lord I went biking yesterday....Manchester doom, gloom and off/on drizzle all day long....dodging rain showers to complete the stripdown....awaiting last shower of the day whilst watching MotoGP....thats finished but rain isnt so time to update the post.

Just boxing up and labelling the last few removed parts from the bike

Exhaust header collats a little rusty but strong and whole...so a clean up will do with those....the ones on my Ducati pup had rusted to half their original size by comparison...but thats what winter riding for 7 years does to italian steel....

I tried to cable tie off the rear spring to keep it compressed prior to loosenening off the two top lock rings...so I could remove the base ring with the slot in it that pops off the suspension strut...allowing the spring to fall away....but those darn Ohlins springs are way too tightly wound...and dual compression spring has also thwarted by Car spring compressors....so tomorrows task is to beg/steal/borrow/buy proper motorbike spring compressors....I notice that Seeleys do some but it says max height 110mm...which is pants...and would only pull 3 springs together......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-APRIL-SALE-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Kit-with-Case-/180634538417?hash=item2a0ea851b1:m:madg5xgc-8lVwFvtb28eW2A&autorefresh=true

These though look proper the business...I think the sealey ones are for dual shock bikes...not woppers like single shock Ohlins....

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor/

I think 3 at a time may do the job without distorting the spring...and I can line the chucks/keys with rubber so I dont mark the newly powder coated unit once its done....

Been checking and photographing all areas that are powder coated as stock...or left bare...so that I dont forget...and so I can tell the powder coaters...most are obvious...bearing areas etc...some arent so...

couple of welded on nuts on middle tab for rear hugger...as Bimota must have realised the welded on tabs were too thin to hold a decent tap and bolt hold....2 bolts in the middle is a bit excessive though....

Swingarm has a little wear to the underside from chain slap/slack...but really only the powder coat and none of the meat of the CrMo...

Must ensure to keep the ends of the swingarm coat free for the eccentrics...

Also a bit of wear on the chain side to the pinch bolt of the spindle....but only to the "cap" end and not the meat of where the bolt goes...

Compare this to the other side.

And the half moon collats themselves that hold the eccentrics/back wheel in place...there is a casting of "bimota" in there somewhere...but somewhat obliterated by the powder coating...nice thought though...

And these are the highly "offensive" 9mm allen head bolts that hold the swingarm onto its spindle...note no allen key in the end as 9mm allen keys arent commonplace....it goes all the way to 8...then 10 and upwards....only BImota....

These are more "unobtainium" Bimota bolts that hold the top and bottom shock in the frame and swingarm....Note that they are hollow...couldnt figure out why until I shone a torch through them before removing...you can get the straw of penetrating oil through to lubricate the thread before removing....as its not possible otherwise as the shock top and bottom linkages are in the way.....nice thought...if that was the intention....and again...no shims or washers either side like Ducatis have...such is the tolerance on the manufacture...

I checked out the tolerance of the rear swingarm spindle on a worktop and glass window....rolling it around and around and seeing if I could push the tip of a cash till receipt under it anywhere...to check if bent or not...nothing...nowhere...great stuff....and I'll check thickness with verniers later...

Insitu fitment of tried and failed spring compression....

Nylon spacers

Trusty "Kojak" jack and timber decking proving very handy once again.....Must thank my Uncle for his Jack once again...often try borrowing tools from him only for them to either snap, bend, break or have bits missing....I'm sure he has found an alternate Poundland to me called "50p or less"..This Jack of his though is pure quality...lots of kit with it and a joy to use...just pump away...

Speaking of poundland....Ive been using their engine degreaser sprays...and their more "viscious" choke and carb cleaner sprays for "carplan"...and they work wonderously...probably very bad for my health and the environment...but for a pound and the rate I've been going through them I sure cant complain...this is how my chain came out after just one application....then was washed in Fairy washing up....rinsed and then dried on the radiator...ahem...

The above is also noteworthy that its the last time I pay extra for a DID gold link chain...as you can see...after only 500 miles or so of useage theres next to no gold left...pants (and yes...its was like this before my poundland clean up operation...)
Laughing

Backwheel now stored away....nothing to do or see here....move along...

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a few more parts moved away into the clean room....and a section for the powder coaters also...forget one piece and they charge you dear...they much prefer one lot in at a time...and fortunately only 2...well 3 including the spring colour choices for me this time....red frame bits...silver valve covers, yellow shock...

Thats all for me now folks...nearly time for antiques Roadshow.....
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been dodging rain showers...again.....but today was get the spring off the shock for its fresh powder coat....and frame off the headstock...also for powder coating....

Top yoke off....

Remove locking cover plate that screws around the steering stem....a special on this this bike as per the yokes etc as the bike has 51mm after market Paiolis forks fitted....

All looking good so far....

Nice to see evidence of grease on the taper roller bearings...rather than just rust, crud and broken roller bearings....

Wing mirror stays removed for powder coating also...

Now...my plan was....to simply lift off the frame from the headstock....but ruddy bearing inner race was pretty darn tight to the steering tube.........so...despite the best laid plans.......I had to shoot the Db2 dead in its tracks.........

Then remove the special steering damper bracket.....

and the clip ons.....which are Harris units....

Then pull off the frame and lower yoke integral from the forks........and then some judicial bashing the steering stem with a lump hammer and a block of wood....the top bearing came out and the lower fork yoke away from the bike

A quick clean up of the lower yoke...and a nicely turned bottom race set...complete with rubber O ring to keep crud out...and the bearings look good as new....a result

All the remaining bits together

Engine/frame mount bolts looking good also...phew..

Rear shock body still needs a clean...would be nice to get its golden colour back again....

Frame number

And plate...with rivets to be min-dremeled off today...

Rest of the front end put back together to await reinstallation of frame once finished at the powder coaters....Looks quite eerie having 1/3rd of a BImota coming at me from the back of the garage....gives me lots of space in there though...well lots of space for me in my garage that is...

And hey presto...the frame itself in all its brilliance.....

Its a wonder how many tubes and welds and tapped and drilled holes go together to make one of these...

Theres over 33 sections of tubing welded together....some with bends in...and each fillet welded to its neighbour all round...not just tack welded...and then theres over 35 separate holes drilled, tapped and threaded, tabs welded on etc etc.....I think even a complete welder/fabricator would spend a week on one of these from scratch........

Will be a bit of a lull now....as its time to get stuff to the powder coaters and await return.....I have the carbs and fuel pump to clean up though so that will keep me busy........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: