Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Restoration (Episode II - following on from 6 years ago!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And........Just because I always wheel out my bikes backwards from the garage....I've flipped her around to take a few piccies from the other side.....and so that shes ready for her maiden run-out tomorrow...weather permitting...cant be getting her all wet and dirty what with all the work gone into her recently.......

Almost seems a shame to put her clothes back on...getting so used to seeing her naked....ah well...put her bra on first and leave her knick nacks and pants for tomorrow.....also helps to leave them off before a test run to check the oil level afterwards...as with the one piece fairing its a real Faff to get oil back into her when fully clothed........

kenmoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate,

As we say here here in Oz , that is the Ducks Nuts, or should that be Ducs Nuts!

I want an SB2 Bad but I don't like my chances here Down Under.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt mind an Sb2 meself....only that and the KB1....as well as the DB1 of course, are the only Early Bimota era bikes I like.....but being Tamburini bikes (excl the DB1 which was Martini) they are always a pretty penny or 2 no matter where you live......Had someone come up to us at the bike show we do each year this year...enquiring about an SB2 that his mate had....said his mate wanted 5K for it....Evidently I said "sell it to me for 5.5 and make a quick profit"...Nah....I told him the genuine that he should snap it up....but do so to get it running and riding and use it first.......

Last piccies of DB2....been through all my checks now and a quick shake down run.....decided to try dropping the forks a little lower through the yokes....they were already low but knew it was a faff to lift the front end up....turned right onto main road off the drive and nearly dropped it....turned that bloody quick.......So safe to say I've gone back to the original ride height on the front......Got my front paddock stand out...only to find the varied assortment of pop up bolts that fit in the hole under the lower yoke had not one the right size......So delved through the garage and my head....how to lift the front end up and be able to undo the yoke clamps and drop the forks back down???/

Looked at my step ladders and thought about ratchet straps...so that was the way...pop up the back on a paddock stand and winch up the front end under the frame rails just behind the steering stem....worked a treat....

Fairing fitted and last of electrics tested, brake light, lights and indicators.....and adjusting of levers, controls switchgear to clear fairing lock to lock....couldnt get full left lock for some reason back to bumpstop on frame.....then realised the steering damper across the headstock was hitting inside the fairing...so clamp bracket duly adjusted and all good now....bring on the Summer......

Hope you've enjoyed the resto and posts fellows....all done for me now....so whos next??? Cool
brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how I missed these updates... I haven't noticed anything since before you got the engine back Shocked .

DB2 is looking fantastic mate. I love your attention to detail. The painted lettering on the engine cases is spot on.

Nice carbon heel guard too Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs by Allens Performance... I've bought a fair few FCR parts from Dave at Allens myself over the last year or so. Very helpful chap
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you didn't really touch the bodywork on this resto but it's worth a mention... It still looks superb Steve. Love the scheme and the paint quality looks A1.

I must say, I do love the 2 piece bodywork of the 90's Bimotas. The tank/ seat units look fantastic. My SB6 and DB4 have similar style one piece tank/ seat unit and the are gorgeous. Just a shame about the front/ side fairing on the DB4... Crap quality and really lets the bike down Crying or Very sad
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice 2bims, and just in time for the last decent days of summer.
Will look nice at the M/C show in the spring !!
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how long your OCD will allow you to keep that twisted K&N Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Brian, you bitch !!!! that's you off the Christmas card list !!!!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Just wondering how long your OCD will allow you to keep that twisted K&N Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

Had thought about them....they come with a lifetime guarantee...and I have latterly untwisted it a bit....the filter material and mesh are still good....could do with tapered ones really as they are twisted so that they fit in the available space under the tank cover...tight squeeze under there
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Bimota DB2 restoration Reply with quote

Steve,

As a newbie here, I thoroughly enjoyed your restoration work on your DB2. It was the DB1 and 2 that really got me interested in Ducati and Bimota. The work you did is a credit to you, your patience...and wallet... Laughing

Re: your comment on the K&N filters. I was wondering why they were so tall and if you could either get away with shorter cylindrical filters, tapered cone filters or perhaps Uni Pod foam filters.

On my '93 750SS, I switched to the Uni Pods as clearance between the FCRs and the rear frame cross member was too tight for the K&Ns and my Carbon Fiber air tray.

Keep up the great work!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers QuickDuk.....I did a "light resto" on her some 6 years ago to get her back on the road and roadworthy after she'd been laid up for over 6 years in an underground carpark...as I'd never ridden a bimota first so it was at first, minimal stuff to get her running and safe...minimal being all new rubber, fuel lines, bearings, brake, C&S sprockets etc....and years later finding a snapped rear cylinder head stud meant engine out and apart...so contiuned with frame re-powder coated etc etc to finish what I;d started some year earlier.......

I still like the K&N mesh filters that sandwich the filter material and have had no problmes with them....I've heard of "fake" K&N foam filters catching fire, or deterioating and allowing filter material into the carbs......tapered cone ones would be better but I still feel that the layered zigzag weave of the existing allows more filter material and more air to come through than either of the other types....

If you like restos then heres one I did earlier on a 1991 white framed 900ss....

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1611&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I spy a DB6 in your icon.....Thoughts? I have a DB6R and love it...very practical and comfy hooligan bike...just the seat thats a bit short and can give pain after 90 miles or so...fortunately around the time that it needs more fuel and a rest...
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that is my new to me 2007 DB6. It has some carbon, a dual Zard carbon/ss exhaust, a LiPo battery (EarthX), some ASV levers, a custom license plate (BIMOTA6) and a TransLogic digital dash.

The seat is short and a pain right around fill up time as I am 6'-0". I really like the bike and it has plenty of power. I am an ex-racer so going blindingly fast (towards my own demise???) isn't of much interest to me anymore... Laughing

Besides, if I want to go fast, I can ride my son's 1198 with the 70mm full Termi system and race ECU.

I was considering a low low mileage 2014 Aprilia Duorsoduro with a full Acro exhaust...but I am a Ducatisti through and through and my "common sense" (?) got the better of me and I stuck to my guns and bought the DB6.

Yay me. Now if I can only convince the DW that I "need" to feed this Italian habit some more... Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few DB6's who have had the front nose cone painted...and the indicator bodies and the front guard....can look OK...and can make the front end stand out...half way down this post is a DB6 thats had the nose cone and indicators painted...and front guard......theres also a company that makes Carbon fibre versions of the headlight/nose cone....

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

What shiney light parts are you considering?
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture here of someone who seems to have grafted on a Db5 rear end...that could have had the end cans underneath...and then lengthened the standard DB6 seat to fit...cant yet find any company though that offers this...

http://euve63491.serverprofi24.net/img/uploaded/trade/?id=3982441&idm=b6a03b81e303193d7c39cad379cba62a.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: