Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 bimota stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: DB2 bimota stand Reply with quote

I have just received a factory type rear wheel stand for my DB2fe from classic Bimota spares, slight problem the spindle on the stand is too big to go through the hole in the rear wheel axle!!!, the item on the classic Bimota site says it fits all Bimotas, does it fit them all except the DB2? or is there another factory stand for the DB2?
MRLost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Just to be clear, the shop stand spindles don't fit into the "hole" where the axle is but rather into one of the three (any one of the three) holes in the eccentric chain-adjuster. Those holes are used to fit the chain adjuster tool that you need to turn the eccentric and tighten or loosen the chain.

If that's what you mean when you write the spindle is too big to go through the hole in the rear wheel axle, then carefully measure a hole in the eccentric (they are all the same) and take the spindles to a machine shop and have the shop turn the spindles down on a lathe. Mine are like 11mm. Easy job for a machinist with a lathe. Shouldn't cost much or take long.

Is that clear? A photo would explain all but I haven't quite got the gist of posting photos.
1994 over-the-top Italian super-sport thriller
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DB2 bimota stand Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
I have just received a factory type rear wheel stand for my DB2fe from classic Bimota spares, slight problem the spindle on the stand is too big to go through the hole in the rear wheel axle!!!, the item on the classic Bimota site says it fits all Bimotas, does it fit them all except the DB2? or is there another factory stand for the DB2?

Did you mention to Paolo that it was for a DB2? Presumably you Mean BimotaClassicParts in Italy?

DB2...like DB1.....doesnt take those stands...as you need an exisiting permanent path of a hollow spindle for the rod of the stand to go through...and DB'2 dont have that...as they have a cap on either end of the concentrics....DB2's need a specific DB2 stand that has push pins either side that locate in the eccentric turn holes........Maybe Paolo has seen the eccentrics and thought...Ah...same as YB series...but those bikes with their bigger engines although having eccentrics...they also had hollow spindles that take the normal rod that comes with the stands

The spare parts manual is also wrong unfortunately...BImota just cut and pasted a normal stand in the spare parts book....Never seen a genuine DB2 rear stand for sale anywhere
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too late to mention now to you Rich....but I would implore EVERYONE that is on here to consult on here if buying parts from BCP...save for say a bolt or such.....if we dont know the answer as owners of all the BImotas then no-one does....models change during production, from model to model...and bike to bike....we've all made mistakes buying parts so have learnt by error....its not the first time I've heard of BCP sending parts/spares that were meant to fit...but havent.....Theres owners of EVERY Bimota ever made bar the HB1 on this Forum...and it should be the first port of call.....Even Bimotas with hollow spindles sometimes require a specific stand as they have wider back wheels than some over models and require a wider stand....Lammie has 6 YB's yet a couple require a specific stand that doesnt fit on the others....

In Paolos part defence.....he cant possibly build up the full spread of knowledge needed...and if he consulted the spare parts book for the DB2 he would find a stand similar to what he has sent...presumably plain tubular steel with a solid steel rod that pushed through holes at the top of the stand?....>Theres lots wrong in Bimotas Owners manuals, workshop manuals and spare parts diagrams....they were intended for dealers in the Mainpart and not owners...DB2 workshop manual shows the front sprocket on the right hand side of the bike...as the image for the LHS where it actually is...was printed in reverse...and evidently they didnt proof read a draft copy before going to print...as is true with most of their ...documentation...Its as if the Local Italian Office cleaner was the one person with best grasp of the english language and she knocked up the manuals in her tea break.....

The stands were always "just" a packing crate item for shipping to keep the bike upright...and thus not all owners received them as dealers kept them for other bikes, showroom bikes...and owners often dont pass them on either when they sell the bike...
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and info, I will certainly consult the forum for anything and everything in the future before buying spares etc. I did ask the question to BCP if the stand fitted the DB2 along with a question about the mirrors they are selling at the moment and didn't get a NO answer!!. Guess I will have to contact him about returning the stand!!. He is selling the parts on e bay now and it seems easier and the prices work out cheaper than buying from the actual BCP site,
Cheers
Rich.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its the standard Bimota stand like this ? If so you might be best trying to sell it on here as by the time you pay return post on it , BCP takes the postage costs off , you lose on the exchange rate etc its worth next to nothing.

2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
Thanks for the replies and info, I will certainly consult the forum for anything and everything in the future before buying spares etc. I did ask the question to BCP if the stand fitted the DB2 along with a question about the mirrors they are selling at the moment and didn't get a NO answer!!. Guess I will have to contact him about returning the stand!!. He is selling the parts on e bay now and it seems easier and the prices work out cheaper than buying from the actual BCP site,
Cheers
Rich.

As Vort says....offer it within the UK...unless BCP are going to stomach the postage costs sending to you and sending back to him....but for some others when theres been a mistake he hasnt done this....so best to ask first.....Are you after mirrors for a DB2?? As yes...they are different on the DB2 in having 2 holes in the mirrors for 2 bolts....and not 2 brass pins to fit in lug clips and one central hole...just another difference in DB2's as opposed to other bims....think I have a spare set suitable for a DB2....
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich, If you are unabe to adapt the stand to suit your DB2 I may be interested in it for my latest acquisition, patience 2bims, photos will be posted soon! Will nip into the garage to measure up and get back to you asap.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YB9's arent that wide at the back....so even if the stand was a smaller one it should fit....and a hollow spindle and not eccentrics on the "new acquisitition"...so should be just fine Laughing
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps, ive been in touch with Paolo, he is going to send me 2 pins (the ones I think you were referring to 2bims) and I'm going to send the long bar back to him, he apologised for the mix up, so I will wait and see!.If it doesn't happen I will message you Paul. I did think of another way to utilize the stand , that was to find another bike it would fit as in buy another!!!, from looking at the forum members there don't seem to be many with only one Bimota. Only one problem getting that passed my better half!. Anyway hopefully Paolo will come up with the goods and save me the problem
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the mirrors. I was looking at them as spares while there were some available, they always look vulnerable to me!!. I take it from your description Steve that the ones on BCP wont be suitable? or can you remove the brass pins then use them?
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Rich, no problem. I am not in any great hurry so I will wait to see if Paolo can sort things out for you Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
Forgot the mirrors. I was looking at them as spares while there were some available, they always look vulnerable to me!!. I take it from your description Steve that the ones on BCP wont be suitable? or can you remove the brass pins then use them?

BCP does show the more standard mirror on his website, as fitted to DB4, Vdue, YB11, SB6 and others....and does list DB2 within the description....But...unless yours are different from standard...the DB2 has 2 CrMo arms bolted to the headlight subframe assembly...with 2 holes in each...through which 2 allen headed bolts bolt straight through into 2 holes in the mirrors.....thus the mirrors normally have no protruberances in them at all....on DB4 etc on the back of the bodywork is riveted 2 push fit brass spring clips that hold the ball of the brass pins...and one central bolt.........the "standard" mirrors can be modded by cutting a thread on the brass pins and then you simply put nuts on the back to hold them in place...bit of a faff though....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a quick look and try with one of my spare brass pin Bimota mirrors...I would say that the brass pins are bonded/glued in place....I've tried to turn one with a spanner but the plastic was flexing...indicating they are bonded in and not screwed in....
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking Steve. This bimota parts searching is very involved and confusing, I think ive got lots to learn!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: