Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Alternative petcock to replace fuel reserve switch on YB10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Alternative petcock to replace fuel reserve switch on YB10 Reply with quote

Some of you may already seen my postings about installing the fuel filter in my YB10. I received the bike with reserve switch deleted and replaced by a 2out petcock of dubious quality. The worst of it is that the outlets face at a completely wrong angle making fuel line plumbing that much more complex.

I would appreciate an advice on a petcock that would work in the place of the reserve switch. I'm sure there had to be one for at least racing applications.

When I had the current petcock out, I forgot to measure diameter of the inlet tube. Anyone knows off hand? I'm also thinking of contacting Pingel with dimensions to see if they have anything I can use.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after spending weeks searching the internet and browsing various forums as well as spending $$ on Pingel petcock which required modifications and was a bit too large for the tight space in the Dieci's underbelly I came across Acerbis universal petcocks. These are cheap, about $16 ea and the quality is nowhere near Pingel's but they fit without major modifications

Another great feature besides the fit is that they have a screw on mesh filter tube that encloses the inlet tube. Had I come across these in the beginning I probably wouldn't have bothered with an external fuel filter. As things stand now, I'll have double filtration - first through the fine mesh of the petcock filters inside the tank and through the external Pingel 2 into 1 filter.

The tank was full of crud. I filled it with water/Dawn solution and let it sit for 4 days. Draining today I was wondering how the seller of my bike missed this one - there was enough crud coming out to plant a garden. The tank is generally clean but there a few small areas that remained so off to the professional tank cleaning place.

Oh, I did say that the petcocks fit without major mods - the right opening (the side closest to the fuel pump) was too narrow for the tube to pass. The tube filter can be unscrewed from the petcock leaving the intake tube exposed, thus bolting right up. Since I like symmetry, I will enlarge the right opening in the bottom of the tank to accept the filter tube.

I'm hoping and wishing to get the Dieci on the road by next weekend. Now, if I only can find a clutch case cover for the SB8R....
2004 BMW R11S BCR
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found a solution. I'm a little confused though.

The taps are not accessible when all fairings and tank are fitted. Why not blank off the 'main' fuel take off and have one pipe from the reserve tap?

The reserve on these are normally operated by a solenoid. The bike will cough and splutter when running out of fuel on 'main' then push the button on the dash to active the reserve and allow you to reach a petrol station to fill up.

With your new setup the reserve tube will always be feeding the carbs, so..... when that runs dry the tank is empty. Smile
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's just it, Laminator. I received the bike with the reserve solenoid and switch removed. The seller played it off like its no big deal and really for me it isn't as long as the odometer is working. I have a 100 mile rule - I fill up every 100 miles when riding.

The issues that I personally had were a) there was no inline fuel filter, b) the petcocks were garbage and c) tank was full of crud. The good thing is that I went from 0 fuel filters to three: 2 inside the tank and one external. I'm not out of the woods yet. I still have to see how the carbs will perform. Hopefully installing the filters will address the issue and get me riding again. But I'm afraid that the carbs would need to come out for thorough cleaning.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbs can be tricky to remove and replace. I made myself a tool to tighten the clips. I cut an Allen key down and welded it to a length of stainless rod to give enough reach.

The carbs cannot be balanced while fitted to the bike as far as I know. Using the bench method is the only way I know. I'd check your idle jets if you remove your carbs, they have the smallest orific and effect low running revs and starting.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To get the carbs on and off mine I bought a long (2'+) flexible drive so I could use a small allen key bit in it. Do the 2 r/h carbs passing the tool under the frame on the left, and vice versa.

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modified the tank so that both petcock assemblies with filter tubes fit perfect. Still need to have tank properly cleaned.

Thank you for the heads up on the carbs. Although I am certain that I can remove and install them, I am not so sure I'll be able to dial them in properly. Some things are best left to the pros.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: