Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Using A Ducati Engine Computer on their YB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotabob

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Using A Ducati Engine Computer on their YB Reply with quote

Hey has anyone managed to get a Ducati sourced fuel injection computer to work on their YB4EI YB8Ei (Furano) or YB6 (Tuatara)?

The information is gold If you have Smile
Ducati computers are fairly cheap and available.

Theres almost no information online about whats special about the Weber Marelli P7 computers run on these bikes, i have looked high and low for any joy.
Type in IAW041 on google, the whole planet cannot help you.
I have a Furano which has the P7 called a IAW041 model. If anyone can check the YB4 or Tuatara have the IAW041 that would be good to confirm what I suspect.

The issue is the Ducati models have the P7 but its called a IAW043.
I have both here as of today and a can see some differences on the PCB.
The Ducati one does NOT make the Yamaha engine ignite but the fuel pump does come on as normal and theres no smoke or anything, its close to being the same as basically the PCB itself is the same and most of the components but maybe not all.
So DONT waste your cash buying a new one like I did, people say they are the same but they are not. I had to be sure.
I'm thinking the Weber marelli engineers made changes to the Yamaha engined computers specially for Bimota but of course everything is impossible to know for sure why and what was done unless you know someone who worked there 20+ years ago and speaks Italian too I guess.

The reason we need to figure this out is if your computer fails on your Yamaha engined Bimotas what do you do?
I'm not sure if you can actually source an IAW041 from anyone and if you could it would be horrendously priced.
Ripping it all off and fitting carbs is about your best choice and its painful and if you wanted FCR's then its also very expensive.

I'm going to see if I can work out exactly what is different but I'm not an electrical engineer so its really hard work. If theres anyone clued up with that sort of thing please advise
BB
who

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought they were pretty much the same, both engines are essentially two cylinders, and all that would be required is a chip re-flash?
bimotabob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did I and so did the people that sold me the new ECU.
Its all assumption and not based on viewing the 2 computers side by side or trying it out

And so i tell the community for future references to be aware of this.

However the good news is I believe the Ducati later release IAW043 can be made to work and I will report back on this when my one fails.
I work in R & D at a manufacture along side software developers and my supervisor is our PCB and firmware designer so i'm well placed to figure this out.
I showed him both and he said it should be able be configured to work in theory.
I checked the PCB numbering as per his instructions and its the same meaning the layers should be identical and most of the chips are correct - including the processor.
I could only speculate but I would suggest the differences as viewed on the board are 0 ohm config links being moved around but with no information being released outside the factory i would have to study this more to understand what their positioning does.
I dont have a Bimota wiring diagram of the injection to compare with Ducati or Motoguzzi as an external comparison so we could be sure the pins all work the same on the big connector but i know its at least mostly similar operations wise. The using of the Yamaha crank positioning would be my best guess at a fundamental change over the other machines but then the firmware on the EEPROM chip should have the relationship between the crank and cam sensors written in the code which is specific to Bimota. I dont know how it works, no one wants the public to know. I wish I knew what the piddly 8kb firmware and maps was telling the processor! IAW041 is the computer that no one except a Bimota owner has seen, even engine tuners i talked too presumed thay were all the same (as in the P7 series)

My suggestion at this stage is to keep an eye out for cheap ones like i did for $100USD NOS and keep fingers crossed about a link swapping crossover mod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: