Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Thinking about buying a DB6???????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb8rs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Thinking about buying a DB6??????? Reply with quote

Guys,

I am thinking about buying a DB6, however I am unsure of the models available and the differences between them.

Plus from current owners what I should be looking out for, Pro's and Con's.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhmmmmm....I thought you had a sit on my DB6R when it was at Crankies and you decided the saddle was a bit short for your Derriere?...Which they are....Although I see some folk in Italy are fitting a new seat unit on them which makes it a monoposto and has a longer single seat unit....doing away with the underseat exhausts and having a single side pipe instead.....They are all a delight to ride...makes you into a bit of a nutter with the tall wide bars and riding position being truly "in" the bike and not on it.....seat does give a bit of a pain in the coxiss after about 90 miles....relieved by needing to fill up at 100-110 miles anyhow........

Not much to choose between them really......all but maybe 10 of them come with Marzocchis up front which are set Very hard as standard...and ExtremeTec rears...again set hard.......the ten I mention that arent are a very late R version in white with red/green pinstriping and has Ohlins front and rear....very hard to come by though and get snapped up quickly...

Early models had 1000cc motors and wet clutch and pegaso ECU's and white tacho speedos...know to have issues with fueling and glitches at 4-5thou....and Bimota do a ECU switch and clocks for when they go wrong changing to the later version Walbro ECU's and Koso clocks.....

These later models have Koso clocks and 1079cc dual spark motors and walbro ECU's as standard...Bimota upgrade is over 1000 euros though and fit yourself......

Down to colour scheme and whether a standard Delirio or a Delirio "R" version....Not much between them though.....R versions have more carbon bits...winglets with the tricolor flag in carbon, carbon front guard instead fo painted fibreglass...carbon side panles under tank, carbon under clocks, dry exposed carbon clutch cover with slipper clutch (not worth it though IMHO)...usually an upgraded more blingey ExtremeTech rear shock.....different lighter silver wheels with "solid" brembo SS discs as opposed to wavey braking discs F&R..only useful extra on the R is the extreme tech steering damper which is useful...bike gets a bit twitchy and wandering at speed when windy without a damper fitted (have owned both, with and without damper)........arrow titanium open cans are nice...but V loud without bafffles...expensive to buy new though if not already fitted...save a ton in weight though over the original almost cast iron units...Oh the R has a carbon fibre rear light/reg plate unit also and carbon fibre cam belt covers...all versions have carbon fibre sprocket cover and rear "hugger"...all 3 inch long piece of art that it is.....Lovely bikes though....no protection but capable of blatting over to europe with a tank bag...just have to hold on thats all......
sb8rs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims, exactly what I was after, appreciated.

My days of extreme sports bikes are over I think, so I am looking for an easier riding position. A la DB3, DB6 or DB9.

As you know I have a DB3, I have also looked at a DB9, but in all honesty far too powerful for a "naked" bike.

My Mantra does an extremely good job and was a revelation on our recent trip to Spain, but I feel a few more horses would be good.

So my thoughts are

1. buying a DB6 (yes poor seating arrangements)
2. or putting a later twin spark engine in the Mantra.

Now there is a thought, has it been done before?????
Is it worth doing?????

Or should I try a ZTK Nuda?

Comments anyone?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent ridden a DB9 but used to have a DB7 with same engine...and all the power is at the top end of all the gears....and I just didnt take to it hence moving it on.....DB6 sure is enough real world power....But....and heres a route....I'd say it was the same power as my Db2 which has the same engine as the Mantra...although my Db2 is a 944cc big bore kit, stage 2 cams, VeeTwo pistons, Keihin FCR41 flatslides with K&N cone filters...which is dyno'd at 95bhp at the back wheel....same as Db6.....you may think its less useable or rougher with the tune...but it idles better and is smoother after being gas flowed and polished head etc than a standard 900ss motor.......A mantra so suitably equipped but be a Wolf in Ahem....a sheep in drag queen clothing....?

DB6 does feel a lot bigger in stature and ride than a DB3 but is the likely successor from the Bimota family...50mm forks....Big brakes and a very solid put together feel
sb8rs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good call.
I know this is sad, but to have a "wolf" in "drag Queen" clothing sounds good.
However I would assume I would have to lose the four exhausts???
I shall investigate further.
Thanks
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just need to open the 4 cans up that's all....barrels and heads and headers could stay the same....as 944 kits are bored out barrels....cheaper still for more bang for less buck is high comp pistons, and fcr39 flatslides...or mikunis....I'm sure with some fiddling a twinspark 1078engine would fit though you'd have to sleeve down the swinging arm spindle in the engine to still fit the db3 Swingarm...and check it's location Re the frame mounting bolts etc etc...also the heads are taller on the ds motor...and then there's fitting the ducati ecu and wiring loom....and the Rev counters are now electronic....so only speedo with extra drive cable could be kept... As there is no cable driven tachograph pickup on the horizontal cylinders anymore....and you couldn't ever ditch the faux walnut dash.....high comp, flatslides, k and n cones and baffles removed would be the way...I quite like the sound of a Wolf in drag Queen clothing also....and there's that 3grand mantra on ebay UK at the moment....

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb8rs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much deliberation the Mantra will stay as she is.
So back to the DB6 idea.
2bims you say that a few people in Italy have changed the rear seat unit.
Could provide a link or advise the best place to be able to see these changes.
Thanks
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: DB6 Reply with quote

2bims,

Do you have either a link or pictures of the monoposto seat arrangement you mentioned? I know Carbon Dream makes a carbon cowling to cover the passenger pillion (sim to my '93 750SS) but would like something cleaner.

FWIW, I purchased a very low mileage 2007 DB6 recently (from an owner who also had the R version) and after a few rides, I can definitely say that yes the seat is barely comfortable as it locks you in with no rearward movement. I also need to figure out where to set the forks and shock re: rebound and compression damping as well as spring preload and sag. I weigh around 190-195 with gear (14-14.5 stone?) so any help with settings for my weight is greatly appreciated.

I also want to install a steering damper but have had no luck finding the Extreme Tech including the machined handlebar clamp/mount. Do you also have a link for that part? I can get a similar one from Matris and if I cant get the clamp/mount, I may need to beg the prior owner to borrow his to have a copy made.

Thanks in advance as you are a wealth of knowledge here on this forum.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: DB6 Reply with quote

I had also thought about purchasing an aftermarket slipper clutch like the R version has but have not decided on the make yet. Some are around $450-$650 US that use the existing basket and plates while others go from $1200-$2600!!!

Does anyone here have a preference for a manufacturer re: the slipper clutch and reasons why (past problems with a particular brand, great or crappy operation, etc.)?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DB6 Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
2bims,

Do you have either a link or pictures of the monoposto seat arrangement you mentioned? I know Carbon Dream makes a carbon cowling to cover the passenger pillion (sim to my '93 750SS) but would like something cleaner.

FWIW, I purchased a very low mileage 2007 DB6 recently (from an owner who also had the R version) and after a few rides, I can definitely say that yes the seat is barely comfortable as it locks you in with no rearward movement. I also need to figure out where to set the forks and shock re: rebound and compression damping as well as spring preload and sag. I weigh around 190-195 with gear (14-14.5 stone?) so any help with settings for my weight is greatly appreciated.

I also want to install a steering damper but have had no luck finding the Extreme Tech including the machined handlebar clamp/mount. Do you also have a link for that part? I can get a similar one from Matris and if I cant get the clamp/mount, I may need to beg the prior owner to borrow his to have a copy made.

Thanks in advance as you are a wealth of knowledge here on this forum.

Hi Duk...I've never found an Italian company that sells the single seat unit...but have seen a couple of DB6's for sale in Italy with ones that have been fitted...complete with ditching the underseat exhausts and fitting a 2:1 unit with side swept rear can on the RHS....Ill look see if I can find one again....it sort of looks like they have fitted a DB5 seat unit and rear cowl...and I can confirm that the DB5 has more room front-back and is at least comfy inbetween fill-ups.

I have a friend that has a Matrix sd fitted to his DB6...comes with a replacement ignition/steering lock piece made to same quality and look as standard DB6..and bracket to attach to handlebars...having ridden a standard DB6 and an R version...yeh...the damper makes a world of difference when its windy as the bike is quite tall...stops any meandering at speed when windy......

Front Marzzocchis are very stiff at standard setting...so its best to set preload properly, sag when not on bike and when on bike.....and then back off rebound and compression to lowest setting and start from there....they are still firm but a good improvement can be made from factory settings....same goes with ExtremeTech rear shock...but they are generally oversprung no matter what the weight....try setting "sag" front and rear to at least 35mm on either end to begin with....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DB6 Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
I had also thought about purchasing an aftermarket slipper clutch like the R version has but have not decided on the make yet. Some are around $450-$650 US that use the existing basket and plates while others go from $1200-$2600!!!

Does anyone here have a preference for a manufacturer re: the slipper clutch and reasons why (past problems with a particular brand, great or crappy operation, etc.)?

From my side.....at least....I'd say Dont bother....waste of money.....if you are a track day wizard and go racing then yeh sure....the ability to crunch the gears down 3 at a time without locking the back wheel up prior to cranking it over in a bend is a good thing.....But.......day to day riding....the bikes just dont get off the line with a slipper clutch....try high revs...and I'm only talking 2-3 thou...and slipping the clutch for a quick getaway...and the slipper kicks in, cuts drive and either embarassingly leaves you po-going off the line like you've filled up with kangaroo juice...or it stalls itslef and cuts the engine.........I've a DB5R and DB6R...both came with Bimota branded "stm" slipper clutches...and I have to adapt my riding style every time I get on them and still get it wrong sometimes forgetting and then getting embarassed at traffic lights....even stops you pulling out from junctions with gaps in traffic that you know you can manage.....its defo "Driving Miss Daisy" on EVERY start from stationary until the wheels are turning and then you're ok..........

And then ...storming up to junctions, bends, roundabouts, you drop down a cog or two and start with the braking ....anticipating the famed Ducati engine braking to come into effect and further aid lowing down...but nope....slipper clutch cuts in and reduces engine braking severely...meaning again you get it wrong as more actual brakes are needed earlier and with more force......The only "BONUS" I CAN SAY....is if you become lazy and find yourself 2-3 gears too high...and then you know that you can hack down through the gearbox without fear of the back wheel locking....but with a Duc engine just when would you be any more than one gear out of where you should be???

I've heard said same from owners of Multstradas and Panigales...who bought the bikes with them fitted but wish they werent....and the bugbear is "getting off the line"...clutch slipping at med to high revs is a complete No No...slipper kicks in and cuts drive...simple as

Evidently just my opinion...and that of a couple of mates also with DB5R and Db6R...the loss of a quick getaway at the lights being sorely missed...
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims,

Thanks for the slipper clutch insight. I will therefore focus on the steering damper and more carbon, possibly painting the front fairing as well as adding some of the red to the tail section too and then there are some billet aluminum and titanium bits that have caught my eye.

The tail section may be a combination of parts as I want to keep the under seat exhaust (major Ducati/Italian thing that I like a lot).

I'll also start dialing in the suspension a bit. I'll track the progress and notes for all and post with results.

Regards,
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly....the Twin Exhausts under the seat is more of a Bimota thing than a Ducati one.....The Bimota DB2 was launched in 1993...and reported as the first bike to have a front cylinder exhaust exiting under the rear seat unit....the first Ducati having this was the 916 launched in 1994...Evidently RG500, RZ500 and NS400's also had underseat exhausts...but only from the rear facing clylinders...the front facing cylinders had side exhausts.......Bimota achieved this by offsetting the rear shock to one side to allow room for the pipes to pass up from under the engine to the rear seat unit.....Something done today by the Panigale...offset shock that is....although IMHO with a bit less thought and style.....Just a bit of history...
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with 2bim's, for a DB6 on the road can't really see the point of the slipper clutch.
I have them on my DB5R/6R and 7. They squeal like a pig when trying to get drive from the lights and other than on the 7 are of no real use.
DB7 I would take with or without as there are advantages either way , but I can see the point of them at the sort of speed that you can throw that into a corner !! Shocked

Steering dampers, I have 2 different types , and extreme tech and the matris one. The Matris one is a nice peice of kit .
Standard extreme tech grey/black shock is not great, over damped and weak spring , you can twiddle it all you want but never seemed to make any difference on my DB6, red/silver DB6R one does not seem much better. Marzzocchi forks are very firm and seem to need a lighter spring . I also have a Matris shock and fork internals for my 6R but not got around to fitting them yet. Will hopefully feel an improvement when I fit and will let you know.
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims and vort28,

Thanks for the history as well as info re: both the slipper clutch and damper. I am leaning towards the Matris and if I like it but not the handlebar clamp, I'll arrange to make one from the prior owner's DB6R.

Re: the forks and shock, I am going to check with Race Tech as they have a good handle on how to make these work and they are local.

I'll see if I can get spring rates and settings from the manual and then see what is out there in the aftermarket to tweak them a bit more to my liking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: