Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Cleaning out dry clutch -- MDI Carbon cover installed pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
driift

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Cleaning out dry clutch -- MDI Carbon cover installed pics Reply with quote

Pretty much have went through the the bike now. I found a company that has carbon fiber clutch covers and recall reading that the vdue collects build up debris and can overheat if ran enough and they really needed open clutch.

Prior to removing the cover I figured I would get some tips on what I should do to give a proper clean up inside. Is just a blast of air from the compressor adequate or how should I go about cleaning it up? Thanks.

Last edited by driift on Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a place in the USA that is doing the carbon covers? Started off from someone on here getting them to make one and then they got a few orders...vented star shape...or they would do a slash cut open version.....

Clutch needs taking apart to clean out really....no special tools or expertise needed though....remove clutch cover...after removing fairings and Carbon airbox...as theres a bolt covered by the airbox....then take the 6 bolts and springs and caps off, pull clutch cover pressure plate...then systematically pull off and pack up friction plates and steel plates, keeping the order the same....blowing/cleaning each one....if you've a standard clutch you should find the friction material is "one piece" a whole circle on each plate and not blocks with grooves in....its this design that stops used friction material from exiting the plates...and contaminates the plates.....depending on use it can be quite clogged in there
bannrikae

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to clean mine recently as it was slipping and 2bims description is spot on. I did also rough up the friction plates a little with some 600 grit emery paper, not sure if that was needed though.

I have also been looking at the carbon fiber clutch covers, I wonder how much they would help?

Brian
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bannrikae wrote:
I had to clean mine recently as it was slipping and 2bims description is spot on. I did also rough up the friction plates a little with some 600 grit emery paper, not sure if that was needed though.

I have also been looking at the carbon fiber clutch covers, I wonder how much they would help?

Brian

They would help with the noise and the "factory race" look...if nothing else....the slash cut versions have the cut out in the front so can scoop air in to cool...and as one bolt is missing from the cover...maybe the airbox doesnt have to come off to service the clutch.....

When pulling out the clutch plates....as they are steel...I use 2 small magnets, one each side to help extract them easily rather than prodding around with a screwdriver...makes it a doddle
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and the clutch pressure plate (the round silver thing)...should have a little triangle indicator arrow on the outside edge front face...this should go back on in its same location...usually one of the locator posts has a slot on it (visible when you have taken the 6 bolts out and the springs and caps and washers)...it should line up with this slotted post.....thats if it was put on the right way to start with...sometimes when taking out the 5mm I think button cap bolts..it may unscrew the odd post also....dont worry...you can still extract and when all plates are out...take the post off the offending bolt and loctite it back in place before putting the plates, pressure plate, springs and bolts and cap and washer back in place....
Weed

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to the carbon fibre clutch covers that a member was getting made?
mm500

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the open cf cover from MDI for over 3 months now!
mm500

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the open cf cover from MDI for over 3 months now!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
What ever happened to the carbon fibre clutch covers that a member was getting made?

I first tried a Bimota dealer in Germany...who had one made for his Vdue...but they were dear, and not willing to discount for bulk purchase.......

Then the company in America was making them, MDI....and they offered a star pattern one...and then someone felt that a slash cut open one would be better...and they made that...then the impetuous nature of 2-stroke owners meant that people were ordering direct to procure one quick quick...and I've had the advertised item "saved" in my watch list on ebay...but I now note that they havent re-listed it....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281908502162?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=580882862944&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now though I see that the Company has Zero Ebay listings...so that doesnt bode well.....seems like "another one bites the dust..."... Sad
bimotanige

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just run without one, no build up and never had a slipping problem with standard clutch pack in 5000 miles.
Weed

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update 2bims
driift

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one from MDI here locally near me in California. Will post up pics once I have it in hand and on the bike. MDI carbon is about 40 miles away, would be happy to assist anyone needing help from this side of the pond.

Tim
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...they are still around are they? Good to know...post up if they make and send you one
bannrikae

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them a message on Ebay on Wednesday asking if they have any more for sale, no reply so far Crying or Very sad
driift

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. So eagerly anticipating my carbon clutch cover that ships today I removed the closed factory clutch cover and about a teaspoon of oil, looks old was trapped in there. Now I will assume this is a smart clutch bike lol. Why would I have some oil in the housing? Any ideas where it would be coming from? Sure doesn't look like my new oil I just put in 300v 10-40. Thoughts ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: