Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Thrilled to introduce my new DB1...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratos23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Thrilled to introduce my new DB1... Reply with quote

Hello from New Zealand! I've been looking forward to being able to legitimately join this forum having trawled it for info for a few years now.

So finally after 20 years of dreaming, I now have a DB1 in the shed (amongst a collection of other similar Italian stablemates). As #404, it was sold new by Ian Gownaloch of Itlaspares Australia but has spent most of its life in NZ and is still very original (supposedly the last one here with original paint). Being a bit of a fanatic on the history of things, I'm keen to know more about how many DB1's were sold down under - or even of anyone might know anything about #404? Perhaps we should start some sort of register?

I'm also fixing up a few little gripes and wondered if anyone knows where I might get a FUEL LEVEL SENSOR from (part#210000153) - or what other models might use the same part?

Kind Regards...
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum....and Congrats on your purchase.....On here is the really only "official" register for current ownership of Bimotas...and yours is missing from the list...which is a good sign...at least there isnt a clone around somewhere...

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_db_en.html

and it shows that No. 529 is also in NZ....think that someone on here in NZ has one....

Part number isnt showing as being in stock at BimotaClassicParts in Italy.....most go "awol" over time and we just fill up and zero trip meter and refill at 100miles or so....maybe theres a part number on it or name...Paioli do a few parts...or search early duc stuff...Have you tested the light in the dash??

Spare pArts manual is here

http://www.sfogliami.it/flip.asp?sc=5hbl9ofivqjerrijhgdjtmk1jc5kcse5&ID=117560#page/72

But I also have it and the Original Sales brochure available to be sent via email if you'd like....just pm me your email address and I'll send them on...Of course "forum rules" now prevail that you have to post a picture or two of the bike....dems da rules.... Laughing
stratos23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2Bims - thanks for the speedy reply!

I've been enjoying your posts Wink ...your pictorial step by step account of your DB2 rebuild is a goldmine of detailed info! How's the DB1 coming along? Looks like a good one!

Funny, for several years, I've been quietly watching them (DB1's) come and go around the world and most of the time, they appear on this forum sooner or later.

Yes, I've seen the Swiss register and intend to register - these things are only as good as the number of people who participate. #529 changed hands recently too - it's still in the country though (unlike a lot of exotic stuff that gets cherry picked by cashed up offshore buyers).

Mine has belonged to a friend for over 20 years, so I know its local history well. There are 5 DB1's and 2 DB1SR's that I'm aware of in NZ - but possibly more. Italian bikes are very popular here considering the population - well suited to our twisty roads! APPARENTLY 4 std DB1's were sold new here PLUS one SR/RS. I'm not sure whether they all came via Gowanlochs or not (anyone?)

Thanks for the parts book link. I do have a printed copy but would LOVE a WORKSHOP MANUAL if one ever existed...? (even an electronic version) And YES PLEASE - any other literature would be much appreciated - I'll PM you my email address. Similarly, I have a swag of period magazine articles that I'd be happy to scan and share.

Circuit for Fuel light on dash works ok. The sensor itself may even work, but has just been mangled at the connection (first part of the sensor that makes contact with the workbench). I'll persavere with that (would just be nice to have that light working!).

And Ok, ok - here's a pic - but being a bit of a photographer, I haven't had a change to take any decent ones yet, but will post when I do (incidenatally, the
bike has ALL its original bits - even the rear undercowl) - don't have any images uploaded to anywhere as yet, so I'll try this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154509664004468&set=a.10154509663964468.1073741826.646984467&type=3&theater

[/img][/i]
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to Ian Gowanloch last week and he told me about the Bimotas he imported. I think he said he brought in about 20 DB1s.

If you want more info on your bike, try giving Ian a call at Italspares.

He still has Stephan Mertens YB4 which was raced in World Superbike.
stratos23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that - yeah, I know Ian and have been to his farm full of treasures. He certainly has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Ducati related. I'd love to know more about the history etc though - how many of those DB1's he originally imported are still kicking around. But I'm currently talking to him about parts, so will investigate.

Cheers!
brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum stratos. DB1 is still on my to do list Rolling Eyes .

As 2bims says, pics are compulsory, so you don't want to get offside with mr moderator Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
stratos23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian - wouldn't want that! I did try uploading a pic via a link to Facebook, but it didn't seem to work. From what I see, you can't load a file directly from your computer - it needs to be a link to file that's already uploaded somewhere online - is that correct?
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Most people seem to struggle initially to post photos and I am sure others will jump in with their method. The easiest way I have found (with help from others admittedly!) is to create a Photobucket account and load your photos from there, just use the IMG option from the 'Share this photo' option, should display 'copied' then you can 'paste' in your forum post. Good luck Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And....as if by Magic...the image appears.......

stratos23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..ah, magic is a wonderful thing!

I plan to take a few better shots over the weekend, so will endeavour to post them shortly.

Thanks Steven!
brian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks very nice, in good Nic. I've noticed that some DB1's have mirrors on the fairing and some don't?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh....they were an optional extra, like indicators, and unlike as usual for Bimotas...you can still buy the mirrors brand new....called California Vittaloni......unlike the indicators which you cant get anymore other than stock at BimotaClassicParts....but he only has the long ones for the rear...and not the short ones that were used on the front.......
stratos23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as promised, some better shots of DB1 #404. It's not immaculate, but well-loved/used and very original - including all the paintwork and typical manifold scorching on bellypan (I think I'd rather repaint another set of fairings than the original ones - no going back, once they're painted). The only non-std item is a floating rear disk.

Still looking for that fuel sender....

Right, here goes first attempt at uploading pics from newly-created Photobucket account (bit clunky!!)

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0527_zpsju4xdulh.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0533_zpsw1x10obu.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0574_zpsq4lxhdsj.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0561_zps7wmhghrw.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0557_zps4fkc0bye.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0550_zps3zxwukjj.jpg.html

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/hungrysnakeracing/media/_FEB0548_zps7jidlpga.jpg.html
[/img]
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh......so close to getting them to fully upload....if you hover your mouse over the IMG link on the right of each picture and click....it auto copies and then simply right click in the open post on the Forum and paste it in.....

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Original example....even with the original rear stand...Staintune exhusts? Are they chrome or shiney polished alloy? Never seen a full floater rear disc fitted to the back before....makes a nice change....standard one being a plain Cast iron unit.....I've been tempted several times to fit original indicators, but they are so rare they are always expensive...roughly 200gbp for a full set...and I bet if I fitted them I'd then snap one...so probably wouldnt fit them even if I had them....as evidently "new" ones would still be some 30 years old and always likely to be brittle.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: