Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Thrilled to introduce my new DB1...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shay001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Bim, no, it does not have the alloy tank, but this bike has had a hard life, surprisingly hard in fact. Replica bodywork in only fair condition. The steering damper (if I had one) mounts to a lug on the frame (near one of the holes for the bodywork bolts) and then to a corresponding mount on the lower fork stanchion.

I have measured it and require maybe 30 or so cm? I got one off loud bike Steve but it is too short. If I knew how to attach pics to this post I would photo and post. Full travel this damper is 24cm, full left lock 12.5cm, way too short so perhaps the one you have is correct.

My belief is it was a grey import from Japan, first registered in New South Wales, Australia, in September 1999. Thanks for the welcome, got the correct plugs this morning too. Although the frame no. has been vandalized you can still make it out. Other documents that came with the sale confirm the number DB1*00086*. Engine number is ZDM750L*7501199*

Trouble is she is a pig to start, flooding etc.

Non original mufflers, mine are Contis which had just started to corrode, but got them ceramic coated and they look great. Sound amazing too.

When I picked it up it had sat for about 5 years, no hydraulic fluid, brakes seized. In fact the rear caliper has been soaking in diesel for the last 2 years, luckily I picked up a second hand caliper via eBay and the front calipers were not so far gone, overhauled and work well now.

Airbox is also plastic, I was able to get a K&N for it, apparently same as fitted to Mk V(?) Moto Guzzi. Clock says a little under 16,000km. I doubt it has been around twice, just very poorly treated (what a shame).

I prefer this bike to my 848 EVO, I am 172cm so the DB1 fits me like a glove.
stratos23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shay001 wrote:
Ian Gowanloch imported 41 DB1 into Australia, in 3 batches. He no longer has records of which frame nos. When trying to trace mine he could not say whether or not it was one of his.

Early ones that he imported had the Australian compliance plates glued on, he did not want to drill holes in the frame, trouble is these glued ones frequently fell off.

One of this group of 41 went to New Zealand, it's probably yours, trouble is it is hard to find out, given Ian no longer has records and when I enquired directly to BIMOTA about my DB1 they directed me to BIMOTA Classic Parts, who claims he can find out what went where, but I am still waiting 6 months later for info on my bike.

Oh well, I bought it to ride anyway, not do a family tree Wink

Hi Shay, Thanks for the info!

Yes, I've asked Ian and had the same reply. He mentioned that Gownaloch's in Sydney may still have all those records, since he passed them on when he sold the business.

41 DB1's is a pretty good allotment when you think of how many were made in total - that's more than the US or the UK got to my knowledge! I wonder how many of those 41 are still in Oz? As I understand, NZ got 4 std ones and one RS - but not sure whether these were part of those 41 or not.

Mine was sold new in Australia by Ian and then imported here 2nd hand (only just) in about '92 - see pic of Italspares VIN plate attached.

The DB1 that featured in all the Australian bike mag reviews is here in NZ to - only a couple of numbers different to mine.

I do love digging up the history on these things, but also agree - I'd much rather be riding the thing (although the weather's been so poo here of late, that trawling the net for scraps of info seems pretty appealing).

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w460/hungrysnakeracing/BrntDB1-31_zpsmbre695p.jpg
[/img]
shay001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, 41 out of the total is a good share, I saw one advertised a while ago, in the US, asking $60,000 USD. I see you have a Morini too. My current major project is a 1976 3 1/2 Sport. I don't smoke, not into controlled substances and don't drink that much either, my only vice is Italian bikes.

One of the bikes Ian imported was repainted black and gold, used in an advertising campaign, apparently that bike is still in Sydney. By the time Ian imported the batch from which your bike came he learnt to rivet the plates on. Gluing was not such a good idea.

This is actually the second one I bought, the first, chassis number 397 (ex racer) I bought for my ex, it came to me in the property settlement but I had to sell it as nearly complete unassembled to cover my legal costs.

Apparently she is mightily pissed off that I managed to acquire another. Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered about that black and gold edition of the DB1....very JPS Norton/Formula one colours....wonder if Bimota painted it to order or the importer??

And heres the Original sales brochure for anyone thats interested....you can click on the image and print off....A4 double sided....occassionally the odd Original one turns up on ebay

Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black bike is interesting. That brochure is from Italspares which is Ian Gowanloch who was the original importer of Bimotas and it looks like he sold quite a few of them (in relative terms).
shay001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the black DB1 still exists "somewhere in Sydney". No other information than that.
stratos23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shay001 wrote:
yes, 41 out of the total is a good share, I saw one advertised a while ago, in the US, asking $60,000 USD. I see you have a Morini too. My current major project is a 1976 3 1/2 Sport. I don't smoke, not into controlled substances and don't drink that much either, my only vice is Italian bikes.

One of the bikes Ian imported was repainted black and gold, used in an advertising campaign, apparently that bike is still in Sydney. By the time Ian imported the batch from which your bike came he learnt to rivet the plates on. Gluing was not such a good idea.

This is actually the second one I bought, the first, chassis number 397 (ex racer) I bought for my ex, it came to me in the property settlement but I had to sell it as nearly complete unassembled to cover my legal costs.

Apparently she is mightily pissed off that I managed to acquire another. Laughing

$US6OK for a DB1!?! Sounds pretty optimistic to me. Steve Munroe only wanted $45K for that BRAND NEW in the crate DB1 SR not that long ago.

Ha, like you things made in Italy with wheels and engines are my vice too. I actually have a 1976 Morini 3 1/2 Sport as well - or rather it's more my girlfriend's bike. it's totally original and in perfect nick. She loves it too. My Kanguro is waiting for an engine rebuild at present. Great engines - my first ever italian bike was a Morini 500 Sport.

I have a few other Italian bikes and cars kicking around. And scooters. Been racing old 60's Alfa for a while now too. Got the Latin bug pretty bad it seems.

So this is your SECOND DB1 - good on you for getting another. They're pretty addictive. Mine's pretty original, so don't really want to muck with it. But the idea of a hotrod is rather appealing. I'm doing this with an F1 - fitting a 1000DS motor and running gear etc. - but leaving my other F1 as original, since it's a bit like the DB1. I do like this mid-80's era - when Ducati's were still quite raw and simple - yet capable and bulletproof enough to be thrilling to ride.

I'll give you a shout next time I'm in Australia - I'm over all the time with work. Best of luck!
shay001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are most welcome, I can even provide a bike, some good roads around here.

Trouble is the filth, they really are a pack of fascists.

I envy you living in NZ, Australia is a real nanny state now, anything fun is banned, you can't even bungy jump in NSW. Fireworks - banned, jet skis on Sydney Harbour - banned

Zorbing - banned. I am waiting for smiling to be banned too.

Just came back from my ride, f**k knows how many laws I broke, but the DB1 was pulling 6 grand in 5th gear
stratos23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha - that sounds pretty familiar. Glad to hear that the DB1 can still impress an 848 rider!

The more I ride bikes, the more I appreciate character/personality in a bike. Which is why I love riding a 450 Desmo so much - not that fast by modern standards, but SO MUCH personality (and actually super torquey and razor sharp in the corners). Which is also why I like Italian bikes from that mid eighties era - an awesome balance of performance AND personality. Which is where the DB1 comes in.

That said, I'd still love a more modern bike in the mix one day. But then I think of a 916 as modern!

I agree on the litigious nature of Australia. I work in the film industry and getting anything done over there is a lot like hard work - which also makes things more expensive. It seems you even need a permit to get out of bed!! And the road policing situation very much reflects this. I thought NZ was bad, but Australia is off the scale!! I don't know how you guys even manage to hold onto your licences. Not sure if you've ridden in Europe, but it's the complete opposite - the police seem to be focussed on more important things, which is reflected in the quality of the driving in general. You know what they say - "take the responsibility away from the people and the people will behave irresponsibly".

I'll take you up on that next time I'm in your hood - awesome! Same goes if you're over this way!
shay001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there is an old joke "sure I live in a free society, I have all the licenses and permits to prove it".

You can't even cast a handline to catch a fish here anymore unless you buy a one day fishing license ($2.50 at your bait shop). No joke

Henry Cole road across Australia (sure THE most boring trip one can do) and made the comment, after his camera car was fined $220 "I get the feeling that I am in a police state.

Stratos me old mate, my family have been in this country since 1791 (third fleet) and I am more or less over it. If I had the readies I would relocate to europe in a heartbeat.

Bitching and moaning aside, as you can see I am in Wollongong which is a pretty good area visually.

I know what you mean by the 450 and "personality" my first bike was a 250 MkIII. It was not reliable, in fact sometimes quite cantankerous, but there was something, I do not know what, that set it apart from the UJM that were everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: